Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

LGBT+Soc - *for more serious discussion*

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014

(Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    People often say stuff like that either because
    a) lack of education
    b) because they have insecurities of their own
    c) both

I personally think that it's time to make such words and hatred against LGBTs illegal.
    Yeah it should be made illegal as soon as possible.

Homophobia is too leniently allowed in society, and it needs to stop.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah it should be made illegal as soon as possible.

Homophobia is too leniently allowed in society, and it needs to stop.
    The thing is though, it's awkward because a vast portion of the world is religious, and many believe that religion tells them homosexuality is wrong. however if you're LGBT and still true to your faith, then you cannot use your religion as a curtain to hide behind to defend your 'right' to be homophobic. The way the American LGBT deal with the WBC is something for a lot of us look up to. There are gay Christians who have proven that the bible is not against homosexuality. What's even more worrying is the situation in the middle east right now, particularly with ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria - it's the state seeked by the rebels that is constantly being spoken about on the news at the moment) gaining strongholds in Iraq. When the US liberated Iraq in 2003, whilst tolerance was never high, the LGBTs of Iraq had homosexuality decriminalised. I fear for Iraqi LGBTs that it may not be the case for much longer.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleffzilla)
    ... So as before, then. Serious matters in here, absolutely no spamming :p:

Chat thread's moved to here. I've edited the link in SWuh's quote too though so no real need to worry.
    Questionnaire and picture thread are still the same

Oooooh, list of honorary members [who support LGBTers], mainly to avoid confusion, also because it's easier than listing everyone [please tell me if I've missed anyone]:

icantthinkofacoolusername
    fanofkdc [sort of - applied but had too many socs already]

Please tell me when you apply to join if you're an honorary so I can add you to this list! Cheers
    Oh, so this is a cyberspace equivalent to Peterhouse, Cambridge?

I've recently come out to a few really close friends, and they've all had the exact reaction I hoped for - complete indifference. They're there for me of course, and if I want to talk about things they will, but they don't treat me any differently and they didn't make a big deal out of it.

I sort of knew this is how they would be, because I've known them for so many years, and one of us has been out for a while anyway. So, for me, coming out to them wasn't really a big deal. It was a drunken confession here or there, and I felt completely safe with them. Coming out to myself was a lot harder.

But, the point of this post is that I'm going to uni in October, and it just feels like such a sucky time to have just begun realising this about myself, and accepting it.

I'm not sure what to do - on one hand, I feel it would be nice to go and just be openly gay from the start, a fresh beginning if you like. But, on the other hand, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. Nobody else knows apart from 6 close friends, I can't even begin to comprehend being OK with telling complete strangers. I don't want it to be something that defines me, ever, which is why I was so comfortable with telling the people I have - because I knew it would never be even in the first 50 adjectives they'd chose to describe me. I can't help but think if I go to uni completely out, it will be among the first things people know about me, and I wish it weren't. But then again, at some point down the line, I don't want to have to do the whole 'coming out' thing as if it were big deal, with these new friends I make.

Does anybody have any advice? Like, any at all. I'm at a dead end.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2014
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.