The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Trinity Hall (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone going to TH next year got their freshers packs yet? i think my postman is stealing from me...
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 61
nope, still waiting
Reply 62
they seem to be a little slow on the fresher's pack. weird, they've always been speedy on everything else...
Should be with you v. soon, college families are being sorted out as we speak as well. Woo, I'm like, heavily pregnant or something, with three (perils of two husbands)...
Reply 64
if they r sorting families as we speak does that mean they still haven't sent them? grrr
I know, but it's down to us student committee types to sort things out, and the info needed to do it has only just come into our possession! The JCR committee organises everything for freshers' week, and we've got dissertations etc. to do as well, and the list of freshers only arrived with the welfare officers yesterday. Rest assured you'll get your mummies, daddies and freshers packs soon!
Thanx a lot ambellina :smile: Glad to know I don't have to put my postman in jail...
Reply 67
I need to book flights to come over soon - what is the earliest date you can move in to the halls? I know the letter said either the 29th or 30th of September, is this too late or too early?
gerjomarty
I need to book flights to come over soon - what is the earliest date you can move in to the halls? I know the letter said either the 29th or 30th of September, is this too late or too early?

Those dates are the usual that people move in for, but if you have special circumstances/need to be earlier, ring the Tutorial Office - they're usually really accommodating but will need to charge you rent for the extra time you stay in your room if it's not in the rent period! It shouldn't be a big problem long as you let 'em know so porters are expecting you, and us friendly committee folk should be around to help you settle in!
tarka
Yeah, loads of people row in the first term. My friend who was superbly unsporty at school has really caught the rowing bug and now rows for the first boat. Its a really good thing to have a go at.

Superbly unsporty? Harsh, but true.
Excellent, received both freshers pack and room number, as well as a parent. Now just to get ready to go...
Reply 71
Yep, I'll be in Q12. Time to go shopping for everything! :smile:

Oh, meant to ask, I know we need to wear a gown for the photo on 1st October, but do we also need to be dressed in shirt/tie and wearing the gown for the actual matriculation that you bring all of your certificates to?
Err...guys, perhaps you should be communicating via PM with room numbers etc? The forum is public and it's kinda easy to get into TH...
Also, I'm curious, so who are your parents? PM me (they mightn't appreciate their names mentioned on here!)
Reply 74
when we showed our certificates we weren't dressed up at all we just stood in a queue whilst they ticked our names off a list.
For matriculation photo and dinner you will need your gown and a suit or smart trousers/shirt/tie if you are a boy. For girls : Apart from your gown, you will need a black skirt/ pair of trousers and a preferably white/lightly coloured blouse for the matriculation photo. For matriculation dinner you can just wear formal clothes (smart trousers/skirt and a pretty top/blouse or a dress) under your gown (like you would at a normal Formal).
Reply 75
Q12 along with some other Q staircase rooms has a random pole in the middle...for structural support i think.
I'll look forward to there maybe being a pole in my room... Do guys have to wear light coloured/white shirts or are any plain ones fine? I'll see if I can withdraw my room number, save any angry postmen knocking on my door.
Reply 77
I am just in the process of sending off my Cambridge application. I originally put down Fitzwilliam, but I am now having doubts. I actually preferred Trinity Hall at the open day, but was put off for fear that an older and more traditional college such as this one might have a sight bias towards private school students (of which I am not one). I am hoping that this slight worry is unfounded. Has anyone heard of this college being one of those such colleges?
no, no and no again. we've actually got a very dynamic admissions tutor who does everything he can to encourage people from non-cambridge backgrounds to apply, and our college access officer also has great ideas about that. in short, tit hall really want people from non-typical backgrounds. don't apply on sneaking suspicions (plus fitz is a bit far out and rubbish), go for where you feel comfortable! trinity hall is lovely and inclusive (and as someone from a bog-standard welsh comp i'd know!)
ticos
I am just in the process of sending off my Cambridge application. I originally put down Fitzwilliam, but I am now having doubts. I actually preferred Trinity Hall at the open day, but was put off for fear that an older and more traditional college such as this one might have a sight bias towards private school students (of which I am not one). I am hoping that this slight worry is unfounded. Has anyone heard of this college being one of those such colleges?

In short, no. As far a I've noticed, my year is about 50:50 - people come from a real mixture of backgrounds. In fact, the CUSU Alternative prospectus (http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/prospective/prospectus/alternativeprospectus.pdf) says at Trinity Hall, the State:Private school ratio is 55:45. So your worries seem to be unfounded!

Good luck with your application :smile:

Quick Reply