The Student Room Group

ICT OCR G061 2015 June 1st

Scroll to see replies

Original post by georgie7689
1NF:
Data is atomic (so everything is broken down as much as it can do, like address is stored as 'address line 1' 'address line 2' etc)
Field names are unique
There is a primary key

2NF:
Must be in 1NF (so it needs to follow all the rules above)
All non-key attributes/fields relate to the primary key

3NF:
Must be in 2NF
All non-key attributes/fields must fully depend on the primary key

I know its not the complicated version of 2NFand 3NF but youll still get the marks in the exam if you put that. So all you have to remember is that 2NF is relate and 3NF is depend :smile:

thank you, and any help with wimps?
Yeah he is, but i dont wanna revise loads on those subjects but then it doesnt come up in the exam

I guess if you want to take that risk,but i would be vary of what people have claimed on the internet, as some guy a couple weeks back claimed to be cheif examiner, and wanted us to pay him for the paper...
Original post by Tree321
thank you, and any help with wimps?

So with wimps its windows, icons, menus and pointers.

In the exam they'd probably ask you to describe the characteristics of a WIMP interface, so you just basically take each point and expand on it

So its a GUI (graphical user interface) so its based on graphics rather than text

A window is basically the screen that opens when you click on an application like a tab sort of thing so that you can use the software
The icons are used to represent an application to the user so that they know what it is before they open it, so like with access its a key symbol
The menu provides different options, that can be selected by the userIt uses pointers, so basically it reflects the users movements and reflects them on screen so that the user can make selections
Reply 63
Need help with static and dynamic parameters and graphic libaries
Original post by S345k
Need help with static and dynamic parameters and graphic libaries

Static - Is when the information will not change when its produced, for example a book, it is only accurate the day it was printed.

Dynamic - Is information that is constantly changing and updated for example a website.

Parameter - Is when you enter a value into a query ( basically search for something ) and the result is shown that you searched for << I think not to sure.

Graphics library - Collection of pictures that are standard symbols in the industry?<< Sorry for the crap definition.
Anyone got a way of learning relationship and data flow diagrams, cant seem to get my head round them!
What are hubs and swtiches?
Reply 67
Original post by Tree321
Static - Is when the information will not change when its produced, for example a book, it is only accurate the day it was printed.

Dynamic - Is information that is constantly changing and updated for example a website.

Parameter - Is when you enter a value into a query ( basically search for something ) and the result is shown that you searched for << I think not to sure.

Graphics library - Collection of pictures that are standard symbols in the industry?<< Sorry for the crap definition.

Thanks! yeah The book is terrible so vague
Reply 68
I thinks it gonna be a nice exam but grade boundaries are gonna be high, The pattern has always been low,high,low last years was very low so I think it will be high this time
Are his predictions usually right?

Yes...majority of the time. The attachment I put up is Paul Longs predictions and it is colored according to the key he provided. The yellow ones are ones where he has got wrong in the way.
But remember these are PREDICTIONS; not definite.
Original post by Tree321
What are hubs and swtiches?

They distribute network packets between devices. They do the same job, but a hub distributes the packets to all devices, a switch learns the location of devices using a routing table and only sends it to the destination.
Original post by -jordan-
They distribute network packets between devices. They do the same job, but a hub distributes the packets to all devices, a switch learns the location of devices using a routing table and only sends it to the destination.

thanks x
relationships and data flow diagrams anyone?!!
our teacher said last year the grade boundary was like 70 for an A, is it likely to be much higher this year?
Can someone give the advantages and disadvantages of graphic libraries?
Can someone give the advantages and disadvantages of graphic libraries?

ADVANTAGES INCLUDE:
-Consistent designs
-Thumbnails
-Range of images
-Integrated with software
-Readily available
-Vector graphics
-Up to date product ranges

DISADVANTAGES INCLUDE:
-Software updates to keep symbols up to date.
-Inconsistencies between organisations and nations
-May not have the required symbol

Hope this is clear
Original post by S345k
AS predictions-

Information
Data sources
Static data and dynamic
Validation
Characteristics of applications
Adv/Disadvantages of tailoring
Consistent house style
Masters,style sheets,templates
Modelling software characteristics
spreadsheets for simulations
Releational database terminology
Identify database features and ERD
Characteristics of normal forms
Select data tyoes
Clipart and thumb nails
Graphic libraries
Non linear and hierachical presentation
Impact of ICT,Future developments and Ict laws-
There will almost definitely be on discuss question and a big explain question using 3.1.6.a, b or c- if in section a, its unlikely to be about social networks,internet or cmmunicating with customers, there will almost definitely be a question about law (REVISE THE LAWS ITS VITAL) even if its not a discuss question. Expect ECA and FOIA as these havent been tested yet
Advantages and disadvantages of professional bodies
Safety problems

Paul Long gave these predictions?
Original post by anish.s97
Paul Long gave these predictions?

I don't think so as the attachment I put up were Paul Longs predictions (...gave us a copy when he visited our colleges...) of what is likely to come up, what could go either way and what is less likely to come up.

Some specification points for Likely to come up is not shown in the list above. But not entirely sure where the user got these predictions from.
Original post by Arsenal.FC
I don't think so as the attachment I put up were Paul Longs predictions (...gave us a copy when he visited our colleges...) of what is likely to come up, what could go either way and what is less likely to come up.

Some specification points for Likely to come up is not shown in the list above. But not entirely sure where the user got these predictions from.

In your attachment, the cells highlighted in green are the topics most likely to come up right?
Original post by anish.s97
In your attachment, the cells highlighted in green are the topics most likely to come up right?

Yup

Quick Reply

Latest