The Student Room Group

A levels at home

Hello new to this site, looking for some information and suggestions. Recently been medically discharged from the army for an unforseen injury. Which i left sixth form to join. Im now nearly 19 with not a single level 3 qualification. I have a massive passion for biology and while i was only at sixth form for 6 months i excelled in this subject my predicted grade being an A. Now i want to study biology and chemistry at home so i can go to university in maybe 2 years to study biomedical science. I would love to acheive a B in both shbjects, i just want to know how many hours studying a night it would take after work, and the types of things i could do really do well in exams etc. any information, experience or suggestions would be great. Thank you.
Well look on the course website at the recommended number of learning hours, i would say for just one a level, an hour a night on weeknights would be a pretty safe bet
Have you considered how you will go about the practical work? I believe the ISA/EMPAs are being scrapped for next year, but it's still necessary for you to complete a set amount of practicals for both. It might be difficult to find somewhere to do this if you aren't going to a college.
If this isn't an issue then I definitely think it's doable using online resources. I would make a revision timetable for the entire year so you know what topics to cover when. I'd spend between 3 and 5 hours a day but it depends for each individual. Also I would recommend making notes on each topic using youtube, revision websites, textbooks etc. Then attempt questions and past papers. Past papers are essential in learning exam technique.
If you do decide to do this, I'd be happy to help. I'm currently in my 2nd year studying biology and chemistry.

Oh also, I may be wrong but to study biomedical science at university, you need a minimum of 3 A Levels. It's worth checking out a few universities to confirm this.
Reply 3
Thank you, its just getting started and getting everything sorted. thats true although i have found some universities that accept 2 a levels luckily.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending