The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Downing College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
I'm unable to make the open days at Downing, but am going to the open days at Emmanuel/Christs so am only able to really look at the outside of downing, does anyone have any images of the rooms for first years at downing because whilst ive heard theyre good i would like to see them so I can compare them to other colleges!
Thanks
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 841
How far is Downing from labs and science lectures (for Phys Natsci)?
Original post by Gravitas
Wow. That's long. :tongue: Thank you very much!

Are there ANY small patches of grass with trees that you can walk on at all?

No worries, I like food too. In fact, one of the main reasons why I like Downing is because I read somewhere that it had a Michelin-starred chef. :biggrin: Is this true?

How's the library like?

Is Downing in the middle of town? I'm a bit worried about the noise level cause I get rather grumpy when it's noisy. Which are the colleges in the middle of town anyway?

And is it possible to stay in college over holidays?

Yup! Alongside the huge paddock, you can walk on Howard Court and Kenny Court, but they're both pretty small. People often work outside there when the weather's nice.

I think it is yeah! The guy's restaurant before he took up the job at Downing was awarded a Michelin Star.

The library building is really nice, although it can get a bit mental during exam term when everyone is trying to grab a space. I don't tend to work there myself.

Downing isn't in the centre of town. It's a little bit outside (10 minutes walk), which is perfect IMO. I can't imagine noise being an issue (the only exception would be for rooms in the Lensfield Houses which face the road, but first years don't get these). All the college rooms are offset enough from Regent Street that you'd never hear anything. It's actually really quiet in college. Looking at this map, I guess the more central colleges are Gonville and Caius, Sidney Sussex, Trinity, Kings etc, but Cambridge is really small, so you're never too far from anywhere.

You can stay in college over the holidays! You might have to change the room you stay in from your usual one, and you have to get permission from your tutor or DOS or something (and I think you pay 10% extra per week than you usually would), but loads of people I know do so and never have any trouble. It's a little easier for 2nd/3rd year if you're staying on Lensfield or certain other rooms in college which aren't used for conferences during the holidays, because you can select a 39-week contract (which covers Christmas and Easter holidays) rather than the usual 30 week one. As long as you have sufficient reason for needing a room during the holidays, college seem to be pretty good about finding one for you.

Original post by Orrin
I'm unable to make the open days at Downing, but am going to the open days at Emmanuel/Christs so am only able to really look at the outside of downing, does anyone have any images of the rooms for first years at downing because whilst ive heard theyre good i would like to see them so I can compare them to other colleges!
Thanks

There's quite a lot of variation so it's difficult to show you the full range. Here is a picture of my room in first year and the view out the window! You can view a couple more images of rooms on the Conferencing website here, but bear in mind they're showing the best rooms available at their best standard. Downing first year accommodation is seriously good though, so you won't be disappointed no matter where you are.

Original post by Mike93L

Looking on the PhysNatSci website, it looks like most of the lectures take place on Lensfield Road, which runs along the outside of Downing, so you're about a minute away. The closest college to them. Labs wise, it looks like they're at the Cavendish Laboratory in West Cambridge, which is a bit further away, near to Churchill College. About 25 minutes walk from Downing? Best to confirm this with a Phys Natsci though - I'll message one of my friends and ask them and get back to you!
Reply 843
Original post by Stratocaster
You can stay in college over the holidays! You might have to change the room you stay in from your usual one, and you have to get permission from your tutor or DOS or something (and I think you pay 10% extra per week than you usually would), but loads of people I know do so and never have any trouble. It's a little easier for 2nd/3rd year if you're staying on Lensfield or certain other rooms in college which aren't used for conferences during the holidays, because you can select a 39-week contract (which covers Christmas and Easter holidays) rather than the usual 30 week one. As long as you have sufficient reason for needing a room during the holidays, college seem to be pretty good about finding one for you.

Hey, I'm starting at Downing in October. Judging by this you have to clear out your room in the holidays and so is there any storage space available?
Original post by Mike93L

Yeah, I was mostly right. Message below is from my phys natsci friend.

"We are right next to lectures, they're all either on the New Museum site or on Lensfield road, depending on what options you take. Practicals are all close except Physics (and CompSci) which are out at the Cavendish, and for Physics you only have to go once a fortnight so it's really not that bad."

The New Museum site is really close to Downing too - less than five minutes.

Original post by Schnecke
Hey, I'm starting at Downing in October. Judging by this you have to clear out your room in the holidays and so is there any storage space available?

There is storage space, but it's fairly limited and only reserved for international students (but that includes people in Scotland who have to get flights home for example). Some rooms have lockable cupboards in them though, so you can store a few items over the holidays.
Reply 845
Yeah, I was mostly right. Message below is from my phys natsci friend.

"We are right next to lectures, they're all either on the New Museum site or on Lensfield road, depending on what options you take. Practicals are all close except Physics (and CompSci) which are out at the Cavendish, and for Physics you only have to go once a fortnight so it's really not that bad."

Great, thanks :smile:

Would it be possible for you to ask your friend what the maths test at interview is like for Downing?
Original post by Mike93L
Great, thanks :smile:

Would it be possible for you to ask your friend what the maths test at interview is like for Downing?

*cough*

When I did it, the maths test was based on only C1-C4 stuff. We were given half an hour to do it, but there were far too many questions (might've taken 2 hours to finish everything, I think), so it was an "answer what you know" type of thing.

I'd only done C1 and C2 at this point, so I skipped anything I didn't know, like differentiating and integrating trig functions, for example. The questions are just A level standard and I think the idea is to just check you can do basic maths so it doesn't have to be covered in the interviews.
Reply 847

There's quite a lot of variation so it's difficult to show you the full range. Here is a picture of my room in first year and the view out the window! You can view a couple more images of rooms on the Conferencing website here, but bear in mind they're showing the best rooms available at their best standard. Downing first year accommodation is seriously good though, so you won't be disappointed no matter where you are.

Thanks a lot! Do you mind me asking what price band your room is in? Looks very high standard compared to other university's accommodation I've seen
Original post by Topaz_eyes
*cough*

When I did it, the maths test was based on only C1-C4 stuff. We were given half an hour to do it, but there were far too many questions (might've taken 2 hours to finish everything, I think), so it was an "answer what you know" type of thing.

I'd only done C1 and C2 at this point, so I skipped anything I didn't know, like differentiating and integrating trig functions, for example. The questions are just A level standard and I think the idea is to just check you can do basic maths so it doesn't have to be covered in the interviews.

I can't believe I forgot you were on TSR haha! Just so happened to be the person I asked too. I should've just directed you to the thread.

Original post by Orrin
Thanks a lot! Do you mind me asking what price band your room is in? Looks very high standard compared to other university's accommodation I've seen

I think that room was £100/week (inc. all water, electric, internet, use of kitchens etc), although the college keeps putting up rent prices each year. The same room is probably closer to £115 now. On the whole it's way better than most places, especially if you end up somewhere like Howard Court, which is like a hotel. Prices might be a little higher than people are used to, but you do save money on rent because you only pay for 30 weeks, whereas at other universities you might have to pay for the whole year. When I applied, I asked for a lower rent band room but ended up with that one (which was ensuite). Can't complain though, it was great.
Reply 849
Yup! Alongside the huge paddock, you can walk on Howard Court and Kenny Court, but they're both pretty small. People often work outside there when the weather's nice.

I think it is yeah! The guy's restaurant before he took up the job at Downing was awarded a Michelin Star.

The library building is really nice, although it can get a bit mental during exam term when everyone is trying to grab a space. I don't tend to work there myself.

Downing isn't in the centre of town. It's a little bit outside (10 minutes walk), which is perfect IMO. I can't imagine noise being an issue (the only exception would be for rooms in the Lensfield Houses which face the road, but first years don't get these). All the college rooms are offset enough from Regent Street that you'd never hear anything. It's actually really quiet in college. Looking at this map, I guess the more central colleges are Gonville and Caius, Sidney Sussex, Trinity, Kings etc, but Cambridge is really small, so you're never too far from anywhere.

Thanks!

By the way, I've seen hotel rooms that looked way worse than yours. :biggrin: Is it usually THAT dark? And do ensuite rooms normally come with a bathtub or a shower, or both?

According to the map, there's a cinema next to Downing! :bban:

In your opinion, would it be rather hard for somebody to get accepted to Downing for medicine? Especially if that somebody (i.e. me) was an international student? Are there even any in your year?
Reply 850
Original post by Topaz_eyes
*cough*

Ah OK, so it does mean basic when it says basic maths test. I was worried it be more like STEP which would make me go :eek: Thanks :smile:
Original post by Gravitas
Thanks!

By the way, I've seen hotel rooms that looked way worse than yours. :biggrin: Is it usually THAT dark? And do ensuite rooms normally come with a bathtub or a shower, or both?

According to the map, there's a cinema next to Downing! :bban:

In your opinion, would it be rather hard for somebody to get accepted to Downing for medicine? Especially if that somebody (i.e. me) was an international student? Are there even any in your year?

Oh man, so have I haha. I got a nice (and pretty big) room, but some of the Fresher accommodation is, like, really nice. It does look quite dark in the picture, but it wasn't too bad. That room was positioned a little awkwardly with its windows and the buildings surrounding it, when tended to block a lot of light. Ensuite rooms will always come with a shower, although there are a lucky few who get baths as well.

Yeah, the Arts Picturehouse is right next to Downing.

Because of the university-wide limit on the number of international students offered a place for Medicine, it's always going to be tough. For information on the number of allocated offers for international students for the different colleges etc, click here.. Any other specific questions about that sort of thing are best directed towards the Admissions Office (details for them and others here).
Reply 852
Oh man, so have I haha. I got a nice (and pretty big) room, but some of the Fresher accommodation is, like, really nice. It does look quite dark in the picture, but it wasn't too bad. That room was positioned a little awkwardly with its windows and the buildings surrounding it, when tended to block a lot of light. Ensuite rooms will always come with a shower, although there are a lucky few who get baths as well.

Yeah, the Arts Picturehouse is right next to Downing.

Because of the university-wide limit on the number of international students offered a place for Medicine, it's always going to be tough. For information on the number of allocated offers for international students for the different colleges etc, click here.. Any other specific questions about that sort of thing are best directed towards the Admissions Office (details for them and others here).

Oh man thanks for that link. I think I've got most of my questions cleared up here. Thank you so so so very much! :biggrin:
Hello, i intend to apply for mathematics at downing. However, i am scared because someone fom downing told me that interview for mathematics at downing has so many applied question which i am not good at. I wonder whether their interview concentrate on applied mathematics more than on pure maths?
Reply 854
Original post by linhthikhanhle
Hello, i intend to apply for mathematics at downing. However, i am scared because someone fom downing told me that interview for mathematics at downing has so many applied question which i am not good at. I wonder whether their interview concentrate on applied mathematics more than on pure maths?

Excellent choice of both subject and college :biggrin:. I'm starting maths at Downing in a few weeks.

My interview wasn't at all applied (assuming you mean applied in the A level sense, i.e statistics/mechanics), so don't be put off applying because of that. It was all based around the pure/core modules at A level.
Thank you!
So are there 2 maths interviews? One for applied math and one for pure maths? Thank u for your answer :smile:
Reply 856
Original post by linhthikhanhle
Thank you!
So are there 2 maths interviews? One for applied math and one for pure maths? Thank u for your answer :smile:

Yep, although as I said before, the applied one wasn't really applied in the A level sense.

I also did a 30 minute test, which had about 8-10 questions.

The interviews seem pretty scary beforehand, but from my experience they really aren't something to worry about (in comparison to STEP anyhow :tongue:). The interviewers are incredibly friendly and try to guide you in the right direction.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 857
Anyone else applying to Downing for Engineering? :smile:

Does anyone know an Austrian at the college or university?
Original post by czeppe
Anyone else applying to Downing for Engineering? :smile:

Does anyone know an Austrian at the college or university?

I'm just going into my second year studying Physics at Downing, you've picked a great college :smile: We have a fair few engineers each year, maybe about 10 a year, although that's a total guess.

I don't know if we have any Austrians, but we do have quite a few international students from all over, so you certainly won't be the only non-UK student :smile:

If you have any more questions, you can email the JCR international officers at [email protected] and they can probably help more :smile:
Reply 859
:smile:
Cambridge is generally awesome!
Good, because I don't want to be the only foreign student!
Thanks for your effort! :smile:

The application is some much hassle.... all these forms!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending