Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Referring to Allah as a "she"

Announcements Posted on
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that when I occasionally use the feminine pronoun in reference to Allah with the purpose of jarring people out of their parochial thinking, there seems to be an irrationally indignant or angry response. Why is this?

Yes, Allah may refer to Herself/Itself as "He" in the Quran, but muslims themselves concede that He has no gender. So if She/It has no gender and yet chooses to refer to himself as a He, why can't a She be used instead? Moreover, is there even any verse in the Quran saying that the feminine form shouldn't be used?

I remember one muslim even said that using the feminine pronoun was disrespectful, implying that women are somehow less worthy of respect than men. Said member could not rationally justify why it was "disrespectful".

If muslims want to be ultra correct, then shouldn't they refer to Allah as "It"?
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I think the proper way to address it would be "it", since he or she without a doubt hints at a particular gender. However, if the muslims think using "he" is OK, there's no reason "she" shouldn't be ok.
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Aren't women highly regarded/respected in Islam though? Surely if women are so highly regarded and respected, the greatest honour they could apply to Allah is to associate him with the highly regarded/respected pronoun, "she"?
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hickory Dickory)
    I think the proper way to address it would be "it", since he or she without a doubt hints at a particular gender. However, if the muslims think using "he" is OK, there's no reason "she" shouldn't be ok.
    But then could religious people continue justifying the medieval belief of men "owning" their wives and being able to beat them and demand sex from them etc.? It seems to be that the concept of male domination has stemmed from a dominating God, who although genderless, is so desperate to be male that it calls itself He.
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Aren't women highly regarded/respected in Islam though? Surely if women are so highly regarded and respected, the greatest honour they could apply to Allah is to associate him with the highly regarded/respected pronoun, "she"?
    I think this is one of the greatest paradoxes the Quran/Hadeeth contain in terms of social commentaries. Many say that muslimas are treated like Queens, yet they flinch at Allah being called "She" as well as there being numerous verses about women being inferior to men and less deserving.
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, I have an uncle who thinks Allah is a woman.
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Allah refers to himself as He in the Quran.
  8. Online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    Apparently, I have an uncle who thinks Allah is a woman.
    Could he be thinking of Al-lat? It was a goddess considered a daughter of Allah that was then considered supreme god of pagan Arabs before the creation of Islam and its borrowing of the name.
  9. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    I addressed that point in the 2nd paragraph of the OP.
  10. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I addressed that point in the 2nd paragraph of the OP.
    Yeah, but that's the only reason Muslims need. Yeah sure, Muslims say that He has no gender. However, Allah specifically refers to himself as a He, not a she or it. And because Muslims believe that the word of Allah is absolute, we refer to Him as a He.
  11. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    Yeah, but that's the only reason Muslims need. Yeah sure, Muslims say that He has no gender. However, Allah specifically refers to himself as a He, not a she or it. And because Muslims believe that the word of Allah is absolute, we refer to Him as a He.
    But you can't even use the instance to say "the word is absolute" because you've just conceded that Allah has no gender. Thus, the use of "He" is metaphorical and cannot be considered as correct unless you're willing to contradict yourself.
  12. Online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    If Allah is a he, then where is Mrs Allah?

If men are created in the image of God, why did God need to create women as well? Surely women are nothing but hussy trouble and a tiresome burden on men who don't need them anyway.

God knew that he has no need of sex to procreate so why force that stuff on men?
  13. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    How can Allah's word be absolute when it is contradictory?

Allah absolutely has no gender, yet Allah absolutely is a He :mmm:

And you wonder why people can't take Islam and many of its followers seriously
  14. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Purely as a social observation, I would like to point out two things:

1) When two groups are at war, most of the time they spend within their own group berating a caricature of the other.

and more importantly

2) While discussing said opponents, it seems really immature to post an argument, then laugh about how weak the response will be before it has been posted. This is like a time-travelling straw man.

The particular poster in question was wrong, anyone making the same mistake does deserve to see this thread and realise that. Mocking them before they've realised they're wrong does not help anyone.
  15. Offline

ReputationRep:
    But then could religious people continue justifying the medieval belief of men "owning" their wives and being able to beat them and demand sex from them etc.? It seems to be that the concept of male domination has stemmed from a dominating God, who although genderless, is so desperate to be male that it calls itself He.
    Yeah, and that's why I said there "shouldn't be" any issues, which assumes men and women are equal. Now, if someone has a different idea about gender equality, "she" is definitely not going to work for them.

Once again, it shows the patriarchy that is dominant/promoted in islam.
  16. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that when I occasionally use the feminine pronoun in reference to Allah with the purpose of jarring people out of their parochial thinking, there seems to be an irrationally indignant or angry response. Why is this?

Yes, Allah may refer to Herself as "He" in the Quran, but muslims themselves concede that He has no gender. So if She has no gender and yet chooses to refer to himself as a He, why can't a She be used instead? Moreover, is there even any verse in the Quran saying that the feminine form shouldn't be used?

I remember one muslim even said that using the feminine pronoun was disrespectful, implying that women are somehow less worthy of respect than men. Said member could not rationally justify why it was "disrespectful".

If muslims want to be ultra correct, then shouldn't they refer to Allah as "It"?
    There's nothing wrong with 'she'. Allah is just referred as 'he' that's probably why people find it disrespectful although they shouldn't because that's just sexist imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
  17. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rat_Bag)
    How can Allah's word be absolute when it is contradictory?

Allah absolutely has no gender, yet Allah absolutely is a He :mmm:

And you wonder why people can't take Islam and many of its followers seriously
    Allah isn't male. In Arabic, Allah refers to himself as هو; a male pronoun. However unlike English, the Arabic male pronoun doesn't imply gender. English doesn't have an appropriate pronoun which can be used in the same way the Arabic one can. In English, 'He' is the closest to that; so that's what the people use when translating the Quran.
  18. Offline

ReputationRep:
    But you can't even use the instance to say "the word is absolute" because you've just conceded that Allah has no gender. Thus, the use of "He" is metaphorical and cannot be considered as correct unless you're willing to contradict yourself.
    (Original post by Kyou)
    Allah isn't male. In Arabic, Allah refers to himself as هو; a male pronoun. However unlike English, the Arabic male pronoun doesn't imply gender. English doesn't have an appropriate pronoun which can be used in the same way the Arabic one can. In English, 'He' is the closest to that; so that's what the people use when translating the Quran.
    That answer your question .
  19. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    So you can use the male pronoun with reference to a woman?
  20. Offline

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me of the uproar people got into when the Nereverine was referred to as "he" in Solstheim.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 19, 2015
2015 general election
New on TSR

Loved by Students

Our big survey results unveiled

Article updates
Useful resources
  • 0 new posts
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.