The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Downing College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by evadommy
I did the questions on the sample tests given on Downing's site and it's pretty easy! It might help strengthen my application if my interview doesn't go too well. So are you studying at Downing now? :smile:

Yes, I'm just about to start my fourth year doing Physics :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 961
Does anyone have any idea about how is economics interview at Downing? :smile:)

I just sent my UCAS application and am hoping for an invitation to the interview!!!
Reply 962
Original post by Topaz_eyes
Yes, I'm just about to start my fourth year doing Physics :smile:

Wow fourth year! :smile:
How was your interview btw? if you could remember :biggrin:
Wow fourth year! :smile:
How was your interview btw? if you could remember :biggrin:

My interviews were okay. I came out of them having enjoyed them (despite being hugely nervous beforehand) and knowing I gave it my best shot. I also talked a lot - if you don't talk they don't know how you're thinking!
Reply 964
My interviews were okay. I came out of them having enjoyed them (despite being hugely nervous beforehand) and knowing I gave it my best shot. I also talked a lot - if you don't talk they don't know how you're thinking!

Was it mostly scientific conversation or like they give you pen and paper to work something out?
And I've applied for Downing! :smile:
Was it mostly scientific conversation or like they give you pen and paper to work something out?
And I've applied for Downing! :smile:

Excellent! I'm probably going to be interview helping this year so I might see you :smile: A combination of both - mostly conversation with the occasional "draw this graph" / "prove this". The maths test means that they don't really need to test your basic mathematical fluency.
Reply 966
Excellent! I'm probably going to be interview helping this year so I might see you :smile: A combination of both - mostly conversation with the occasional "draw this graph" / "prove this". The maths test means that they don't really need to test your basic mathematical fluency.

Cool! :smile: What's your advice for preparing for interview? Like will there be much physics or chemistry questions too? I'm practising lots of maths now :biggrin:
Cool! :smile: What's your advice for preparing for interview? Like will there be much physics or chemistry questions too? I'm practising lots of maths now :biggrin:

Whoops, sorry for the late reply! I think the best kind of preparation is to practice talking about Physics, either with a teacher, or a friend, or even your cat! Getting used to articulating what you mean out loud is really helpful. I would imagine you'd get a mix of Physics / Chemistry problems and maybe one or two maths based ones. Your maths is mostly tested in the written test so they don't need to check you can integrate / do algebra in the interviews themselves.

Also, if you mentioned books in your personal statement, reading them again can be helpful - I did it to get into the right frame of mind, and they could ask about them so it's good to have it fresh in your mind.

Oh and finally - don't panic! Obviously it's stressful, but you and the interviewer have a common goal - to see if you would respond well to the teaching style at Cambridge. They're trying to help and are all really nice :smile:
Reply 968
Thanks a lot! :biggrin: right now I'm just stuck between choosing computer science or chemistry. The other options I'm taking are physics, material science and maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was wondering if there were any Downing Law Students who could tell me about their interview and Cambridge Law Test experience?
Hi guys,

On Saturday I got an offer from Downing to study Medicine.

:eek:

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

So, it'd be nice to talk to some of the people who I may meet next year. (As long as I get the damn grades.)
Reply 971
Original post by cazmasetro
Hi guys,

On Saturday I got an offer from Downing to study Medicine.

:eek:

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

So, it'd be nice to talk to some of the people who I may meet next year. (As long as I get the damn grades.)

Congratulations! I have an offer from Downing for Geography - I'm worried about the grades too, but fingers crossed. :smile:
Hi everyone! I will be applying to Economics and I was wondering how the Mathematics test at interview is like. Any help?

Thank you! Cheers!
Reply 973
I'm applying to Downing College but I'm not well off so I'll have to get a room in a lower band. How many people share a bathroom and is it separate genders? I really wanted an en-suite but I can't afford it so the shared bathroom is my only option!
I can't help you with this specifically, but in the postgrad accommodation at John's we have shared bathrooms and, yes, they are co-ed. We had one bathroom with just a toilet, and one with a toilet/shower, and a single shower room. There were six of us sharing these facilities.
Original post by emj1996
I'm applying to Downing College but I'm not well off so I'll have to get a room in a lower band. How many people share a bathroom and is it separate genders? I really wanted an en-suite but I can't afford it so the shared bathroom is my only option!

The number of people varies across corridors, but probably 5/6. All are mixed gender.
I thought I'd make a group for those who have an interview at Downing so we can stalk panic together? I'm applying for history, what about you?
Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h:
Just a thread where us lucky offer holders for the beautiful Downing college can chat, discuss college related things (or not) and meet like-minded people!

Just post your course and conditions to get the ball rolling :smile:

Me:

Course: Medicine
Conditions: A*A*A
Course : Natural Sciences (physical)
Conditions : A*A*A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending