The Student Room Group

Paying off Student loans when leaving your course early

Hi all,

I left my course early in Jan 2008 due to personal reasons and in the next academic year (08/09) I went back to university and continued my studies.

I have been getting letters from Student finance asking me to pay back the loans as I withdrew from my course early.

Do I have to pay these loans back to the SLC as I left early or do they just act like the other loans that are taken out of your income? Would going back to university at the next academic year make any difference?

Does anyone have any links o the rules or guidance on this matter please.
Thanks

ps I know I have to pay back the money but I was just wondering whether it is taken out of my income like normal student loans or if I have to pay it all back regardless of income which is what the SLC are saying.
You pay back your loan in the same as everyone else. I am assuming (because you haven't say otherwise) that you weren't overpaid?

Because you're under the old system, it's 9% of your income of around £16k. (it rises with inflation each year and I'm not too sure of the current figure)
Reply 2
Sorry I was overpaid because I was paid money after I left my course and the slc are asking for this money to be paid back immediately. i rejoined education the next academic year and I just wanted to know where the guidance on this is from. thanks
I see. Right, ignore what I said above because it doesn't apply if you were overpaid. You do need to pay the money back and the threshold doesn't apply here.

You need to phone slc and negoiate a repayment plan with them.

Quick Reply

Latest