Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Eating and drinking Jesus

Announcements Posted on
Have you had any embarrassing moments? Share them here.. 27-02-2015
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is the purpose of eating Jesus' body and drinking his blood? This seems normal to Christians, but to an outsider it can seem very creepy and is essentially ritualistic cannibalism. Before people paste massive chunks of text saying things like "it brings you closer to him", surely you can do that spiritually without having to believe you're consuming him too?
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    What exactly is the purpose of eating Jesus' body and drinking his blood? This seems normal to Christians, but to an outsider it can seem very creepy and is essentially ritualistic cannibalism. Before people paste massive chunks of text saying things like "it brings you closer to him", surely you can do that spiritually without having to believe you're consuming him too?
    mmmm jesus diped in chocolate :tong:
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    It does taste really good though...
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    The Bible I suppose is a major reason for this. How should one interpret such a verse?

John 6:53-57

Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Since we are on the topic of christianity, can someone give me a quote from the bible that states, jesus is God. Ya'know the trinity.
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    It does taste really good though...
    Really? I had it for years and the cracker's dry and tasteless.
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    The Bible I suppose is a major reason for this. How should one interpret such a verse?

John 6:53-57

Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.
    Yeah, but the verse doesn't really explain the logic behind it, it just seems odd. I have a quote in my sig about a comment a religious troll made concerning eating Jesus.
  8. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Procrastinate)
    Since we are on the topic of christianity, can someone give me a quote from the bible that states, jesus is God. Ya'know the trinity.
    There are quite a few, "I and the Father are One" being one of the most famous, but that will derail this thread.
  9. Offline

ReputationRep:
    There are quite a few, "I and the Father are One" being one of the most famous, but that will derail this thread.
    That is a little ambiguous
    Is there an actual verse that directly states he is God, in the bible.
    Just curious.
  10. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Not to derail the thread but:
    Luke 18:19 And Jesus said unto him, Why call me good? none is good, except one, that is, God.

11. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I believe in some denominations they get proper bread, just not in Catholicism :no: On the other hand, I think it's only Catholics who believe that it actually transforms into the body and blood of Jesus at the moment of transubstantiation.

Transubstantiation is something I struggle with so I'm not gonna pretend to know anything or have a decent answer. Why not go ask a Catholic priest about the theology and meaning/significance behind it? Surely the best explanation would come from a priest
  12. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tawheed)
    Not to derail the thread but:
    Luke 18:19 And Jesus said unto him, Why call me good? none is good, except one, that is, God.

This is derailing, but yes there are instances where this contradicts previous statements. Nevertheless, he does claim his divinity various times.
  13. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I believe in some denominations they get proper bread, just not in Catholicism :no: On the other hand, I think it's only Catholics who believe that it actually transforms into the body and blood of Jesus at the moment of transubstantiation.

Transubstantiation is something I struggle with so I'm not gonna pretend to know anything or have a decent answer. Why not go ask a Catholic priest about the theology and meaning/significance behind it? Surely the best explanation would come from a priest
    Thanks for the advice, I may well do because I never understood this even as a Catholic.
  14. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Procrastinate)
    I can reply to you in the Ask About Christianity thread with verses in the Bible that support the trinity.
  15. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I am an Orthodox though and I think it's different from that of the Catholics.

It's a specific type of fresh bread here with an awesome wine... it tastes like heaven (I only taste it once a year though).
  16. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Because they're nutjobs.

That's usually the go-to answer.
  17. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Some denominations like the Methodist Church often use grape juice as a substitute for wine. At least Catholics get proper wine :mmm:
  18. Offline

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCIvmdABBnU

Think this pretty accurately depicts the origins of Christianity
  19. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Some denominations like the Methodist Church often use grape juice as a substitute for wine. At least Catholics get proper wine :mmm:
    This is true :ahee:
  20. Online

ReputationRep:
    Jesus hot cross buns

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 3, 2015
2015 general election
New on TSR

Uni tuition fees could drop to £6k

Election genius or huge blunder by Labour?

Article updates
Useful resources
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.