The Student Room Group

'Gay cake' row: Judge rules against Ashers bakery

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by william walker
Taking away more Liberty from Protestants in Ulster. The Loyalists see what the Liberals and Republicans are doing trying to destroy us and take away our ability to pass on our legacy to our children. This is a Puritan law and Puritans are enforcing it.

What has this case got to do with Protestants at all???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
As the judge said "It was a contract for a commercial business to bake and ice a cake.....the plaintiff was not seeking support nor endorsement."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Good bloke
You are so vindictive and vengeful that you would deny a murder who is out on licence the food to sustain him? I thought you were a Christian.

:ahee::bigsmile::giggle::grin::happy2::hahaha::hello::hi::laugh:

I am a Protestant.
Original post by albanach

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everything,
(edited 8 years ago)

I am a Protestant.

An unchristian one.

Think religious bigotry combined with political bigotry and you pretty well summarise it.
Reply 26
Everything!

Nope nothing at all, you do realise that this case is about a Christian bakery not a Protestant? & Christianity includes so many branches of religion so stop trying to make this about Protestants and saying that it is taking away Liberty from Protestants in Ulster is the most ridiculous thing I have heard so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by B-FJL3
The baker had no problem selling cakes to anyone, his objection was to the special message that the customer requested be put on top of the cake.

This case is really not as clear cut as you seem to be implying since there are clearly two human rights in conflict here: freedom from discrimination vs freedom of thought, conscience and religion.

As the barrister for the bakery pointed out, this potentially sets a pretty awkward precedent. I haven't read the judgement but, on the face of it, this appears to mean that, for example, a Muslim printer would be unable to refuse to print Charlie Hebdo cartoons showing Muhammad, or a pacifist t-shirt seller would be unable to refuse to print an aggressively pro-Iraq War slogan on t-shirts.

Neither of the hypothetical people in those examples could ever have imagined that, when they entered into that line of work, they might be asked to do something that clashed so directly with their fundamental beliefs. Nevertheless, if they are asked to do so they must surely have a right to refuse, not because of any bigotry towards the customer, but because they are being asked to compromise their core beliefs by both writing, and then helping to spread, a message they do not agree with.

It's really not too much to ask for some reasonable accommodation here, but instead the judgement seems to send the message out that everyone has human rights but not all human rights are equal... although, that being said, it's perhaps a little too early to come to that conclusion without considering the judge's reasoning first.

They fought the law and the law won. Basically, if you want you want to be in business, you need to leave your religious beliefs at home.
Reply 28
Original post by Good bloke
Surely the point is that the baker is a hypothetical person. In fact the refusal was made by a company and, not being human, has no human rights. The customer, on the other hand, was human.

I take your point, but that surely cannot have been among the arguments made otherwise as you point out it wouldn't have taken very long to come to a verdict.
I don't agree with this judgement. I think the bakery were foolish to refuse to make the cake in the first place, but I also believe they should have the right to turn down any job that makes them feel uncomfortable. If they don't want the money from the sale, then that's their choice.

I am a supporter of gay rights but I also believe in equality, so I don't think gay rights should take priority over religious rights. If the bakery had refused to make any cake then I would agree the guy was discriminated against but I don't think that happened here, it was just that particular cake they had an issue with.

The guy looking the cake could either have gone elsewhere or changed the design for the cake. Both parties here need to learn to compromise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maker
They fought the law and the law won. Basically, if you want you want to be in business, you need to leave your religious beliefs at home.

More like you need to subscribe to the State religion of political correctness and worship of homosexuals.
Nope nothing at all, you do realise that this case is about a Christian bakery not a Protestant? & Christianity includes so many branches of religion so stop trying to make this about Protestants and saying that it is taking away Liberty from Protestants in Ulster is the most ridiculous thing I have heard so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is likely because you know nothing about Protestantism or Loyalism.
Reply 32
That is likely because you know nothing about Protestantism or Loyalism.

Doubt that you know anything about my knowledge of things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doubt that you know anything about my knowledge of things

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah so you don't know anything about it then?
From Canada. The Rebel.media fighting back against Liberal Puritanism.

[video="youtube;pin-ZBqAgVM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pin-ZBqAgVM[/video]
if the bakery had a policy of refusing to print any political propaganda on their cakes then fine

but i highly doubt that is the case here
Reply 36
This is absolutely insane. People have a right to disagree with homosexuality and nobody should be forced to bake a cake which goes against their own belief. Just another example of our rights being taken away.
Reply 37
Original post by thesabbath
More like you need to subscribe to the State religion of political correctness and worship of homosexuals.

The sound of butt hurt. LOL
Not overly pleased by this, I can kinda understand the reasoning behind the ruling but it does certainly infringe upon the individual views a person holds.

If they do not want to show support to gay marriage, they should not have to.
Reply 39
Sorry but if they don't want to make a gay cake it is up to them surely.

If it is their business, if it offends their beliefs they have a right to refuse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending