The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Physics 20th May 2015 discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foreboding
The principle of moments (anticlockwise = clockwise moment) and the light beam moment questions are not coming up so don't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes im okay with learning moments. Physics overall is a challange for me. I dont really enjoy it. I know that i can at least get a B in it though. Id love to get an A.

How can you be so sure that the light beam wont come up. Never under estimate lol. It doesnt come up often so it could be a curve ball this year.
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
Yes im okay with learning moments. Physics overall is a challange for me. I dont really enjoy it. I know that i can at least get a B in it though. Id love to get an A.

How can you be so sure that the light beam wont come up. Never under estimate lol. It doesnt come up often so it could be a curve ball this year.

I know it's not coming up because the specification says it is on paper 2. If you learn all the formulas (and how to use them), the convection radiation and conduction which is easy and the motion forces rules I think you'll do fine. If anyone is stuck they can msg if they want.
are ray diagrams part of the syllabus because it came up in jan 2014 but i cant find it in my text book or online
Original post by Foreboding
I know it's not coming up because the specification says it is on paper 2. If you learn all the formulas (and how to use them), the convection radiation and conduction which is easy and the motion forces rules I think you'll do fine. If anyone is stuck they can msg if they want.
Oh yeah it does. I didnt check that page in the spec. Lol i havent revised it yet anyway lol
Original post by richardkeys
are ray diagrams part of the syllabus because it came up in jan 2014 but i cant find it in my text book or online

Im gonna fail the ray diagram question. I have no clue on how to do them properly. I usually scrape 2 or so marks. Its really hard to find examples on how to do them.
Original post by djmans
its better to know all the formulas, usually they help you identify the equation in the first part of a question.

Well basically I would learn them otherwise your screwed....
But you are given a few on the formula sheet, sometimes you're given the units but sometimes they ask you so good luck :smile:
Reply 66
Guys can anyone explain to me how electromagnetic induction and the dynamo effect work?
Reply 67
The paper was confusing but I prolly managed at least 100/120.. I didn't know what to write for why a variable resistor was used I wrote a "control" -_-
Reply 68
Original post by wenogk
The paper was confusing but I prolly managed at least 100/120.. I didn't know what to write for why a variable resistor was used I wrote a "control" -_-

Yeah I said to alter the resistance if current gets to large. Idek if that makes any sense......

Posted from TSR Mobile
So guys how was the paper anyone remembers the questions or answers?What did you guys write for used on total internal reflection,i wrote used in prisms to produce spectrum of white light ah i dont know btw what did everyone write for the last question and the kitchen question?The last qesution was about the thermistor and graph
Reply 70
I wrote optical fibres to transfer data and periscopes in submarines
In the graph what was on x axis the force or distance
Original post by Pagarani Neelesh
In the graph what was on x axis the force or distance

force
what did you guys write for the hazards in the kitchen?
i wrote something about the water being hazardous due to electric shock
and something about the appliances in the kitchen can have faults eg. exposed live wires
and the third point was about having too many appliances on can cause a large current and a surge, this can cause a fire.
i am really unsure about this question because i felt that i was repeating myself. plus, it was 6 marks! that's too much to loose on a paper like this!
so, what do u guys think? and tell me what anwers you put down...

oh and for the squerrel question, what did u answer?i said C- "GPE increases" because i know that B- cannot be true because there is the force of gravity. And i think A is wrong too because if the force was unbalanced, then the querel will be moving right?
and something about the appliances in the kitchen can have faults eg. exposed live wires
and the third point was about having too many appliances on can cause a large current and a surge, this can cause a fire.
i am really unsure about this question because i felt that i was repeating myself. plus, it was 6 marks! that's too much to loose on a paper like this!
oh and for the squerrel question, what did u answer?
i crossed C-
Original post by anisa711

oh and for the squerrel question, what did u answer?i said C- "GPE increases" because i know that B- cannot be true because there is the force of gravity. And i think A is wrong too because if the force was unbalanced, then the querel will be moving right?

I wrote about the water but then I went off about burns and stuff...dunno, it was quite a hard paper
Reply 76

For the squirrel question, I said A
Because there is an unbalanced force on the squirrel, causing the squirrel to slow down and stop travelling at a constant velocity
Original post by ellie98
Because there is an unbalanced force on the squirrel, causing the squirrel to slow down and stop travelling at a constant velocity

Yeah I said A as well
Original post by ellie98

ut i thought that having an unbalanced force causes acceleration...
Reply 79
ut i thought that having an unbalanced force causes acceleration...

it can also cause deceleration

Quick Reply

Latest