Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Female circumcision and Islam

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Do you support female circumcision?
    Yes, and I am a Muslim.
    8.11%
    No, and I am a Muslim.
    48.65%
    Yes, and I am not a Muslim.
    0%
    No, and I am not a Muslim.
    43.24%

1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    According to reports today, 466 cases of female genital mutilation - or female circumcision to those who support the practice - were discovered in British hospitals last November alone, which is pretty damn incredible.

I always thought that FGM is something that is not a very widespread practice and that the vast majority of Muslims reject it, but today's news and articles on mainstream Islamic websites like this supportive of it make me concerned that it's more widespread in the Muslim community than we thought.

Circumcision is prescribed for both males and females. The correct view is that circumcision is obligatory for males and that it is one of the symbols of Islam, and that circumcision of women is mustahabb but not obligatory.

There are reports in the Sunnah which indicate that circumcision for women is prescribed in Islam. In Madeenah there was a woman who circumcised women and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to her: “Do not go to the extreme in cutting; that is better for the woman and more liked by the husband.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (5271), classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.
    It takes away excessive libido from women

It prevents unpleasant odours which result from foul secretions beneath the prepuce.

It reduces the incidence of urinary tract infections

It reduces the incidence of infections of the reproductive system.

In the book on Traditions that affect the health of women and children, which was published by the World Health Organization in 1979 it says:

With regard to the type of female circumcision which involves removal of the prepuce of the clitoris, which is similar to male circumcision, no harmful health effects have been noted.
    Muslims, do you support female circumcision?
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    This is from Sahih Muslim (bolded part is the most important).

Abu Musa reported: There cropped up a difference of opinion between a group of Muhajirs (Emigrants and a group of Ansar (Helpers) (and the point of dispute was) that the Ansar said: The bath (because of sexual intercourse) becomes obligatory only-when the semen spurts out or ejaculates. But the Muhajirs said: When a man has sexual intercourse (with the woman), a bath becomes obligatory (no matter whether or not there is seminal emission or ejaculation). Abu Musa said: Well, I satisfy you on this (issue). He (Abu Musa, the narrator) said: I got up (and went) to 'A'isha and sought her permission and it was granted, and I said to her: 0 Mother, or Mother of the Faithful, I want to ask you about a matter on which I feel shy. She said: Don't feel shy of asking me about a thing which you can ask your mother, who gave you birth, for I am too your mother. Upon this I said: What makes a bath obligatory for a person? She replied: You have come across one well informed! The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: When anyone sits amidst four parts (of the woman) and the circumcised parts touch each other a bath becomes obligatory.
    wtf?
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Just call it FGM, because that's what it is. 'Female circumcision' is what the apologists call it.
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3isenberg)
    Just call it FGM, because that's what it is. 'Female circumcision' is what the apologists call it.
    Agreed - and I do call it FGM. But I'm genuinely interested in hearing the thoughts of those who support it and I thought calling it FGM in the title could scare them off.
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generic_man)
    Agreed - and I do call it FGM. But I'm genuinely interested in hearing the thoughts of those who support it and I thought calling it FGM in the title could scare them off.
    InB4
    It has nothing to do with Islam. All the Muslims who do it in Indonesia (where there was no history of FGM before the arrival if Islam) do it because it is an African cultural tradition.

Ah, no, hold on...
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    The increasingly tedious Reza Aslan claimed to Bill Maher that 'FGM is not an Islamic problem'. Here's a great article exposing Aslan's lies and cherry-picking: http://www.heatherhastie.com/reza-as...-islam-on-fgm/
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Your intentions are obvious, otherwise the poll would not be anonymous. We all know that atheists and ex-muslims are going to lie and pretend to be Muslim and choose the "Yes, and I am a Muslim" option.
  8. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interact)
    Your intentions are obvious, otherwise the poll would not be anonymous. We all know that atheists and ex-muslims are going to lie and pretend to be Muslim and choose the "Yes, and I am a Muslim" option.
    No, I made the poll anonymous because I wanted people to feel able to answer it honestly without fear of being persecuted for their belief.

But please, keep on spamming this thread by guessing what my "intentions" were instead of actually contributing anything useful, I'm sure you'll get plenty of pos reps from Muslims who visit this thread who also aren't going to say anything. :borat:
  9. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    InB4
    It has nothing to do with Islam. All the Muslims who do it in Indonesia (where there was no history of FGM before the arrival if Islam) do it because it is an African cultural tradition.

Ah, no, hold on...
    (Original post by Achaea)
    The increasingly tedious Reza Aslan claimed to Bill Maher that 'FGM is not an Islamic problem'. Here's a great article exposing Aslan's lies and cherry-picking: http://www.heatherhastie.com/reza-as...-islam-on-fgm/
    140 million women and girls in Indonesia have undergone FGM. That is utterly sickening...
  10. Offline

ReputationRep:
    No, I made the poll anonymous because I wanted people to feel able to answer it honestly without fear of being persecuted for their belief.

But please, keep on spamming this thread by guessing what my "intentions" were instead of actually contributing anything useful, I'm sure you'll get plenty of pos reps from Muslims who visit this thread who also aren't going to say anything. :borat:
    He's already got two reps in 13 minutes for that post. Pathetic.
  11. Offline

ReputationRep:

Oh God :yawn:

I forgot TSR Mozlems persecute people who find FGM abhorrent.
  12. Offline

ReputationRep:
    140 million women and girls in Indonesia have undergone FGM. That is utterly sickening...
    The WHO estimate 100-140 million girls worldwide have undergone the practice and that silly blogger states 140 million girls in Indonesia alone have. Truth is, it is an African problem, although some Muslim communities do engage in the practice.

Are you African? Are you an African ex-Muslim?
  13. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Oh God :yawn:

I forgot TSR Mozlems persecute people who find FGM abhorrent.
    Lol, actually I was more worried about SUPPORTERS of FGM being persecuted by NON-Muslims. But keep up that presumptuousness! You've been wrong about my intentions twice but third time's a charm! :borat:
  14. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I'm disgusted that two people have already said they support FGM
  15. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I'm disgusted that two people have already said they support FGM
    Fingers crossed they're just trolls? But yeah, unfortunately it's clear there are many people in the UK who do indeed support it. It's not surprising that some are represented here on TSR...
  16. Offline

ReputationRep:
    According to reports today, 466 cases of female genital mutilation - or female circumcision to those who support the practice - were discovered in British hospitals last November alone, which is pretty damn incredible.

I always thought that FGM is something that is not a very widespread practice and that the vast majority of Muslims reject it, but today's news and articles on mainstream Islamic websites like this supportive of it make me concerned that it's more widespread in the Muslim community than we thought.

Muslims, do you support female circumcision?
    No no i dont. its not part of the religion (Like male circumcision is ) and the reasons why its carried out are disgusting...it happens alot in some muslims countries e.g. Egypt (91% of women) and some others, but exists in many African non muslim countries as well e.g Mali (74%) and Guinea (96%) its more of a cultural thing than a religious thing...
  17. Offline

ReputationRep:
    The WHO estimate 100-140 million girls worldwide have undergone the practice and that silly blogger states 140 million girls in Indonesia alone have. Truth is, it is an African problem, although some Muslim communities do engage in the practice.

Are you African? Are you an African ex-Muslim?
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...sion-indonesia

Although Indonesia is not a country where FGM is widely reported, the practice is endemic. Two nationwide studies carried out by population researchers in 2003 and 2010 found that between 86 and 100% of households surveyed subjected their daughters to genital cutting, usually before the age of five. More than 90% of adults said they wanted the practice to continue.
    http://www.stopfgmmideast.org/countries/indonesia/

A large scale study by USAID in 2003 found that 86-100% of girls aged 19 reported to be “circumcised”
    All women interviewed in the USAID study consider FGM an Islamic practice, most of them calling it a religious duty and many affirming that an uncircumcised woman is not Muslim.

Today, Indonesia is the largest Muslim-majority nation in the world with 88 percent of its people adhering to Islam and the majority of these adhering to the Shafi school of Sunni Islam – the only one of the four law school which describes female circumcision as obligatory (wajib) by Islam.
  18. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin-9970)
    No no i dont. its not part of the religion (Like male circumcision is ) and the reasons why its carried out are disgusting...it happens alot in some muslims countries e.g. Egypt (91% of women) and some others, but exists in many African non muslim countries as well e.g Mali (74%) and Guinea (96%) its more of a cultural thing than a religious thing...
    What do you mean it's not part of the religion? It's not obligatory, like male circumcision, but it is recommended. FGM is recommended.
  19. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Unless I'm mistaken, I think it isn't an Islamic thing per se... I've heard of Christian girls having it done too in the same countries
  20. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin-9970)
    It's at least recommended, right? Which would give it the same status as male circumcision or keeping a beard?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 26, 2015
New on TSR

Take a selfie for the student vote

Join your community montage

Article updates
Useful resources
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.