The Student Room Group

IAL Physics Unit 1 - 19th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Elina_Trixie
What did you guys write for the first part of the towing car question??

what was the questions? was it horizontal component? i wrote it was 80cos65 if that was it
Original post by Ambrina
I was most confused in the student jumping graph question and the acceration-time and displacement time question. What about you guys?

do you mean the athlete jumping question iwth the reaction force-time graph??? that was trickyy :frown:
Original post by Ambrina
what was the questions? was it horizontal component? i wrote it was 80cos65 if that was it

i wrote that the tension would push the car over the bump...but then because there was like a slope the gravitational field force would accelerate the car down the slope, and so even if the towing car stopped moving the other car could still move
Found it really tough so much less time nd so much to think ..
Original post by Ambrina

Not that one... it was the question with a car being towed with a nylon strap... they said us why the car kept moving...
Reply 25
Original post by andy3nieto
do you mean the athlete jumping question iwth the reaction force-time graph??? that was trickyy :frown:

yes, sorry the athlete* jumping was what I meant. Even i found that the hardest considering it was worth quite a few marks too
Reply 26
Not that one... it was the question with a car being towed with a nylon strap... they said us why the car kept moving...

Oh sorry. I was very unsure about that too. I wrote that the stretched nylon strap has E.P.E and so it has a force which keeps the car moving.
I think it's wrong though
is a hadron a lepton or a volt ....
Original post by Ambrina
Oh sorry. I was very unsure about that too. I wrote that the stretched nylon strap has E.P.E and so it has a force which keeps the car moving.
I think it's wrong though

I wrote something similar. I wrote that the E.P.E of the nylon gets converted to K.E of the car. I dunno if that's correct... made sense to me during the exam :P
I really screwed up in the last two questions ; 18 and 19 ....|
I mean i could do it if only i had more time......
left many many things here and there cuz of the time limit and the fact that this one has 19 questions rather than 17/18 questions you would expect.
I really hope the grade boundaries are around 50-60 something
Now I am starting to wonder if I will even get a B or C in this paper , hell I dunno what will happen in unit 2 which is on 4th June...
God help us all
Reply 30
I wrote something similar. I wrote that the E.P.E of the nylon gets converted to K.E of the car. I dunno if that's correct... made sense to me during the exam :P

That sounds about right, hahah i wish i'd remembered about transfer of energy
Reply 31
I was done 15 mins before the exam finished, but yes some stuff were hard. I think ill get around 55 hopefully.
I also messed up in mcqs. what was the swimmer one? ppl said depth but I mistakenly chose velocity which is wrong.. and what was the bouncing ball mcq? I did A but ppl said it was C or something
Reply 32
Found the paper quite easy, defiantly easier than last year's! Got a maximum height of 0.32m for the athlete though I not so sure about that because I used initial velocity as 0 there :P Quite happy they didn't ask too much about materials and stuff!
Reply 33
Original post by A84
I was done 15 mins before the exam finished, but yes some stuff were hard. I think ill get around 55 hopefully.
I also messed up in mcqs. what was the swimmer one? ppl said depth but I mistakenly chose velocity which is wrong.. and what was the bouncing ball mcq? I did A but ppl said it was C or something

work done= 1/2 mv^2 and mgh. so mass, height and velocity do affect the work done. The depth does not. That's what i chose as well.
For the bouncing ball i selected the graph which was a straight horizontal line with gradient zero because total energy of any system remains constant (energy can neither be created nor destroyed) and they told us to ignore air resistance so energy surely stays same throughout, I think
Original post by MadZler
Found the paper quite easy, defiantly easier than last year's! Got a maximum height of 0.32m for the athlete though I not so sure about that because I used initial velocity as 0 there :P Quite happy they didn't ask too much about materials and stuff!

why was the speed less on the non shallow bit ( outside area)
Reply 35
Original post by examgirl414
why was the speed less on the non shallow bit ( outside area)

On the outside you had turbulent flow forming, which is faster than laminar, while the inside kept being laminar.
Original post by MadZler
On the outside you had turbulent flow forming, which is faster than laminar, while the inside kept being laminar.

i said because of turbulent flow. but if you have turbulent flow it means its travelling slower. not faster right?

and when drawing the lines going from turbulent to lamina do we have to draw every single line? i did 5 out of 6
Reply 37
Anyone done the January 2015 as their mock? That was so much easier and only required 53 for an A, I think this one will have lower grade boundaries so hopefully I can scrape a B and do well in my unit 2.
Reply 38
Original post by examgirl414
i said because of turbulent flow. but if you have turbulent flow it means its travelling slower. not faster right?

and when drawing the lines going from turbulent to lamina do we have to draw every single line? i did 5 out of 6

No its the other way around, you can check. I don't think quantity really matters, I think 5 is sufficient if drawn correctly.
Original post by Moe21
Anyone done the January 2015 as their mock? That was so much easier and only required 53 for an A, I think this one will have lower grade boundaries so hopefully I can scrape a B and do well in my unit 2.

I did that paper and to me it was way harder, obviously the grade boundaries were consequently lower, but still found it harder than the one we did today. Maybe I was just better prepared for today :P
Reply 39
Yesss January 2015 was so much easier. There was so many easy scoring questions. This paper was much harder than that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending