The Student Room Group

Exam Scheduling

If two exams clash, what is the school supposed to do about it?

Our General Studies exams (GSA4 & GSA5) have been helpfully timetabled by the exam board to be on the same afternoon. The school say we should start at the normal time and find our own way home. However, shouldn't they be starting it early so we can finish at the normal time? Whilst it's alright for those who live nearby or drive to school, if you come on a bus and that is the only bus home it puts you in a difficult situation. Why shouldn't the exam be started early so people can get home normally, or alternatively shouldn't the school lay on transport out of their own pocket?
Reply 1
tux01989
If two exams clash, what is the school supposed to do about it?

Our General Studies exams (GSA4 & GSA5) have been helpfully timetabled by the exam board to be on the same afternoon. The school say we should start at the normal time and find our own way home. However, shouldn't they be starting it early so we can finish at the normal time? Whilst it's alright for those who live nearby or drive to school, if you come on a bus and that is the only bus home it puts you in a difficult situation. Why shouldn't the exam be started early so people can get home normally, or alternatively shouldn't the school lay on transport out of their own pocket?

Lol. It would be good if they did, but it's not the school's fault, it's the exam board's and I dont think they can afford to or want to pay for transport for hundreds or thousands of students that are unhappy.
In my college if exams clash you just sit there and do them one after the other until they are done starting at the time timeabled, no earlier.
I know it sucks. Happened to me before. ;console;
Indeed, but it's feasible to start exams early isn't it? That would cost nothing - just shifting all the staffing changes forward by half an hour or whatever. Particularly stupid when the exam finishes just ten minutes after the bus departure time!
Reply 3
I think it's to do with synchronising all the exams across the country as far as possible. Say if one school started an hour earlier than another school - it's possible that someone from the first school could ring someone from the second school to give them answers or something. It's like that for a reason - at my school the session starting times for morning and afternoon exams are set in stone, and if you happen to have three exams all in the afternoon, you've just got to sit through it. When I did Psychology AS I had three exams in the afternoon and as a consequence had to stay at school until quarter to 5. It's just the way it works sometimes.
Reply 4
Ywiss
I think it's to do with synchronising all the exams across the country as far as possible. Say if one school started an hour earlier than another school - it's possible that someone from the first school could ring someone from the second school to give them answers or something. It's like that for a reason - at my school the session starting times for morning and afternoon exams are set in stone, and if you happen to have three exams all in the afternoon, you've just got to sit through it. When I did Psychology AS I had three exams in the afternoon and as a consequence had to stay at school until quarter to 5. It's just the way it works sometimes.

Exactly :smile: I'm sure you'll find some way home :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending