The Student Room Group

If you faint during an exam, do you automatically get an A?

This girl in my class fainted during our gcse biology exam, and therefore she didn't take it, and she's been telling people that she's going to get an A because she fainted during the exam... btw she's been consistently getting Cs and Ds in her mock exams.

So if you do faint during an exam, do you automatically get an A??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Seems pretty unfair. I thought you either had to wait and resit it or get your predicted grade or a grade you got in a mock

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kxylah
This girl in my class fainted during our gcse biology exam, and therefore she didn't take it, and she's been telling people that she's going to get an A because she fainted during the exam... btw she's been consistently getting Cs and Ds in her mock exams.

No, that would be silly, you only get your predicted grade... But if she has been predicted an A, I think she will get it :tongue:
Reply 3
Yep she will get her predicted grade probably. Been tempted to "faint" but just couldnt bring myself to do this, im not a good liar so doubt im a good fainter.
Reply 4
Original post by Boundless_x
No, that would be silly, you only get your predicted grade... But if she has been predicted an A, I think she will get it :tongue:

We don't have anything called predicted grades we just have MEGs which are based from our year 9 CATs exam, and I think her MEG is a B, however she's been getting Cs and Ds in her exams... do you think she really got an A in that sense?
Its unlikely she'll even just be given her predicted grade, all of those stories you here are usually just made up. From what I've heard from people in the past, they'll just mark what she managed to complete. But hey if she wants to tell herself that she'll be given an A then its her own problem
I had a mate who was sick loads before a GCSE exam and got his predicted grade, but he'd already got like 50% of it at an A from his coursework so they gave him an A overall.
If she was predicted ds and cs then there is no way she would be given an A. However I guess it depends on the exam board. I mean why not a A* ?
Original post by kxylah
We don't have anything called predicted grades we just have MEGs which are based from our year 9 CATs exam, and I think her MEG is a B, however she's been getting Cs and Ds in her exams... do you think she really got an A in that sense?

What does MEG stand for? :tongue:
No, she won't get an A then :s-smilie:.... I think the highest she will be getting is a B

Edit: if you have coursework, she might get her coursework grade for her overall :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Science exams are often made up of units. School will apply for special consideration - say she get's two C's in her other units, and missed this one, they will invent the grade that they believe she could get, either a C or a D for that unit.
They will never use predicted/mock grades for the exams, they will use data from other exams and the nature of your special consideration in order to create a grade for you.
Reply 10
Original post by Boundless_x
What does MEG stand for? :tongue:
No, she won't get an A then :s-smilie:.... I think the highest she will be getting is a B

Edit: if you have coursework, she might get her coursework grade for her overall :smile:

Haha MEG is basically minimum expected grade! &we did have coursework but she didn't hand anything in so she got 0...

Original post by Turtlebunny
Science exams are often made up of units. School will apply for special consideration - say she get's two C's in her other units, and missed this one, they will invent the grade that they believe she could get, either a C or a D for that unit.
They will never use predicted/mock grades for the exams, they will use data from other exams and the nature of your special consideration in order to create a grade for you.

thank you that clears it up! :smile:
You re-take it.

If you're disabled you get your mock grade.
Original post by kxylah

They'll work out an average UMS score over the other units, and may compare it to her predicted/mock grade if they can be bothered.

Or she could just be given a C.
Original post by SotonianOne
You re-take it.

If you're disabled you get your mock grade.

You can't retake units anymore, even though it's modular - it's in a linear structure.

So all Y11 GCSE exams terminate at the end of Y11, and you can only retake English and Maths exams without retaking the course!
Original post by jamestg
You can't retake units anymore, even though it's modular - it's in a linear structure.

So all Y11 GCSE exams terminate at the end of Y11, and you can only retake English and Maths exams without retaking the course!

I was told you'd be held in "quarantine" to avoid outside contact and re-take it as in the day after, not next year.
Original post by kxylah

She will get her mock grade I would presume.
Original post by SotonianOne
I was told you'd be held in "quarantine" to avoid outside contact and re-take it as in the day after, not next year.

School can't hold you in quarantine for a whole day.

You're thinking of when exams clash.
I have a fainting condition... Unfortunately its not just faint and bam you get an a. She would need a doctors note, saying she was unfit to take the exam, her predicted grade and proof that she would have achieved her predicted grade eg a mock paper
Original post by kxylah

No.
We normally give them a break and some food and if they're fit enough we get them to carry on (we give them a separate room). If she really wasn't fit to carry on then and the school submits the evidence for that then her final grade will depend on how she does in the other units.
Original post by kxylah

Im not sure about that, i doubt it, but i hard that if someone dies in an exam everyone who sat the exam in the same hall automatically achieves their target grades for that exam because of the trauma. Sorry, random, i know :tongue:

Latest