The Student Room Group

2:2 degree in French and Spanish Career options

It looks as if I am about to graduate from university with an average of between 54 and 55%, which is a 2:2 (no extenuating circumstances). I genuinely tried my best. My degree is in Spanish and French. For my dissertation, I received a mark of 52%. For my final Spanish speaking exam, my mark was 68% (2 points off a First), and some pieces of translation and composition coursework were over 60%. Should I emphasise this on my CV? I also have a few other queries.
1. Would my fluency and language competence be questioned by employers? I have lived in France and Spain as part of my degree, and can communicate perfectly well and fluently with the people there.
2. If I was interested in moving into a TEFL career in Spain, would a 2:2 put off any potential employers. I have TEFL experience and a CELTA, arguably more importan than a degree classification.
3. How difficult would it be to gain entry to a Translation/Interpreting Masters Course, most of which ask for a high 2:2 or 2:1?
4. What other career options are open to me?
Reply 1
If I were you, I would look into working for an international company. There are jobs out there where a second or third language is preferred (in the languages you possess). Have you considered foreign diplomacy? I would look into an entry level position with the government. Have you considered looking for permanent work in France or Spain?
Reply 2
Original post by apple32
If I were you, I would look into working for an international company. There are jobs out there where a second or third language is preferred (in the languages you possess). Have you considered foreign diplomacy? I would look into an entry level position with the government. Have you considered looking for permanent work in France or Spain?

Thanks for your reply and suggestion, I will definitely look into foreign diplomacy. The only permanent work I've really considerate is TEFL work.
Original post by Gary_92
Thanks for your reply and suggestion, I will definitely look into foreign diplomacy. The only permanent work I've really considerate is TEFL work.

Hi Gary :smile:

Have you looked into freelance translation websites like Proz? You can work from home and charge your own rates per word/hour. Doing translation from spanish/ french into English should be quite straightforward for you. Obviously research the employers beforehand to make sure they will pay you. Hope this helps.

Also do you mind saying what uni you went to? Or at least what tier of uni it is. This could affect job prospects.
Hi Gary,

Just thought I'd jump in here and see if we can offer some advice!

Regarding your questions....

1. In our experience, your practical experience will trump your degree grades - the fact that you lived in France and Spain and that you were able to speak with others fluently whilst there puts you in a very good stead - be sure to highlight this experience on your CV.

2. Again, whether or not a 2.2 will put off any potential employers will certainly depend on the employer on a case by case basis - however, if you have TEFL experience already, this again should be more of interest to potential employers than your grade. You can read more tips on what to do if you have a 2:2 on our site here. My favourite advice from this article is 'you are not just your degree, you are a person with experience and higher education' - so do keep this in mind :-)

3. Whilst I can't advise you on this specifically, I would recommend trying to speak to current Masters students if possible, find out their experience of applying and see what they say - however, as you have mentioned most ask for a high 2.2, you are not too far from this grade, and you have relevant experience you can highlight in your application to help convince whoever is reviewing your application that you are a good candidate.

4. Finally, regarding your career options - it may interest you to know that 75% of top employers take on students of any degree background, and do not require a specific degree type. It is more important (usually) to employers that you are able to demonstrate employability skills (such as working well with others, initiative, communication etc) than for you to have a specific type of degree. Therefore, almost every door is open to you! I would recommend making a list of the following:

- What do you enjoy?
- What are your interests?
- What are you good at?

Once you answer those three questions, it should give you an idea of a few options you can pursue. If you are interested in pursuing a career where you can use your language skills, being able to speak multiple languages is a huge benefit to you - as many businesses work globally, and require employees that can communicate in multiple languages (without specifically requiring you to be a translator).

Does that help? If you have any further questions, let me know!

Thanks,

Chantelle & The Milkround team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending