The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You have to begin with your main argument. If your essay question is asking whether you agree with a particular point, then your opening paragraph should clearly state whether you agree or disagree with that particular point, then you spend the rest of the essay justifying your decision.
Reply 2
ok. thanks for that. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Yeah, don't start outlining what you're going to do in the essay- it's a waste of words and unnecessary.

Hmm...

I usually spend my essay providing a for and against then sum up in the conclusion which side I agree with. Provides a more balanced essay than just justifying one opinion I feel.
Reply 4
Shove in the pre-requisites and definition of terms first.
Reply 5
ok, another quick question. conclusions- aka the bane of my essay writing life. do i simply have to sum up what i've said and argue my point a bit more? i've always thought conclusions had to be really purposeful and have a massive impact- but i dont know if that is the case... again anyhelp would be appreciated
Reply 6
I always get told off by my lecturer for developing my argument in my conclusion. You shouldn't argue the point a little bit more, just sum up your argument. I hate conclusions as well though, they are very difficult to get them to sound impressive!
Reply 7
Dunno, some people advise you to make a radical new point in your statement, others don't.

I think it's only meant to be about 4 lines long tbh, nothing lengthy, just summing up what your actual conclusion on the argument is.
Reply 8
ok thanks a lot guys. :biggrin: i know i probably sound really stupid, but i just want to make sure that i get it right seeing as these are the first essays ive got to write.
Reply 9
If they're the first one don't worry. That's what your first year is about - practising. Just do your best and really pay attention to the feed back so you can build on your skills.
Reply 10
just out of curiosity, for language degrees, are the essays in english or in the languages u study?
Reply 11
Depends on the module and the university etc.

Most of mine are in English but I have an some in German.
Reply 12
I've managed to go my first 2 years doing my literature essays in English, just because the modules where you're examined in French didn't appeal to me. My year abroad essays are in French & Italian though.
Reply 13
ive got three essays to do and all are in english, but i have one to do in feb, which has to be in french. i think it really varies on the modules and unis
We were told to write something called a thesis statement in the introduction, which is basically a short answer to the question that you can then develop and expand on in the main body of your essay. I'd guess the rule about a paragraph for each main point and giving a balanced answer still stands. The conclusion is supposed to make an impact, but I'm not really sue how you'd achieve that. Mainly it should just sum up your arguments, but not just repeat the introduction. I hate introductions and conclusions too, and we were advised to write the main body first. So far, I've only had to write one essay in French and there's another one in semester 2, but they're only short; the first one was 350 words. I also have to write 4 2000 word essays in English, 2 for French and 2 for Spanish.
Reply 15
ok, another quick question, what do you guys understand by an 'appreciation' i have to write an appreciation of three texts. Is it basically an analysis saying what i thought was effective/not? or have i got this completely wrong?
Reply 16
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending