The Student Room Group

Alcohol is the root of prostitution, rape, incest and AIDS. says university lecturer

KUALA LUMPUR, May 18 Alcohol is likely to blame for prostitution, rape, incest, and even the spread of AIDS, controversial lecturer Ridhuan Tee Abdullah claimed today in a column labelling liquor as the “root of all evil”.

The Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin lecturer also urged Malaysia to close all breweries in the country and stop serving it during flights, and told Muslims that they should only wait until heaven to consume alcohol.

“If you want to drink alcohol so much, make sure you enter heaven in the afterlife, because alcohol there is like a flowing river. Drink to your heart’s content.

“But in life, you cannot, because it brings harm. Take lesson from this,” Tee said in his column in Malay daily Sinar Harian.

Tee was referring to verse 47:15 in Quran, which describes heaven as possessing rivers of “unadulterated water, milk, delicious wine, and clarified honey” for the righteous.

He also cited a research by the US Department of Justice which he claimed found that rape cases involving drunkards occur at least once every day.

The study also says that most AIDS patients consume alcohol, Tee claimed.

Tee however did not specify which research he was referring to, nor did he explain how consuming alcohol leads a person to enter the sex industry or contract AIDS.

“I suggest we just close breweries which do not bring any benefit to humans. Furthermore, not serving alcohol in flight or even anywhere, like what Brunei is doing.

"This is because, all religions are against alcohol,” Tee said.

Islam, Jainism and Sikhism are among the only religions which strictly prohibit the consumption of alcohol, although others condemn drunkenness.

Tee also urged all state governments, especially Kuala Lumpur, Selangor and Penang, to follow the footsteps of Terengganu and Kelantan to ban the sale of alcohol.

Tee’s column today came in response to Malaysia Airlines’ (MAS) flight MH179 which was forced to turn back from its flight to Sri Lanka earlier this month, after 54-year-old German passenger Dietmar Ross became disruptive during the flight.

MAS initially released a statement describing Ross as “intoxicated” although it was later revealed that he had not been drunk then.

The cause of the altercation is not known.

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/ridhuan-tee-alcohol-to-blame-for-prostitution-rape-incest-aids

http://www.malaysiandigest.com/frontpage/29-4-tile/554126-ridhuan-tee-says-alcohol-root-of-all-evil-urges-muslims-to-enter-heaven-if-they-want-to-consume.html
I'm surprised no one has commented on your post Gnome Mage (What realm do you play on? :P ) considering it's a really interesting and controversial topic.

I actually agree with the university lecturer alcohol is not even considered a drug by most people and they consume it by the gallon every week. I wouldn't say alcohol is the 'root of all evil' but let's be honest how much would the NHS be saved if no one drank alcohol? And how many driving accidents could be avoided? How many lives could be saved?

Quick Reply

Latest