The Student Room Group

There are no hard exams.

60 years ago, A levels were hard. Now they are designed so that a lot more people can pass them. Can professionals still be trusted to do a good job if they have not passed hard exams?
Reply 1
Passing an exam and getting an A* or an A are polar opposites. You can't say an exam is easy because E is considered as a pass....
I would hope professionals had passed harder exams than A Levels to be 'professional'!!
Waking up is the second hardest thing in the morning....
Exams have not changed in difficulty. The content in most exams has changed completely since 60 years ago though, especially in the sciences as new ideas and concepts have been introduced in the specification. However, if you take a look at the maths A-level then not much has changed really. We have access to the internet and far more resources than they did 60 years ago and this may also show in improved grades.

And even if you proved me wrong and showed that the exams were harder 60 years ago, you only need like 3 C grades to get into some of the top universities back then. There wasn't much competition and the pressure of getting a job or place at university back then was far lower. Now you have to get a minimum of 3 A grades to get into these same universities and even when you do get in it still isn't enough to get a job anymore.

Also professionals have their own exams which they need to pass and they, as far as I am aware, have not changed in difficulty.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by farmanimal123
60 years ago, A levels were hard. Now they are designed so that a lot more people can pass them. Can professionals still be trusted to do a good job if they have not passed hard exams?

I agree, now they are almost as easy as your mum. :bl:
Original post by aliman65
Exams have not changed in difficulty. The content in most exams has changed completely since 60 years ago though, especially in the sciences as new ideas and concepts have been introduced in the specification. However, if you take a look at the maths A-level then not much has changed really. We have access to the internet and far more resources than they did 60 years ago and this may also show in improved grades.

And even if you proved me wrong and showed that the exams were harder 60 years ago, you only need like 3 C grades to get into some of the top universities back then. There wasn't much competition and the pressure of getting a job or place at university back then was far lower. Now you have to get a minimum of 3 A grades to get into these same universities and even when you do get in it still isn't enough to get a job anymore.

Also professionals have their own exams which they need to pass and they, as far as I am aware, have not changed in difficulty.

30 years ago only 5 percent of people went to university.
Why do you keep making stupid pointless threads? Seriously this is like the third one in the last few days. If you don't have anything proper to say, you don't need to make new threads.
This is not the forum for discussion of this kind. Moved to Educational debate.
There are hard exams - otherwise everyone would get full marks.

English Literature A2 contains one of the hardest exams that I have ever come across; 2 and a half hours, 2 questions - closed book, Shakespeare (Hamlet), Blake, unseen and The Revenger's Tragedy - AO1, 2, 3 and 4... this is not an easy exam.

Psychology A2 - ADDICTION, DEPRESSION AND PSYCHOLOGICAL RESEARCH (CONTAINING UNDERGRADUATE STATISTICS) - this is a hard exam.

SCLY3 (Sociology) - Power and Politics - another hard exam.

Geography A2 - Unit 3 (Contested Planet) - learning 6 topics - Biodiversity, water, energy, development gap, technological fix and superpowers. This is another 2 and a half hour exam - learning 6 topics for 3 to come up (7 essays) ... and this is without the 70 mark question that you get in unit 4

Thus... there are hard exams!
Original post by aliman65

Trust me... exams were harder in most cases decades ago. Just compare the old O Level maths from the 60s to GCSE maths now...
Original post by nataliet97

English Literature A2 contains one of the hardest exams that I have ever come across; 2 and a half hours, 2 questions - closed book, Shakespeare (Hamlet), Blake, unseen and The Revenger's Tragedy - AO1, 2, 3 and 4... this is not an easy exam.

Psychology A2 - ADDICTION, DEPRESSION AND PSYCHOLOGICAL RESEARCH (CONTAINING UNDERGRADUATE STATISTICS) - this is a hard exam.

Geography A2 - Unit 3 (Contested Planet) - learning 6 topics - Biodiversity, water, energy, development gap, technological fix and superpowers. This is another 2 and a half hour exam - learning 6 topics for 3 to come up (7 essays) ... and this is without the 70 mark question that you get in unit 4

Those subjects are easy compared to other subjects like STEM
Original post by TheWaffle
Trust me... exams were harder in most cases decades ago. Just compare the old O Level maths from the 60s to GCSE maths now...

Was talking about maths A-level. Everyone knows GCSE is easy.
Reply 14
Original post by nataliet97

I'm also studying Hamlet, the RT and unseen poetry and finding it so difficult to structure/write essays! Wonder if you have any tips?
STEP/AEA/MAT and M4/M5????
How are you defining difficulty? How do you do so without taking into account some degree of individuality? Also considering the 'teach to the test culture' and entry requirements that bridge that gap between actual ability and potential ability? What does the history matter really? Is it enough to just say exams are easier?

I think much more work needs to be done on your side of the debate.
Oh, apologies but I just missed perhaps the most crucial point.

Are exams the only/best/even effective way of measuring academic ability? Does it even do that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending