The Student Room Group

'Gay cake' row: Judge rules against Ashers bakery

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chazwomaq
I discussed this earlier. NI has special provision about political beliefs - The Fair Employment and Treatment (Northern Ireland) Order 1998. I don't think the rest of Britain does, although the Equality Act (2010) does have Religion and Belief as a protected characteristic, including lack of belief. I don't think that is specifically about political beliefs though.

Yeah the good counterexample I was referring to was the atheism one.

I don't have time at the moment to look into the case law (or read this judgment, to be honest -- given I have law exams at the moment I can't really justify time spent reading irrelevant cases), but this decision seems to me a massive stretch on the language of the Act. It would seem to imply that 'normal' service of cakes to people of x characteristic involves making cakes promoting causes related to x characteristic. I think that is basically unrealistic. So there's the definition of 'normal service', and there's the (related) question of whether we can find 'discrimination' at all in a case where the treatment is not necessarily linked to the characteristic of the purchaser. This cake could easily be bought by a straight person. Straight gay activists exist. Even if they didn't in fact, they could in theory, which is enough to demonstrate that the treatment isn't necessarily linked to the protected characteristic of the buyer.

Now, if I'm wrong here, and this decision is right, then if, as you say, non-religion is a protected characteristic, it should be perfectly open to me as an atheist to go to a quaint little cake shop run by a couple of elderly Christians and demand that they make a 'GOD IS AN ABSURD FAIRYTALE' cake. This seems to me more than a little oppressive. It's already sad how some people are forcing their custom on harmless small business owners in the name of standing up for 'equality'. This takes it way too far.
^^I agree. Always interesting to hear law students' views.

Good luck with the exams.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Yeah the good counterexample I was referring to was the atheism one.

I don't have time at the moment to look into the case law (or read this judgment, to be honest -- given I have law exams at the moment I can't really justify time spent reading irrelevant cases), but this decision seems to me a massive stretch on the language of the Act. It would seem to imply that 'normal' service of cakes to people of x characteristic involves making cakes promoting causes related to x characteristic. I think that is basically unrealistic. So there's the definition of 'normal service', and there's the (related) question of whether we can find 'discrimination' at all in a case where the treatment is not necessarily linked to the characteristic of the purchaser. This cake could easily be bought by a straight person. Straight gay activists exist. Even if they didn't in fact, they could in theory, which is enough to demonstrate that the treatment isn't necessarily linked to the protected characteristic of the buyer.

Now, if I'm wrong here, and this decision is right, then if, as you say, non-religion is a protected characteristic, it should be perfectly open to me as an atheist to go to a quaint little cake shop run by a couple of elderly Christians and demand that they make a 'GOD IS AN ABSURD FAIRYTALE' cake. This seems to me more than a little oppressive. It's already sad how some people are forcing their custom on harmless small business owners in the name of standing up for 'equality'. This takes it way too far.

i agree entirely. these bullies have selected a very soft target for their nasty attack.
I don't think the baker was in the wrong in this particular situation.
Original post by the bear
i agree entirely. these bullies have selected a very soft target for their nasty attack.

Perhaps we can hope that this case, manifestly nuts as it is, is the one to generate something of a backlash.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I'm no lawyer, but isn't Section 5 the relevant one and particularly 5.1(b), "as are normal" and 5.3(e) "for refreshment"?

I suppose there is a point here which is that it stretches the legislation to demand that a "pro-gay marriage message" is by the definition of the legislation "normal". If that's what the issue was. It may be that the bakery have somehow indicated that they objected to the depiction of the figures on the cake too.

Presumably that will be tested on appeal now?

There are a number of relevant sections, but 5 was probably the core one.

Key parts of the judgment:

"I prefer the Plaintiff's submission that same-sex marriage is or should be regarded as a union between persons having a sexual orientation and if a person refused to provide a service on that ground then they were discriminating on grounds of sexual orientation" (p.11)

"I do not accept the Defendants' submissions that what the Plaintiff wanted them to do would require them to promote and support gay marriage which is contrary to their deeply held religious beliefs [...] They are in a business supplying services to all, however constituted." (p.12)

Rejecting the argument numerous people on this thread have been making (myself included): "The Defendants submit that they would have supplied the cake to the Plaintiff without the message 'support gay marriage' and would also have refused an order from a heterosexual customer whose order included the same graphics. I do not consider that this is the correct comparator for the reason that it oversimplifies the enquiry. [Quoting previous cases:] 'In deciding what were the grounds for discrimination it is necessary to address simply the factual criteria that determined the decision made by the discriminator'...'The discriminator may consciously or unconsciously be making his selection on the basis of race or sex. He may not realize he is doing so, but that is in fact what he is doing'..." (pp.13-14)

"What is required is proof of a factual matrix of less favourable treatment on the grounds of sexual orientation and not the motive. I regard the criterion to be "support for same-sex marriage" which is indissociable from sexual orientation." (p.15)

Based on the prior case law, the judge considered that the correct comparator was not a straight person ordering the gay cake, or a gay person ordering a straight cake. It was a straight person ordering a cake promoting straight marriage. I don't really understand the point of that comparison, because it seems to undermine the whole purpose of getting to the bottom of why the decision was made. I suppose, though, that she made this point to support her narrative that supporting gay marriage and being gay are indistinguishable for the relevant purposes.

Personally, I think that the judge obfuscated the issues throughout her judgment, illustrated chiefly by her fudgy equation between supporting gay marriage and being gay. In fact, she fudged things with such consistency that I do wonder whether it was deliberate. As you say, I would be surprised if this decision were not appealed - it's only a county court decision - though it is in the Defendants' hands whether or not to do so.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Perhaps we can hope that this case, manifestly nuts as it is, is the one to generate something of a backlash.

hmmm i doubt that it will. Christians are fair game for all kinds of abuse these days.
Reply 87
As has probably been said many times, would this have been allowed to slide had it been another particular religion picked on?

It's not like the fellow wanting the cake didn't have any other choice of cake shop.

If you want people to accept your sexuality, then at least be accepting of other people's beliefs, even if they may oppose your own.

I'm not against homosexuality and I'm not against religion, but this is a cake at the end of the day and the shop could of just refused to make it, without specifying a reason anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TurboCretin
There are a number of relevant sections, but 5 was probably the core one.

Key parts of the judgment:

"I prefer the Plaintiff's submission that same-sex marriage is or should be regarded as a union between persons having a sexual orientation and if a person refused to provide a service on that ground then they were discriminating on grounds of sexual orientation" (p.11)

"I do not accept the Defendants' submissions that what the Plaintiff wanted them to do would require them to promote and support gay marriage which is contrary to their deeply held religious beliefs [...] They are in a business supplying services to all, however constituted." (p.12)

Rejecting the argument numerous people on this thread have been making (myself included): "The Defendants submit that they would have supplied the cake to the Plaintiff without the message 'support gay marriage' and would also have refused an order from a heterosexual customer whose order included the same graphics. I do not consider that this is the correct comparator for the reason that it oversimplifies the enquiry. [Quoting previous cases:] 'In deciding what were the grounds for discrimination it is necessary to address simply the factual criteria that determined the decision made by the discriminator'...'The discriminator may consciously or unconsciously be making his selection on the basis of race or sex. He may not realize he is doing so, but that is in fact what he is doing'..." (pp.13-14)

"What is required is proof of a factual matrix of less favourable treatment on the grounds of sexual orientation and not the motive. I regard the criterion to be "support for same-sex marriage" which is indissociable from sexual orientation." (p.15)

Based on the prior case law, the judge considered that the correct comparator was not a straight person ordering the gay cake, or a gay person ordering a straight cake. It was a straight person ordering a cake promoting straight marriage. I don't really understand the point of that comparison, because it seems to undermine the whole purpose of getting to the bottom of why the decision was made. I suppose, though, that she made this point to support her narrative that supporting gay marriage and being gay are indistinguishable for the relevant purposes.

Personally, I think that the judge obfuscated the issues throughout her judgment, illustrated chiefly by her fudgy equation between supporting gay marriage and being gay. In fact, she fudged things with such consistency that I do wonder whether it was deliberate. As you say, I would be surprised if this decision were not appealed - it's only a county court decision - though it is in the Defendants' hands whether or not to do so.

I mean. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems fairly plain to me that the outcome of this case is wrong. Fundamentally because as you say there is nothing in this case that suggests that there was discrimination against a protected characteristic. Now of course the burden of proof is lower in civil cases but there seem to be a number of possible reasons for discrimination here and it doesn't seem to be possible to prove which one it is.

It's possible that they were in fact discriminating against the customer, making an assumption about their sexuality. It's possible that they were just discriminating against the message, where any customer would have been refused irrespective of sexuality. There are possibly other reasons they didn't make this cake, but you can't prove which one it is. And assuming it was down to sexual orientation seems to me to be an absolutely baseless leap.

"I regard the criterion to be "support for same-sex marriage" which is indissociable from sexual orientation." (p.15)

Well that's just incorrect. They're eminently dissociable. Dolce and Gabbana were all over the news just a few weeks ago for dissociating them publicly.

I think it is patronising, offensive, and wrong to assume that having a given characteristic is indissociable from supporting particular legal incidents which some say should be attached to that characteristic. It tends to deny the subject's capacity for free and critical thought. Humans are capable of supporting views in principle which are not optimal in terms of their self-interest in getting as many legal rights as possible.

It was a straight person ordering a cake promoting straight marriage.

Which is thoroughly absurd because, as I've said, this isn't normal service.

This is crazy ffs.

Thanks for taking the time to pull out the key bits of the judgment (y)
Original post by limetang
I mean. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems fairly plain to me that the outcome of this case is wrong. Fundamentally because as you say there is nothing in this case that suggests that there was discrimination against a protected characteristic. Now of course the burden of proof is lower in civil cases but there seem to be a number of possible reasons for discrimination here and it doesn't seem to be possible to prove which one it is.

It's possible that they were in fact discriminating against the customer, making an assumption about their sexuality. It's possible that they were just discriminating against the message, where any customer would have been refused irrespective of sexuality. There are possibly other reasons they didn't make this cake, but you can't prove which one it is. And assuming it was down to sexual orientation seems to me to be an absolutely baseless leap.

It's not even that. The judge seems to me to be saying that, even if the customer had been straight, this would still have been discrimination.

The key thing here is the phrase "on the grounds of sexual orientation". What the judge seems to be saying is that if you refuse to print a pro-gay message on a cake, you are discriminating against gay people. It doesn't matter that the actual person you're serving isn't gay - you are discriminating against him (whoever he is) on the grounds of sexual orientation (i.e. on the grounds that you disagree with a pro-gay message).

I think that the above is a very strained interpretation of the law. I also think it requires a leap in logic - namely that disagreeing with gay marriage is inherently homophobic.

I have to qualify this by saying that this is only my (hurried) reading of the judgment - I actually find it quite difficult to make head or tail of the judge's reasoning.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PopaPork
Why should a baker who's job it is to bake things refuse to bake a cake?

Is this a joke or? You do realise that they're not obliged to bake a cake for anyone.
It's not even that. The judge seems to me to be saying that, even if the customer had been straight, this would still have been discrimination.

The key thing here is the phrase "on the grounds of sexual orientation". What the judge seems to be saying is that if you refuse to print a pro-gay message on a cake, you are discriminating against gay people. It doesn't matter that the actual person you're serving isn't gay - you are discriminating against him (whoever he is) on the grounds of sexual orientation (i.e. on the grounds that you disagree with a pro-gay message).

I think that the above is a very strained interpretation of the law. I also think it requires a leap in logic - namely that disagreeing with gay marriage is inherently homophobic.

I have to qualify this by saying that this is only my (hurried) reading of the judgment - I actually find it quite difficult to make head or tail of the judge's reasoning.

It's an intellectually dishonest interpretation of the law. The equality act, to the best of my knowledge, protects individuals from discrimination based upon a protected characteristic. That is, that it is there to prevent people from receiving unequal treatment because of their Race, Sex, Sexual orientation etc.
And of course a factor that seems to have gone under the radar is that same-sex marriage is not legal in NI (although this will no doubt change very soon).

So the judgement seems to require people to support something not yet recognized in law!

How about a bestiality cake Judge Brownlie? Sheep need love too.

Reply 94
Original post by chazwomaq
And of course a factor that seems to have gone under the radar is that same-sex marriage is not legal in NI (although this will no doubt change very soon).

So the judgement seems to require people to support something not yet recognized in law!

How about a bestiality cake Judge Brownlie? Sheep need love too.

When people compare bestiality or anything of that sort to homosexuality, their argument instantly loses all credit. Apologies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wondering something about the people supporting the bakers and their supposed "right" to discriminate because of their "religious freedom".

Would you be saying the same if it was a Muslim baker refusing to make a cake for a Christian wedding? Or a gay wedding? Would you be defending this hypothetical Muslim baker then? Because somehow I doubt it.

I suspect a lot of the people currently defending the Christian baker would change their tune very quickly if that were to happen, given the sort of people they often tend to be. They'd be calling for the baker's head on a stick and using the case in order to attack Islam (which would probably be justifiable, but a bit hypocritical).

Discrimination is unacceptable regardless of who is doing it.
Original post by william walker
So you think they should be forced to serve a murder or rapist then?

are you seriously comparing a murder or a rapist to someone who loves differently to you?
Original post by RFowler

Not quite. Illegal discrimination is unacceptable regardless of who is doing it. Not much discrimination is illegal and therefore unacceptable. For instance, a shopkeeper can discriminate in who he employs based on the perceived competence of the candidates; or can refuse to serve someone on the grounds of his drunkenness. Football managers discriminate every week on the basis of who is good enough to be in the team; university admissions tutors can discriminate against potential students who they think will not succeed on their course.

It is a mistake to think all discrimination is unacceptable. If it were we would be in total chaos, with people who cannot drive being employed as bus drivers and people who cannot read being employed as proofreaders.
Original post by RFowler
Just wondering something about the people supporting the bakers and their supposed "right" to discriminate because of their "religious freedom".

Would you be saying the same if it was a Muslim baker refusing to make a cake for a Christian wedding? Or a gay wedding? Would you be defending this hypothetical Muslim baker then? Because somehow I doubt it.

I suspect a lot of the people currently defending the Christian baker would change their tune very quickly if that were to happen, given the sort of people they often tend to be. They'd be calling for the baker's head on a stick and using the case in order to attack Islam (which would probably be justifiable, but a bit hypocritical).

Well this is wrong on all sorts of levels.

Firstly, I don't know who's argued that it's because of their 'religious freedom'. I for one am opposed to religious privilege, and support the right of private business owners to choose whom they wish to do business with. Being against forcing these bakers to make this cake does not necessarily bring with it support for religious privilege.

Secondly, no-one's said anything about Muslims. You start your post by attacking one straw man and then move on to attacking a different one. You're just talking to yourself.

Thirdly, if you'd read the story or the thread, which I know you haven't because you clearly don't understand the key issues here, you'd have noticed that this isn't a story about a bakery refusing to make a cake for a gay wedding. It is a story about a bakery refusing to make a cake carrying political messaging in favour of gay marriage. That, some of us are arguing, is a completely different situation. It is not to do with the sexuality of the person ordering the product, but with the product itself; the bakery would make any other cake for a gay person, including for a gay wedding, and they would likewise refuse to make this particular cake for a straight person.

This is crazy not least because, as chazwomaq pointed out, gay marriage is not legal in Northern Ireland.

Original post by *Stefan*
When people compare bestiality or anything of that sort to homosexuality, their argument instantly loses all credit. Apologies.

Which, incidentally, was probably the point of his bestiality comment. You know, one can give a counterexample without asserting that it is equal in all respects to the original example. Indeed, that is precisely the point of a counterexample. If you can't follow that you basically don't understand how argument works, or at least aren't willing to hear it. I'm not sure which of those is worse.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tanyapotter
are you seriously comparing a murder or a rapist to someone who loves differently to you?

No. I am saying the government shouldn't have the power to force a business to service someone for any reason.

Also the issue here isn't who you love it is the undertaking immoral sexual acts. Also the immoral marriage law is illegal as the Anglican Churches opposes it. Indeed the immoral marriage law was passed to undermine the preeminence of the Established Protestant Church of England and the final protection of the Protestant law and liberty within the British nation state. All the equality and diversity laws and commission are in place to undermine and destroy the Protestant faith and High Tory state.

Oh and before you reply with ignorance and bigotry please do some research into the Restoration, Glorious Revolution, English Bill of Rights and High Toryism to understand my position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending