Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

New College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I didn't think it was right that New should be missing out on the fun :p: Call us what you will (best one I've heard is Newdists) but we are clearly the best college. So... here's a thread entirely devoted to anyone who's interested/bored really.

It would be helpful if all the Newdists (yeh, I'm gonna go with that for now) on TSR could post here so we could get a list going.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i would have thought its : Balloil > Ch.Ch> New> everyone else..but definetly up there!

went there for open day..was very impressed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Diamond! Surely 'New Army' also?? Don't betray your fresher tshirt girl. Looking forward to seein' ya soon my dear.

abrp - not sure about that. New is quite unique in its atmosphere and work ethic... from what I've gathered in my measly single term, its much more laid back than Balliol & ChCh.

Also, anyone got any info bout the ball this year? Rumours its Jamiroquai, but I can't see TJ booking them...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    New College, is number one! I enjoyed my three years there, topping form all the way.

Only gripe is that the chaplain is a women *cringes*, William of Wykehem will be turning in his chantry dantry at Winchester Cathedreal now.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    i would have thought its : Balloil > Ch.Ch> New> everyone else..but definetly up there!
    :rofl: How about no. ChCh is impressive to rahs and architecture lovers, and Balliol's an acquired taste. Both good colleges, if you like that sort of thing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so...anyone starting at new in october with me?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomoo2k)
    What you gonna be studying?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm at New! I love all the free stuff I get from the MCR: brunch, tea + cakes, alcohol... AMAZING.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend will be. But Magdalen is better than New
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    My girlfriend will be. But Magdalen is better than New
    Hehe, such a joker. Come on, what do you really think? :rolleyes:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    My completely honest opinion... Hmm... Hard for a political type like me :P

Being serious, New is probably my second favourite college from what I've seen of it, however I prefer Magdalen's architecture, layout deer park e.t.c. To make a really decent comparison I would probably have to virtually live in New for a while though as there are all sorts of things you only see in the college you are actually a member of.

But yeah... I still like Magdalen better.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing ppe - and teebs i knew that, she is on my msn thanks to you :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing ppe - and teebs i knew that, she is on my msn thanks to you :P
    Aaaw, then you'll probably be one of my friend's college child hehe, since a lot of them do PPE! Or even mine (I do HistPol). Crazy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i shall be at new in oct looking forward to meeting everyone
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yoh

Any idea if grad. students at New live in a specific area of college? Or is it all mixed up like karazee?

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Grads and 4th year undergrads are housed together. The two main sites are:

1. The Sacher building
    • a 60s building in college which was refurbished after a fire and is therefore quite nice
    • also houses the MCR, which has a TV, a bar and a tendency to supply free food (e.g. free brunch on Sunday morning, free tea and cakes on Saturday afternoon)
    • has a computer room
    2. Weston Buildings
    • by the college sports ground (a few minutes' walk from the main college site)
    • you live in really nice houses in small groups; better than the Sacher building
    Then there are a couple of other places they might put you, but I can't remember the details. I think there are a couple of houses somewhere, which I've heard is preferable to being in Sacher or Weston. Basically, you get looked after quite well, because all the accommodation is pretty good and none is far away. And the MCR is definitely one of the best in Oxford, possibly the best.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I've got a Faculty offer (Graduate study) and could in theory be put into any College! But I requested New, and mentioned New as part of my application statement - here's hoping!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who from new is actually on here?
    Names?

xx
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about applying for Physics at New College.

Just wondering if anyone here does it. It'd be great to hear about what it's like.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dharma)
    I'm thinking about applying for Physics at New College.

Just wondering if anyone here does it. It'd be great to hear about what it's like.
    Snap

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2014
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.