The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature

Does anyone have any predictions for what questions could come up for the WJEC English Literature exam on An Inspector Calls and Heroes on Friday?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sofiacov
Does anyone have any predictions for what questions could come up for the WJEC English Literature exam on An Inspector Calls and Heroes on Friday?

I'm not sure hope it's easy characters 😄 how did your exam go yesterday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It went okay I think, I did of mice and men. I wasn't really prepared for an extract question on mood and atmosphere but it wasn't too bad. I did the essay on Candy which I was quite happy with and I thought the poetry was alright until I heard everyone saying its about prostitution hahaha what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sheila essay for AIC, on how she highlights key aspects of society at the time the play was set
Reply 4
Original post by electrahearts
Sheila essay for AIC, on how she highlights key aspects of society at the time the play was set

Okay thank you! How likely is it that we will be given a 'give advise' question or 'imagine' question on an inspector calls? because I'm really not sure how to answer them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thank you! How likely is it that we will be given a 'give advise' question or 'imagine' question on an inspector calls? because I'm really not sure how to answer them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

very unlikely. If you look at the specimen paper http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/english/english-literature-gcse/WJEC%20GCSE%20in%20English%20Literature%20SAMs%202015%20(23-10-14)%20-%20Branded.pdf?language_id=1 none of the texts from section 1 of the Unit 2a) paper have any empathy or advice questions, just how the character highlights society. However I the section 2 books (About a boy, heroes) etc. still use the "Imagine you are..." questions
Reply 6
Does anyone know last years grade boundaries for these exams because I can only find the UMS marks online?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Does anyone know last years grade boundaries for these exams because I can only find the UMS marks online?

Posted from TSR Mobile

in unit 2, 58 for an A*, 50 for an A, 42 for a B and 35 for a C

in unit 1, 41 for an A*, 36 for an A, 31 for a B and 26 for a C
It went okay I think, I did of mice and men. I wasn't really prepared for an extract question on mood and atmosphere but it wasn't too bad. I did the essay on Candy which I was quite happy with and I thought the poetry was alright until I heard everyone saying its about prostitution hahaha what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg!!!! how? i don't understand. it was about nature invading the man made world. please can u tell me more about this i think i did really bad now hearing you say that. prostitution did not come into my mind during the exam
Reply 9
Original post by xsana.khanx
omg!!!! how? i don't understand. it was about nature invading the man made world. please can u tell me more about this i think i did really bad now hearing you say that. prostitution did not come into my mind during the exam

Awh don't worry! When I was in the exam prostitution never crossed my mind either, but now that I've came out and looked at the poems again I can see how people have made that connection as City Lilacs said something like 'bare legged girls shiver in April winds' and 'men and women are lost in transactions of flesh and cash'...maybe I'm just too innocent hahaha! But I really don't think it matters, poems are open to interpretation so there can be no right or wrong answer. As long as you have expressed your point of view and justified it the examiner will give you credit. I think they purposely said that it was about nature rather than prostitution because it will allow for a wider variety of answers whereas if they told us it was just about prostitution everyone's answers would be the same. So I'm sure you did fine, I hope this makes you feel a bit happier :smile:
Awh don't worry! When I was in the exam prostitution never crossed my mind either, but now that I've came out and looked at the poems again I can see how people have made that connection as City Lilacs said something like 'bare legged girls shiver in April winds' and 'men and women are lost in transactions of flesh and cash'...maybe I'm just too innocent hahaha! But I really don't think it matters, poems are open to interpretation so there can be no right or wrong answer. As long as you have expressed your point of view and justified it the examiner will give you credit. I think they purposely said that it was about nature rather than prostitution because it will allow for a wider variety of answers whereas if they told us it was just about prostitution everyone's answers would be the same. So I'm sure you did fine, I hope this makes you feel a bit happier :smile:

Thanx , i've just had another look at the poem now and my mind was literally blown! i cannot believe i missed it. do you have any predictions on what the questions will be on friday for a christmas carol and blood brothers? or what i need to revise?xxxx
Reply 11
Thanx , i've just had another look at the poem now and my mind was literally blown! i cannot believe i missed it. do you have any predictions on what the questions will be on friday for a christmas carol and blood brothers? or what i need to revise?xxxx

I'm not sure sorry, I do An Inspector Calls and Heroes but if you look at the past paper questions you can probably cancel out which characters or themes probably won't come up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure sorry, I do An Inspector Calls and Heroes but if you look at the past paper questions you can probably cancel out which characters or themes probably won't come up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats what i thought but in Of Mice and Men Candy came up again and not Curley since he's never been on apparantly. oh well i think i'll have to revise everything the good old fashioned way.thank you xx
Original post by electrahearts

how do you know?
Original post by zainpatel26
how do you know?

lmao I don't that's just my prediction :biggrin:
Reply 15
thats what i thought but in Of Mice and Men Candy came up again and not Curley since he's never been on apparantly. oh well i think i'll have to revise everything the good old fashioned way.thank you xx

I managed to make a prediction on george, curley's wife and candy, as these characters hadn't come up whereas curley, crooks lennie and slim had all come up. do the same by looking at the past paper essay questions. are you doing a christmas carol?
Reply 16
Hi! Is anyone doing About a Boy?
Original post by Mcfly44
Hi! Is anyone doing About a Boy?

Yep
That's what I was thinking as well - either Sheila or Mr Birling hopefully!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
anyone doing Othello and Never Let Me Go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending