The Student Room Group

F1 Visa's and Working in the USA

Hi there,

Im going to be studying in California next year and basically, I am on a scholarship progamme with an accounting company called Deloitte.

I would like to get some experience of working with them in the USA (maybe for around 4-6 weeks) and could arrange with my employer for this to happen,

I am not sure what the procedures are in regard to visa's and work permits, is anyone able to help with this?

Cheers
Reply 1
I would have thought that both Deloitte themselves and the American Embassy in London would be happy to help.

Getting something like this wrong could be costly, as many countries would revoke your student visa (and thus your place at uni) if you were deported / turned away at the border for illegal work.

I would speak to the Embassy first to find out what you need to do, then get Deloitte to help you as they may need to sign things to say you have a job lined up and won't be looking for other work out in the states. They will almost certainly have people with them that have a lot of experience in applying for visas etc.

I am guessing that you will need a separate visa, and that the F1 student one won't be enough.
Reply 2
Contact the American Embassy in London to see what you can do. I know F-1 visa holders have to go through and get various things like Social Security in order to work off-campus (if they can do at all). Sadly my info about it is all back in California so I can post back here in a couple of days when I get it all back.
Your F1 sponsor (presumably your Cal uni) can authorise certain work while you're studying, in theory they can do it for you but very often it can only be on campus or they'll restrict it. Your best bet is to ask them what the possibility is of you being allowed to work or intern while in F1 status.

Latest

Trending

Trending