The Student Room Group

Of Mice And Men,! Please help

Who is Carlson? I haven't read or seen the film since September and forgotten. Please help as I don't have time to watch the movie or read the book by tomorrow

Scroll to see replies

Carlson is a big, stupid and completely insensitive bloke. He shoots candys dog because it smells, he has no heart. He stirs up trouble and doesnt understand anything.
Reply 2
Original post by JamieDutts
Carlson is a big, stupid and completely insensitive bloke. He shoots candys dog because it smells, he has no heart. He stirs up trouble and doesnt understand anything.

Is that the only part of the book he come up in? Do you think he will come up because if so I don't have a clue what to talk...
Yes he could do
Original post by Hollie1903
Is that the only part of the book he come up in? Do you think he will come up because if so I don't have a clue what to talk...
Reply 4
Original post by JamieDutts
Yes he could do

What would you talk about? I don't know how to revise...
Reply 5
Original post by Hollie1903

Trust me he will 100% not come up! He is only really seen at one part of the novel when he kills candys dog! There will never be an essay question on him... And it is very very unlikely the extract question will be on him!!

evryone is predicting that candy will come up so learn about him and his place in hierarchy and also the context of the book
There is no way Carlson could come up, he's barely given 2 lines in the entire book!
However Curley and George may...
Reply 7
Original post by Chardevs
Trust me he will 100% not come up! He is only really seen at one part of the novel when he kills candys dog! There will never be an essay question on him... And it is very very unlikely the extract question will be on him!!

evryone is predicting that candy will come up so learn about him and his place in hierarchy and also the context of the book

Okay thank you :smile:
it will most likely be curley
Reply 9
he also features at the end when he states "what's wrong with him?" referring to George's upset about the shooting of Lennie. Carlson can be seen as they typical American in 1930's who's selfish and only considers about his own dream. The mice an men question tomorrow will be on Curley's wife or Carlson I think so get learning!
Original post by Chardevs

Be careful, although he does seem like a minor and mostly is one, he represents quite a few themes. Its all down to how harsh AQA want to be, however my bet is on Curley.
He is the epitome of the word "insensitive". He decides death is in many cases the best way to achieve his goals. This is evident in the shooting of Candy's dog as it "smelled" too bad. He does not take any account of the years that Candy has spent with it and the emotional bond they had. Instead he believes it can easily be replaced by Slim's bitch. Another example is when Lennie kills Curley's wife. Carlson is quick to jump the gun (pardon the pun) and like Curley rapidly finds a shotgun to try and kill Lennie, despite it being CURLEY'S wife and not his. When George shoots his childhood friend Lennie, who were like father-son, brother-brother and freind-freind, Carlson has no idea why George was upset; "Now what the hell is eatin them two guys" (Reffering to George and Slim thinking about Lennie)
Reply 12
Slim will most likely come up
It is possible he could come up. My teacher said its unlikely he will but he could. Everyone is saying it will be curley though which is easier. And you should have time to read the book again. Its short and your could probably get through it quickly to refresh your memory.
Reply 14
For the second question in the OMAM section, how much should you be writing, baring in mind I'm predicted an a*
What points would people make about Curley?
- inferiority complex
- aggressive, fighting background
- lack of love for his wife, women in 1930s merely treated as a possession of their husband, emphasised by the fact he is angry, not sad at her death

Anything else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Is this thread for the AQA or Edexcel OMAM test?
Original post by Matthew13
- inferiority complex
- lack of love for his wife, women in 1930s merely treated as a possession of their husband, emphasised by the fact he is angry, not sad at her death

Anything else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that he definitely holds a grudge against Slim because Slim has the respect that Curley thinks he "Rightly" deserves and also the Label given to Slim about "Prince of the Ranch" suggests that Slim is taking Curley's rightful place, which would explain why he was quick to jump to assumptions about his wife and Slim.
Reply 18
Original post by zendog
Is this thread for the AQA or Edexcel OMAM test?

Aqa but everyone could use it for ideas
Original post by Matthew13
- inferiority complex

Anything else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's insecure and therefore picks "on smaller guys" to make give himself a sense of control over the chaos that is the Great Depression
He is arguably the loneliest character in the book and incapable of understanding the true value of companionship (which as you've said, is emphasised by his anger at his wife's death)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending