The Student Room Group

Finding Love?

Hey, I'm a 20 year old guy, never really had a proper girlfriend, but that's probably because I've never had the guts to ask someone out that I like.

I feel like I missing out in life because I've never had that experience of being in a relationship.

I would like to find someone who I can deeply care for, be affectionate towards and love.

However I'm not too sure how to go about doing it. What are the best places to meet new people? How do I go about talking to a girl? How do I go about asking them out? How affectionate should I be towards them, without being too clingy?

Thanks for all the help in advance, it feels pretty awkward asking this, not something I would normally do.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I'm a 20 year old guy, never really had a proper girlfriend, but that's probably because I've never had the guts to ask someone out that I like.

I feel like I missing out in life because I've never had that experience of being in a relationship.

I would like to find someone who I can deeply care for, be affectionate towards and love.

However I'm not too sure how to go about doing it. What are the best places to meet new people? How do I go about talking to a girl? How do I go about asking them out? How affectionate should I be towards them, without being too clingy?

Thanks for all the help in advance, it feels pretty awkward asking this, not something I would normally do.

Don't worry about it. Relax, enjoy yourself, expand your social circle, get some new hobbies, good things come to those who wait :smile:
Hello :smile: Firstly, I know it feels like you're missing out on loads, but it's not as big a deal as you think. Many 20 somethings haven't been in a relationship. There is plenty of time to meet someone. Try not to put too much effort into 'trying to find someone' as you will end up sending off signals that you're desperate and needy- which are generally very unattractive. This is because people want to feel special and unique.

Instead, focus on your interests and really immerse yourself into activities that excite you, that way you open yourself up to meeting people who share common interests and also gives you something to talk about. From my own experience, if you love what you're doing in life, people will gravitate towards you as you're giving off positive vibes.

Meeting places depends entirely on your personal interests, personality and habits. For intstance, if you're active you can join a sport group. From there you could arrange a group outing for drinks or something, which would give you further opportunity to get to know people without the 'date' pressure. That's just an example of course, if you're more introverted like me, online dating can be good (if you're wise about it) as you can lay down some conversational foundations before you meet face to face. It's a great way of finding people who have similar interests.

Being affectionate in a relationship is a personal thing. Some people love to be kissed and cuddled constantly, in public etc. whereas others aren't so touchy-feely. That would be something you'd find out once you started dating and most people are quite vocal about that type of thing :smile:

Hope I helped in some way, feel free to talk with me.

Quick Reply