The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Any1 got any links?
Reply 21
OMG da exam is on monday right!? :'(
not sure if im ready got n exam 2mro and friday and working on the weekend! need 2 revise more! i know my ratios and CPA is easy now i got the hang of it, n motivational theories is kool aswell, but i am so not sure about the whole trade union and employee participiation, if it comes up i reckon im pretty screwed lol. how is everyone else goin with revision? anyone feeling as bummed as me!? :frown:
I reely wana do good, n im sure every1 else does too! last yr for AS i got an overall B missed an A grade by about 10 marks lol and have u guys looked at unit 5, O M G, id rather do coursework!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Reply 23
The Economic B00m
OMG da exam is on monday right!? :'(
not sure if im ready got n exam 2mro and friday and working on the weekend! need 2 revise more! i know my ratios and CPA is easy now i got the hang of it, n motivational theories is kool aswell, but i am so not sure about the whole trade union and employee participiation, if it comes up i reckon im pretty screwed lol. how is everyone else goin with revision? anyone feeling as bummed as me!? :frown:
I reely wana do good, n im sure every1 else does too! last yr for AS i got an overall B missed an A grade by about 10 marks lol and have u guys looked at unit 5, O M G, id rather do coursework!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Unit 5 I'm doin in january to get it outta the way, really looking forward to it actually, should be awesome, it reminds me of AQA economics unit 4, which I also enjoyed :biggrin:
Reply 24
Can someone tell me in unit 5, when assessing a company, how many points do you need to mention in total?

Same question for the second part of the question in a unit 5 paper?
Reply 25
Yeah i've done quite a lot of revision for unit 4 and i saw the 60 odd % for an A and was suprised... very suprised.

Where does it say in the big tett book written by ian marcouse about hard/soft apprach to HRm? I'm not very sure what this is.
Reply 26
Einsteinium
Yeah i've done quite a lot of revision for unit 4 and i saw the 60 odd % for an A and was suprised... very suprised.

Where does it say in the big tett book written by ian marcouse about hard/soft apprach to HRm? I'm not very sure what this is.

I've got a little 'partner' textbook written by Malcolm Surridge that i couldn't live without this year.

Hard/Soft HRM is basically Autocratic and Democratic leadership styles. The 'Hard' approach sees employees as just resources - therefore they would be given short-term contracts and no job security, meaning motivation for things other than money would be low (think Taylor's Theory X). Whereas the 'Soft' approach sees employees as valuable to the firm, and so employers are likely to spend time (and money) making sure they're happy and feel involved (think Maslow's heirarchy of needs).

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 27
Also when looking at hard/soft HRM don't forget to consider the benefits to a firm:

Hard HRM:
Workers are given absolute instructions, this allows managers to ensure that the tasks they want completing will be done, this is very useful to a manager with an unskilled/minimum wage work force. The are there to do a simple job and hard HRM allows them to do that.
Also hard HRM ensures that the firm as a whole is working to the same common goal. Senior management have a lot of control over the workforce and will direct the staff to complete tasks that can meet the firms' objectives.

Soft HRM:
The inclusion of teamworking, manager feedback, appraisal, all can act as motivators. The meet Herzbergs motivators, Maslows higher needs (social needs, esteem needs and to a certain extent self actualisation). Thus increasing productivity, reducing unit cost, wasteage, staff turnover and absenteesim. All proving beneficial to the firm in the long run.

It is really about looking at when and why a particular HRM technique should be used. Yes it is widely believed that hard HRM is non-beneficial to a firm but in some instances it can be - mainly for unskilled labour. I spy evaluation marks...!
Reply 28
I doubt HRM comes up considering it came up in Jan 2006. Look to revise topics that were not in Jan/Jun 06 papers like Unions and Laws
Reply 29
irfan121
I doubt HRM comes up considering it came up in Jan 2006. Look to revise topics that were not in Jan/Jun 06 papers like Unions and Laws

I wouldn't take that for granted, i'd rather know everything and be pleasantly (or unpleasantly) surprised rather than just say 'of course that's not coming up again' and be screwed when a question on it comes up. Btw, Laws aren't that prominent on the specification, you don't need to know them in that much depth.
Reply 30
What i meant was to look more into topics that have not came up recently...
You need to know the impact of these laws...
Reply 31
I failed miserably :frown: There was not enough thinking time with the whole 'mark a minute', never mind, guess im going to have to be resitting in June.
Reply 32
irfan121

lol, the massive 20 mark question was on what topic.... HRM >_>

You must be pissed.
Reply 33
TOSCS
lol, the massive 20 mark question was on what topic.... HRM >_>

You must be pissed.

:rofl:

To be fair it was only 16 marks.
Reply 34
Hev456
:rofl:

To be fair it was only 16 marks.

Yep, and thats a 16 mark question that half of the people taking the paper won't have even managed to finish anyway.

I thought it was a tough one this time for timing, thats why I did question 4 second :biggrin:

Oh well, back to wonderful economics for unit 6, it's a pitty the exam structure is identical to unit 4, except for the extra 20 UMS. Looks like we all better learn how to write super fast!
Reply 35
zrancis
Yep, and thats a 16 mark question that half of the people taking the paper won't have even managed to finish anyway.

I thought it was a tough one this time for timing, thats why I did question 4 second :biggrin:

Oh well, back to wonderful economics for unit 6, it's a pitty the exam structure is identical to unit 4, except for the extra 20 UMS. Looks like we all better learn how to write super fast!

You know boasting to people about how well you have done does not make them feel better!!!
Anyway, i always think that after an exam its best just to forget it, you cant change what you have or have not done.
wether resitting or not well done peeps, as long as you tryd!:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending