Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I just ask... What is it with muslims and shoes?

Announcements Posted on
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

London after a muslim protest

ok seriously guys... wtf is it with you and shoes...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick.w)

I can say with full confidence these photos are pretty much all photoshopped
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    showing someone the bottom of your shoes is an insult from a cultural point of view, it sort of has the connotation that the person the insult is aimed at is as worthless as the dirt on the bottom of their shoes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    like idk even kno fam cuzzie
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_shabba)
    showing someone the bottom of your shoes is an insult from a cultural point of view, it sort of has the connotation that the person the insult is aimed at is as worthless as the dirt on the bottom of their shoes
    yea but why does the shoe thing follow islam wherever it goes.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWillSuckUrMum)
    like idk even kno fam cuzzie
    yeman its bare perplexual
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    yea but why does the shoe thing follow islam wherever it goes.
    Why does a pint of cider follow British people wherever they go? cultral thing I guess, im not Muslim but what is strange to me and you is normal for other cultures and vice versa. Google may provide answers, posting on TSR abous Islam can only go one way, but you know this anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    Why does a pint of cider follow British people wherever they go? cultral thing I guess, im not Muslim but what is strange to me and you is normal for other cultures and vice versa. Google may provide answers, posting on TSR abous Islam can only go one way, but you know this anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    merely talking about islam can only "go one way" apparently

so its nuttin new.

thing is drinking alcohol or even cider is not exclusive to england. and its not part of a protest routine.

if english people started morris dancing on flags everytime they had a something to protest about then maybe you could compare.

you never saw irish people throwing pints of guiness on pictures of margaret thatcher.

its just kinda bizarre.

and its also kinda hard to take their anger seriously when the shoes come out.

its like rioters trained by your angry grandad that would chase you with his slipper.

but british people don't even protest on whole nations due to the actions of a few. we're not that stupid.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    merely talking about islam can only "go one way" apparently

so its nuttin new.

thing is drinking alcohol or even cider is not exclusive to england. and its not part of a protest routine.
    I don't know....seen the EDL recently?

but british people don't even protest on whole nations due to the actions of a few. we're not that stupid.
    We have in the past though.

However, the reason we don't now is because we are a dominant country and the actions of other nations tends not to impact us severely, so we have no reason to protest.

That said, some of the Photoshipping in the OP is pretty good.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    foot fetish epidemic

not srs
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    I don't know....seen the EDL recently?

We have in the past though.

However, the reason we don't now is because we are a dominant country and the actions of other nations tends not to impact us severely, so we have no reason to protest.

That said, some of the Photoshipping in the OP is pretty good.
    i have. i'm not sure you could call it a protest.

and ok lets take ireland.

you never saw irish people doing stupid protests.

you didnt see them throwing shillelaghs or broad black brimmers at union jacks.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    i have. i'm not sure you could call it a protest.

and ok lets take ireland.

you never saw irish people doing stupid protests.

you didnt see them throwing shillelaghs or broad black brimmers at union jack s.
    It's not in there culture to do so.

Culture is a broad and expansive topic comparing a Cultural Pastime pr garment with a Cultural gesture is erroneous and I think you know that don't you?

You might however have seen them raise two fingers*index and middle..Knuckles facing out) or One(Middle, knuckle out) in an insulting gesture...that's a western cultural gesture that you don't find often in the Middle-East for example and one we are fond of using to insult people.
    In the UK I have been to plenty of Protests where protesters give the finger to the police, pictures of thatcher, pictures of Mohammed, the Israli flag etc etc etc.

In Middle Eastern countries they don't give the finger...they give the sole.The sole of a persons foot was always seen as an insulting thing, I am sure you remember the Llyods TSB adverts from years ago which showed the man in the cafe with the bare foot and all the Arabs were outraged!.
    It's also a practice in Muslim/Hindu/Buddhist/Sikh cultures to remove shoes before entering places of worship, to avoid treading dirt and impurities into a place of holy-worship.

Therefore showing the sole of the shoe is a means of implying that the target of the insult is like dirt, or is impure or unwanted.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    It's not in there culture to do so.

Culture is a broad and expansive topic comparing a Cultural Pastime pr garment with a Cultural gesture is erroneous and I think you know that don't you?

You might however have seen them raise two fingers*index and middle..Knuckles facing out) or One(Middle, knuckle out) in an insulting gesture...that's a western cultural gesture that you don't find often in the Middle-East for example and one we are fond of using to insult people.
    In the UK I have been to plenty of Protests where protesters give the finger to the police, pictures of thatcher, pictures of Mohammed, the Israli flag etc etc etc.

In Middle Eastern countries they don't give the finger...they give the sole.The sole of a persons foot was always seen as an insulting thing, I am sure you remember the Llyods TSB adverts from years ago which showed the man in the cafe with the bare foot and all the Arabs were outraged!.
    It's also a practice in Muslim/Hindu/Buddhist/Sikh cultures to remove shoes before entering places of worship, to avoid treading dirt and impurities into a place of holy-worship.

Therefore showing the sole of the shoe is a means of implying that the target of the insult is like dirt, or is impure or unwanted.
    yea but they take it a bit far. to the point where its funny.

they just suck at PR. then have the patronising fall back of "oh they're foreign leave them alone you can't expect them to be as sophisticated as us"

yes i can. they need to up their game.

like protestants in northern ireland were waaaaay behind the irish in terms of PR.
    they kept making stupid choices.

i can't remember the last time i met someone of any age in the uk that has even heard of the UDA or UVF.

while the protestants were still blaming the irish for everything the irish went international and got into hunger strikes.

and if muslims are making an international demonstration and shoes is the best they have... then im sorry. but thats the slow kid in the playground.

now u saw the pic from london. those were british muslims throwing shoes.

they have no excuse. they live here. they know drunken lads draw dicks on their sleeping mates faces for fun.

how is a shoe going to offend them.

the whole thing about communicating an insult to someone is for the receiver to comprehend it.

like the drawing of Muhammad with a bomb on his head.
    or that clothing label that did a muslim kissing a jew or a priest or something.

and muslims are still faffing about with footwear?

also who walks around with spare shoes to throw?

unless they're walking back home bare foot.

and you know what. people around the world have every right to laugh at the EDL.

they look like idiots. with muslamic rayguns. swaying around singing god save the queen and getting into fights with each other.

i expect the world to laugh at them and their moronic display.

just i expect people laugh people brandishing shoes in anger.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't really know where you're going with this thread to be honest. It's a cultural thing, basically their way of saying "up yours". What's the issue?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

It's Arab culture not Islamic in anyway shape or form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_tossing

See insult section.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/7783325.stm

http://www.crikey.com.au/2008/12/15/...an-arab-thing/

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/06/wo...-significance/

It the same as for example showing your middle finger is an insult.

Seriously people need to learn the difference between Islam/Muslim's and culture.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ridwan12)
    It's Arab culture not Islamic in anyway shape or form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_tossing

See insult section.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/7783325.stm

http://www.crikey.com.au/2008/12/15/...an-arab-thing/

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/06/wo...-significance/

It the same as for example showing your middle finger is an insult.

Seriously people need to learn the difference between Islam/Muslim's and culture.
    islam is a culture

london central mosque and islamic cultural centre
    http://www.iccuk.org/

i'm really getting tired of liars saying its not a culture when everyone including the liars kno that it isnt.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    islam is a culture

london central mosque and islamic cultural centre
    http://www.iccuk.org/
    Islam is a religion.

Yes you get Islamic culture such as calligraphy etc but this is Arab culture. Big difference....
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ridwan12)
    Islam is a religion.

Yes you get Islamic culture such as calligraphy etc but this is Arab culture. Big difference....
    islam is not just a religion.

any muslim knows that.

its an incredibly dishonest religion too. one that spreads lies about itself. then it forces people to have to read up on it to find out what they're actually lying about.

islam is a system of law, governance, etiquette, right down from how you eat to how you dress.

its much more than just a system of spiritual belief and theory of origin.

you know that. i know that.

even the clowns who are not muslim but claim to be defenders of minorities know its not JUST a religion.

you've just admitted its a culture.

yet your going to try and slick talk me into a mistruth.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    yea but they take it a bit far. to the point where its funny.
    Funny for you...due to your culture.

and if muslims are making an international demonstration and shoes is the best they have... then im sorry. but thats the slow kid in the playground.
    It's not the best they have, it's just one thing of many they do.

now u saw the pic from london. those were british muslims throwing shoes.
    British Muslims are by and large immigrants, who retain that culture.

just i expect people laugh people brandishing shoes in anger.
    Then laugh it's no skin of anyones back.

I think the best example I can give is a personal one.

I am a Muslim, I was not raised however in a middle-eastern/Arabic culture or household, I don't have a habbit of taking my shoe of and showing the sole to offend them.
    I don't have that habbit precisely because it's not an Islamic one, it's a cultural one, there are many Islamic Habbits I do have however.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:

You also forgot how they remove their shoes when they pray at Mosque out of respect.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 26, 2014
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.