The Student Room Group

What is the average age of people on access courses?

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
it averages between 22-25 in my opinion
Reply 2
In my experience, around 25.
Reply 3
The majority of folk on my course are retired lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
My pathway is split up into two groups - one where the majority are between the ages of 19 to 25, and the other full of learners who are older than 25.

The sad part is that the two groups do not get along... probably because they were never given the opportunity to 'mesh' with each other in the first place.
My access group ranges from 20-46 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 27 and my access course ranges between 19 and 35ish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Between 20 and 37 ish. Most are early to mid twenties, a few are 30 ish and a couple are over 30.

How many people are over 30 at uni anyone know ?
Original post by Redfrost
Between 20 and 37 ish. Most are early to mid twenties, a few are 30 ish and a couple are over 30.

How many people are over 30 at uni anyone know ?

I think that largely depends on whether the university offers health-related degrees, like nursing, which tend to attract people looking for a more rewarding career, or who are returning to education/work after having children. At the university I go to (which doesn't do NHS degrees) there are comparatively few over 30.
Reply 9
I've signed up to start one in September. I'm 31 and my tutor said roughly half are older and half are younger.
It definitely depends on the subjects you're taking (e.g. healthcare is likely to attract more older people).

Aside from two people in their early 40s, everyone on my (social science) pathway is in the 19-24 group. There are a few people in their 30s and one in her late 20s in different pathways that take one-two of the three subjects we do.
Reply 11
Original post by pecan666
I know it's very varied, but generally speaking (in your experience), what age are the majority of students on access courses?

I ask because I'm 20 and might be starting an access course this year. I'm just worried everyone will be much older than me and I won't fit in. Obviously I'm taking the course so I can get to uni, but I'd really like to make some friends my own age along the way because I don't have much of a social life at the moment.

Good afternoon,

Speaking from personal experience of the access programme ages have ranged from 19 - 50s. Everyone gets along just fine the younger ones in the group aid some other the older ones in he group with computing tasks where as the older ones aid the younger ones with relationship, finance and life issues. Of course this is somewhat of a generalisation but the point is that each end of the scale has something different and unique to contribute to the course beyond the scope of learning content. You will make new and unexpected friends. So please enjoy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending