Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

I'm a shia ask me anything!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know there are lots of misconceptions re shias -most sunnis ive spoken to have a few ideas about us that arent correct. ask me and hopefully we can eradicate some. ie , we have a different quran (we dont!!)

it would also be nice if we could keep this open minded rather than a defensive attack

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Half of my family are Shias and half are Sunni, can u please explain why Shias open there fast 10 min after Sunnis? And why they pray with their hands down? ( I know this are question asked often)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    So are my family. Where are you from?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSAA9)
    Half of my family are Shias and half are Sunni, can u please explain why Shias open there fast 10 min after Sunnis? And why they pray with their hands down? ( I know this are question asked often)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the breaking fast is because shias take sunset as different-its not set in stone but rather a precaution we take(rather wait ten minutes than have your fast not count). some scholars say you can break your fast with sunnis,some dont.

the hands down is because that is what the prophet pbuh did. there are four main schools of though in sunni islam. two pray with hands on stomach/low abdomenish, one prays with hands on chest and maliki prays with hands down. sunnis are divided on how we are meant to pray-only 2/4 agree and one is the same as shias. shias follow imam jafar al sadiq as for their jurisprudence whilst sunnis follow men such as hanbali (who i believe was a student of imam jafar al sadiq). imam jafar al sadiq is related to the prophet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsRochana)
    So are my family. Where are you from?
    im from iraq

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do Shias insult the prophet's pbuh family and his companions?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Why do Shias insult the prophet's pbuh family and his companions?
    short answer:we dont
    long answer: we dont. sunnis may get offended at our sending lanat on certain people. we do no consider these people companions of the prophet. those who loyal to the prophet- i would be honoured to touch the dust they walked on!!! sending lanat is asking god to remove his mercy. we do not insult(well we arent meant to, some get a bit carried away 😔). as for the prophets family, no one loves them more than the shia-lets be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callmemorbid)
    long answer: we dont. sunnis may get offended at our sending lanat on certain people. we do no consider these people companions of the prophet. those who loyal to the prophet- i would be honoured to touch the dust they walked on!!! sending lanat is asking god to remove his mercy. we do not insult(well we arent meant to, some get a bit carried away 😔). as for the prophets family, no one loves them more than the shia-lets be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How do you know which were loyal and which weren't loyal.
    And lanaah is worse than insult.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callmemorbid)
    long answer: we dont. sunnis may get offended at our sending lanat on certain people. we do no consider these people companions of the prophet. those who loyal to the prophet- i would be honoured to touch the dust they walked on!!! sending lanat is asking god to remove his mercy. we do not insult(well we arent meant to, some get a bit carried away ). as for the prophets family, no one loves them more than the shia-lets be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So why do you send lanat on Aisha (ra)?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    How do you know which were loyal and which weren't loyal.
    And lanaah is worse than insult.
    please see my next post

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ooh cool, u from london fam?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    So why do you send lanat on Aisha (ra)?
    to see who was right and wrong-we can use the quran and history. everything shias say is narrated in sunni books before shia. for example "fatima died angry with abu bakr" is in sahih bukhari, its not a secret.

as for aisha:
    1) the battle of jamal when she fought against imam ali as. even aisha herself narrates "the truth is with ali and ali is with the truth" then she fights him.lol
    2) in the quran there is a verse (cannot remember the surat but ill find it if you want). that says "we can find you better wives if you want". its hardly a secret that this was revealed after aisha and hafsa told the prophet pbuh that his breath smelt bad.

these are the two main points that sunnis cannot deny ie the battle of jammal DID happen.
    i dont want to go into what shias think she did as we will not have a mutual ground and you will just refute the sources. there is no point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can I bite you?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabulkid)
    Ooh cool, u from london fam?
    near london!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 64 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do shias act like being a shia is a whole different religion to Islam. I remember in college, some shia girls used to do their eyebrows because 'its halal for them" despite the fact the prophet saw forbade shaping eyebrows. Why is it "haram for sunnis and halal for shias" :s

Also, why do shias pray differently to sunnis (the way prophet Muhammad saw used to pray)? How can you claim to be muslim yet not follow the sunnah of the prophet (saw)?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    How old was Aisha (RA) when she married Muhammad (pbuh)? I think Shias say older than what Sunnis say. What do you think is the reason for this difference of opinion?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Which country are you from?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    Why do shias act like being a shia is a whole different religion to Islam. I remember in college, some shia girls used to do their eyebrows because 'its halal for them" despite the fact the prophet saw forbade shaping eyebrows. Why is it "haram for sunnis and halal for shias" :s

Also, why do shias pray differently to sunnis (the way prophet Muhammad saw used to pray)? How can you claim to be muslim yet not follow the sunnah of the prophet (saw)?
    ironically ithink sunnis do not follow the sunnah lol. please read my above post on praying. sunni scholars cannot agree on how to pray, at least shias are constistent. maliki sunnis pray with hands down. and this is the first ive heard of the eyebrows thing lol- pretty sure all the sunnis i know do their eyebrows!!!! omg do they not follow the sunnah!!!! eyebrows is such a petty thing when you clearly have giant issues to be dealing with.

shia islam is like a different religion to the corrupt version of islam the mainstream world has. i am PROUD to say i disagree with the majority of muslims

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    i heard shias whack themselves lol wtfs that bout?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankabout)
    How old was Aisha (RA) when she married Muhammad (pbuh)? I think Shias say older than what Sunnis say. What do you think is the reason for this difference of opinion?
    personally im not too sure. ive heard some convincing arguments for older but they can be refuted(cant remember them of the top of my head sorry). difference in opinion is most likely due to discrepancies in history/people not wanting the prophet to marry a nine year old. either way i dont think it matters that much, there are definitely much bigger aisha related issues we could deal with

Posted from TSR Mobile
Updated: August 6, 2014
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.