Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Downing College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How's Downing for Maths or Economics?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Downing seems to have a very small proportion of Mathmos, averagely about 4-5 Mathmos in the first year, compared with the nearly 100 strong Natsci intake and those of other subjects. Of course, Downing is more famed for medicine and law.

Some good reasons to apply Mathematics at Downing College:
    1.)Standard STEP offer is grade 1 and 2 in STEP II and III in any order. This is rather reasonable and not so harsh compared with grade 1 and 1 offer from many other colleges.
    2.)Rather near to first year lectures.
    3.)
    (Original post by Kyle_S-C)
    More importantly, there's also a Pizza Express two doors down from college and Zizzi's do £5.30 takeaway pizzas (cheaper than Pizza Hut and Pizza Express)...not of course that some of us eat far too much pizza...
    Kyle
    4.)For international students, you're eligible for the very prestigious and competitive Jardine Scholarship. (Eligible for Downing, Magdalene and Trinity offer-holders)

Can't say I know how's Downing for Economics.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khaixiang)
    Downing seems to have a very small proportion of Mathmos, averagely about 4-5 Mathmos in the first year, compared with the nearly 100 strong Natsci intake and those of other subjects. Of course, Downing is more famed for medicine and law.
    I think that number is correct as regards mathmos, however this year's intake of natscis was only 22 (I think...hopefully I'm not forgetting anyone). We do have a lot of medics too...somewhere around 15-18 and we do have a reputation for good medics and good lawyers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think that number is correct as regards mathmos, however this year's intake of natscis was only 22 (I think...hopefully I'm not forgetting anyone). We do have a lot of medics too...somewhere around 15-18 and we do have a reputation for good medics and good lawyers.
    Ahh.. silly me :p: 100+ is the total number of applicants for natsci. Thanks for the correction. But the idea is that lawyers, medics and natscis comprised half (47.2%) of the first year undergraduate population in Downing, with 1/5 of Downingites being a natsci.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    downing medicine is wack. everything else mediocres in comparison
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah i'm pretty pleased to have a place for medicine 2007 at downing!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey people,

just wondering what clubs people usually get involved in/are involved in?

do you find you have a lot of spare time to be part of many clubs or should you just focus on one sport?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OH MYY GOODDD.

i visited Downing on the Monday open day. It's so so so pretty. I've actually fallen in love with it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have seen Downing a few times before too and I must agree with you. It is definitely going to be my college of choice. Time to get crossing fingers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking Downing for Eco, did work experience there a couple of years ago and really loved the place, let's have a look at the open day in September!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which open day are you going to, E M?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danfel)
    Which open day are you going to, E M?
    17th September I think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to try to make it to the open day on September 10th, subject to various other factors. But hopefully.

edit: Oh, and anything to report of note from your work experience?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Prettiness is certainly a big plus...all the buildings match too, which is nice. 1st year accommodation is very plush too...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    table tennis team is recruiting so if youre awesome apply to downing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Prettiness is certainly a big plus...all the buildings match too, which is nice. 1st year accommodation is very plush too...
    Yay for oolitic limestone! (Geology rocks)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't row if you're going to Downing. They have a scary bearded guy in their 3rd boat.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowCatz)
    Don't row if you're going to Downing. They have a scary bearded guy in their 3rd boat.
    *waves to Kar Meng*
    I've had a shave y'know Plus I'm hoping to be in M4 instead anyhoo
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Flipside)
    *waves to Kar Meng*
    I've had a shave y'know Plus I'm hoping to be in M4 instead anyhoo
    I've quit rowing this term to focus on work. It didn't work.

I'm looking forward to watching you in pain.

Oh! And remember that you and Rob still owe me a formal.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Do it in Michaelmas...much better atmosphere in the dark, plus it means you don't have as clear a view of Rob's face, which is always a good thing.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 13, 2014
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.