The Student Room Group

'I have a dream' for Deutsche Bank

Scroll to see replies

I don't think GCSE results have much to do with it as long as they're relatively ok, as in 10A-C's. I think its more based on things like community service and your statement etc.
Reply 61
community service?!?! sorry, that shouldn't be funny.
Reply 62
The thing is that I had lots of work experience and community service. I also spent ages on my statement.
Reply 63
Hey gammy. I had 8.5A*s, 3As and 0.5Cs

I don't think it was based on community service much, as the only "community service" I put down was the fact I helped younger kids in our school if they had any problems (Buddy Scheme), so it wasn't really something I did in the community, just a school thing.

I did put a lot of work into the statement though...
Reply 64
Unlucky guys on your unsuccessful applications. Does this mean, if we didn't get a letter we're out of the red zone for the moment?
not necessarily.although i think all the people that didn't even pass the first paper swift have been contacted now (mine was first class post)..i was quite suprised that they rejected me so quickly, but oh well.dogonarope..its weird how you got to the interview stage last year and then didn't get through the paper swift this year.maybe it did have something to do with the MS work experience-maybe they felt that you had, had one opportunity to experience IB and that others should be given a chance-in which case that sucks because you shouldn't be penalised for it.i hope i get the ML placement though, although my application was really rushed
Guess some people just didn't have a dream :biggrin:

I'd laugh myself to the interview stage if I didn't get rejected considering my personal statement was 3 sentences :biggrin:
it could be they were trying to get the right mix of ethnicities and rejected a random bunch accordingly :frown:
Reply 68
well i got rejected.though i thought my application was very strong. got into cambridge and lse for economics (which i mentioned). talked about my work experience at a central bank, won a couple of economics competition.i guess i wasnt ethnic enough.lol.
wazzup
well i got rejected.though i thought my application was very strong. got into cambridge and lse for economics (which i mentioned). talked about my work experience at a central bank, won a couple of economics competition.i guess i wasnt ethnic enough.lol.

are we all indian males that got rejected?
Reply 70
another economist

no
Reply 71
wazzup

Can't believe you was rejected! You sound like the perfect person for the placement. I guess its not a job your applying for so its not all about academic acheivement.
Reply 72
andy_1989
Can't believe you was rejected! You sound like the perfect person for the placement. I guess its not a job your applying for so its not all about academic acheivement.

Well it is a job, it may as well be. They don't run these things just to help kiddies along in life out of the goodness of their hearts. It could be thought of as a 3 month long interview or them attempting to recruit you now so you are theirs upon graduation.
It isn't all about academic achievement, it helps without question but it is not the be-all and end-all of your employability. That said, there are a fair few Oxbridge people floating around aiming at these postitions, perhaps one already at study or with more EC's (*shudders*) beat them to it?
Reply 73
Scuttle
Well it is a job, it may as well be. They don't run these things just to help kiddies along in life out of the goodness of their hearts. It could be thought of as a 3 month long interview or them attempting to recruit you now so you are theirs upon graduation.
It isn't all about academic achievement, it helps without question but it is not the be-all and end-all of your employability. That said, there are a fair few Oxbridge people floating around aiming at these postitions, perhaps one already at study or with more EC's (*shudders*) beat them to it?

do you seriously think so?
no offence, but i seriously think that these things are aimed for people fom disadvantaged backgrounds. they dont care whether these 30 odd people who get a placement will go into IB. in the end of the day, look at the profiles at people who got in on windsor fellowship website. do they look or sound like future Investment bankers? I dont realy care that i got rejected. i expected an outcome. my mate applied for it last year. despite being an outstanding candidate and having an offer from cambridge engineering, as well as RAF stuff, he got rejected.
and i am 100% sure that on paper my application looked strong. i m being a realist and not big headed. I think i deserved an interview.
another economist

i am.

This is the reason they gave last year for me not getting to the second round interview (paraphrased): "Deutsche Bank wanted a balance of all ethnicities and genders, and most of our applications were from Indian Males, so we were forced to reject a lot of outstanding applicants which were Indian males."

I mentioned this on the ML Atlantic Fellowship thread as well.. so it may be down to luck as well.

Also, to the person who posted that it might be a '3 month long interview in the hope of recruiting' ... errr... I don't think so!

1. The scheme lasts 4 weeks
2. It's a scheme designed for 16-18 year olds from ethnic and disadvantaged backgrounds.. something that Windsor Fellowship has organised... Deutsche Bank just get better publicity from it.
3. I think the IBs have enough Undergrad applicants from Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial/Warwick etc. to more than fulfil their recruiting needs...

P.S - anothereconomist.. I thought you were against IB... why did you apply to this scheme then?
wazzup
no offence, but i seriously think that these things are aimed for people fom disadvantaged backgrounds. they dont care whether these 30 odd people who get a placement will go into IB. in the end of the day, look at the profiles at people who got in on windsor fellowship website. do they look or sound like future Investment bankers? I dont realy care that i got rejected. i expected an outcome. my mate applied for it last year. despite being an outstanding candidate and having an offer from cambridge engineering, as well as RAF stuff, he got rejected.
and i am 100% sure that on paper my application looked strong. i m being a realist and not big headed. I think i deserved an interview.

Do you go to a private school? That could be why.
Reply 76
thedogonarope
This is the reason they gave last year for me not getting to the second round interview (paraphrased):

That sounds a bit stupid, shouldn't they have made hose kind of cuts after the 2nd interview, when they would have got more of a definition of the applicants?
Reply 77
supernova2
Do you go to a private school? That could be why.

i went to a crap comprehensive school for gcses, but now go to a grammar school.
fblade
That sounds a bit stupid, shouldn't they have made hose kind of cuts after the 2nd interview, when they would have got more of a definition of the applicants?

Yup.

But what can you do...
Reply 79
wazzup

I don't mean to say that you are not a worthy candidate, or that the people that got the jobs are better than you and didn't just get the job so some snobby investment bank could widen its diversity profile.
What I meant was that they don't really do this stuff to help out ethnic minorities because they want to, rather it is a means to an end. They need to look like some big soft, multi-racial company and so they might throw a few less-able candidates a bone based on their background profile (state school, under-represented ethnicity, whatever).

At any rate my point was that even disregarding the fact that some less academically abled candidates got positions, there is still some people that you might class as 'inferior' because they didn't go to Oxbridge or LSE who just turned out to be better candidates. In the minority no doubt, but they exist I'm sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending