The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Downing College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
His 12 year old babyface scares me...

And Al, my cousin says you like a puppy.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 41
He's 13 now, we celebrated his 13th birthday...
Reply 42
Kyle_S-C
He's 13 now, we celebrated his 13th birthday...

Maybe a can star in Harry Potter and the Foetus now!
Reply 43
danfel
I'm going to try to make it to the open day on September 10th, subject to various other factors. But hopefully.

edit: Oh, and anything to report of note from your work experience?

My work experience? I was in the Biochemistry department with my former cricket team manager lol, wasn't the most exciting experience but I did get a bit involved with some accounts. Good thing was though, whenever we had a cricket match I got to leave early with him and get a lift to the ground!
Reply 44
Hey guys I'm going to apply for maths at Cambridge later this year and I was wondering how much support does Downing give for the course? Thanx.
I'm thinking of applying to Downing (for MML)...what made you guys choose it? :smile:
Reply 46
Any more Downing applicants this year?

In response to Jonny, I'm applying because they have a strong law society by the sound of things and also have links with UVa which is interesting for me for a number of reasons. Not to mention the place is stunning :biggrin:
Reply 47
i might apply to downing for medicine. what is the college like?
Reply 48
I'm thinking of applying to Downing for next year.....how is it accommodation wise? Is there a change of getting en-suites (esp in your first year) and if not, with how many do you share bathrooms? How good are the self-catering facilities? Im vegetarian so I'd like to cook a lot myself....And finally, I read that there is accommodation in hostels, are they far from the College grounds and what are they like?
Reply 49
t47
i might apply to downing for medicine. what is the college like?

Appearance wise. It's absolutely breathtaking! Not an ugly building in site. It's also shielded from the rest of Cambridge and the roads, making it nice and peaceful, whilst still being very close to the centre of town.
And everyone there was so friendly when I went up.
Reply 50
htid
I'm thinking of applying to Downing for next year.....how is it accommodation wise? Is there a change of getting en-suites (esp in your first year) and if not, with how many do you share bathrooms? How good are the self-catering facilities? Im vegetarian so I'd like to cook a lot myself....And finally, I read that there is accommodation in hostels, are they far from the College grounds and what are they like?

In the first year, you get to pick which price band you'd prefer to be in, either low (£60-80 a week) or higher (£80-100 a week). All higher band rooms are ensuite with the price being higher if you're in the Kenny building as the kitchen's are much larger and better equipped, whilst the Howard Court rooms are large and also ensuite but with a smaller kitchen.
There's only 30 lower band rooms which are usually found on the I, J and L staircases of the main court. They probably get the better views however most of them have to share, although not all of them. I'd say there's only about 20 rooms for first years with shared toilet facilities. I don't know how many people you have to share with, but I doubt it's anymore than 4/5.
Downing is all catered and don't worry they'll have vegetarian options. However if you still prefer to cook yourself, it's possible. Just depends on which room you get.
Accomodation in hostels basically means sharing a house with other people. Basically you get your own room and then share the kitchen and bathroom with the other people in the house. These aren't far away, but are only allocated to second or third year students. Don't worry about those, first years all get accomodation in the main college bit itself.

:smile: Hope that helped.
Reply 51
Helped me a lot! Choosing a College is starting to freak me out, I make it a very important thing :s-smilie:. Somehow the list of my final four didn't appeal to me anymore so I went back to older options.....One last question though: My bf lives in London, what if he wants to stay over for weekends? I read that some Colleges only allow this for a certain number of nights in a row and per term, but I also heard that people hardly care and no one notices anyway... Do you know the Downing regulations? Ooooh and do you have formal hall? I couldn't find anything on their website, but I love the idea of wearing gowns and stuff :biggrin:
I'm almost sure that I'll be applying to Downing now, partly because everyone seems to be so friendly there :smile: Has Downing got a reputation for being an especially competitive college for natsci? Is it posh/rah? Are the admission tutors/directors of studies nice or intimidating? Do you get 2 bio interviews or one chem/maths one? etc etc. Anything people can tell me will be great! :smile:

htid, are you applying for bionatsci? If you are might see you around at interview! :smile:
Reply 53
Excalibur
htid, are you applying for bionatsci? If you are might see you around at interview! :smile:

yep and I'm almost sure now that it will be Downing as well! The photograph on the CAF, does it have to be all passport standard, without smiling and looking like a gangster and stuff? Cos in Germany you can do all nice and friendly photos for applications.
htid
yep and I'm almost sure now that it will be Downing as well! The photograph on the CAF, does it have to be all passport standard, without smiling and looking like a gangster and stuff? Cos in Germany you can do all nice and friendly photos for applications.

Well, even for my passport photo I am smiling a little (though not overly). I doubt it matters - it's only there for recognition purposes.

Oooh, we're in direct competition then :wink: Are you doing the Abitur? Hope both of us get in!
Reply 55
Thanks for the info! Really bothered me when I made the photo today. Yes I'm doing Abitur, I hope my grades will be good enough! At the moment Downing is still competing with Homerton for me, but tbh they seem pretty much the same to me concerning the things which are important to me.
htid
Thanks for the info! Really bothered me when I made the photo today. Yes I'm doing Abitur, I hope my grades will be good enough! At the moment Downing is still competing with Homerton for me, but tbh they seem pretty much the same to me concerning the things which are important to me.

I never considered Homerton (location was important for me!) but it seems like a nice college from the prospectus. :smile:

ich studiere Deutsch für A-level :biggrin: Come and join us in the German Learners' Soc (natives welcome!) in the Foreign Languages forum!
Reply 57
Just asking...is this the right address then for my CAF :biggrin:

Downing College, Regent Street, Cambridge CB2 1DQ
Reply 58
^^ I sent mine to that one and got a very speedy reply card - so it is right :P I'd like to echo Excalibur's request for any more general info: it would be really appreciated :smile:
Reply 59
htid
Helped me a lot! Choosing a College is starting to freak me out, I make it a very important thing :s-smilie:. Somehow the list of my final four didn't appeal to me anymore so I went back to older options.....One last question though: My bf lives in London, what if he wants to stay over for weekends? I read that some Colleges only allow this for a certain number of nights in a row and per term, but I also heard that people hardly care and no one notices anyway... Do you know the Downing regulations? Ooooh and do you have formal hall? I couldn't find anything on their website, but I love the idea of wearing gowns and stuff :biggrin:

Hehe. I have no clue as to visitor regulations as I haven't actually left for Cambridge yet (next Saturday woooh). But they definitely have formal halls. I think it might be something as often as once or twice a week... Can anyone confirm this? Yeah the gowns are sexy as hell, hehe, I can't wait to see mine... I can guarantee I'll look like a class A idiot in mine. Can't wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending