The Student Room Group

National 5 Chemistry 2014/2015

Not seen a thread for this yet so decided to start one! How's everyone feeling about the exam next week? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I'm really nervous about it😫

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really nervous about the open ended questions!!
I think it should be alright, can't see much except "Using your knowledge of Chemistry" and brominisation tripping me up in the exam.
Reply 4
I think it should be not bad but I also forget condensation polymerisation if it ask to show the monomer! I also don't particularly like redox reactions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope the open ended questions aren't as awkward as they were for physics...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Dreading it soooo much! I passed the prelim with a C so I don't think I'll pass the exam at all. I've left it way too late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know what kind of questions could be asked involving ion-electron equations, as I don't know how much and what to learn about them, seeing as they are in the data book!...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeorgiaBrown99
Does anyone know what kind of questions could be asked involving ion-electron equations, as I don't know how much and what to learn about them, seeing as they are in the data book!...

Posted from TSR Mobile

They'll probably ask you to write the half ion-electron equation for reduction OR oxidation. Or they'll ask to identify if the equation shown is an oxidation or a reduction reaction. They may also ask you to write out the redox equation. Hope this helps! :smile:
Hi everyone, does anyone know the answers to the open-ended questions to last year's (2014) chemistry paper? The one about the film Dante's Peak (i.e the very last question of the paper) is so hard, I don't even know where to start.
Original post by Hi people
Hi everyone, does anyone know the answers to the open-ended questions to last year's (2014) chemistry paper? The one about the film Dante's Peak (i.e the very last question of the paper) is so hard, I don't even know where to start.

For open-ended questions like this, it's usually a good idea to pick out some key words or phrases from the question. I think it would be something like this:

Spoiler

Using that information, you should try and figure out what topic you're dealing with. In this case:

Spoiler

From there, you'd want to find pieces of information relating to that topic and connect them to the question. It's also a good idea to quote relevant pieces of information from the Data Booklet, such as relevant equations (though this might not be so easy, depending on the question). In this question:

Spoiler

I'd recommend leaving them until the end, but reading them when they come up - that way, you'll have some extra time to think about them, and you can focus on stuff that you'll definitely get marks in (most calculations are worth as much as an open-ended question with less bother). And, if you really don't know, guess - you don't get marked down for mistakes in open-ended questions.
Original post by lewman99
For open-ended questions like this, it's usually a good idea to pick out some key words or phrases from the question. I think it would be something like this:

Spoiler

Using that information, you should try and figure out what topic you're dealing with. In this case:

Spoiler

From there, you'd want to find pieces of information relating to that topic and connect them to the question. It's also a good idea to quote relevant pieces of information from the Data Booklet, such as relevant equations (though this might not be so easy, depending on the question). In this question:

Spoiler

I'd recommend leaving them until the end, but reading them when they come up - that way, you'll have some extra time to think about them, and you can focus on stuff that you'll definitely get marks in (most calculations are worth as much as an open-ended question with less bother). And, if you really don't know, guess - you don't get marked down for mistakes in open-ended questions.

Wow, thank you very much! You're amazing at Chemistry! :smile:
okay this is my last exam *the final countdown plays in the background*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachaelbtf
okay this is my last exam *the final countdown plays in the background*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! How you feeling about it? I've not revised it that much, as I was concentrating my studies/revision on upcoming exams which, of course, has now passed.
Tbh, not looking forward to the open-ended questions. If an open ended qu as hard as the one about Dante's Peak in last year's paper comes up, I'm screwed lol. Also, the question about why the gold atoms deflected was quite hard, although it did look quite physicsy by the look of things (coming from a person that despises physics, and doesn't take it).
Same! How you feeling about it? I've not revised it that much, as I was concentrating my studies/revision on upcoming exams which, of course, has now passed.
Tbh, not looking forward to the open-ended questions. If an open ended qu as hard as the one about Dante's Peak in last year's paper comes up, I'm screwed lol. Also, the question about why the gold atoms deflected was quite hard, although it did look quite physicsy by the look of things (coming from a person that despises physics, and doesn't take it).

I studied only chemistry over the Easter break then left it while I did the rest of my exams. honestly I'm not very good at chemistry so I don't really know much (I can do physics unlike you). So I'm just going to completely work through all my notes and then do some more past papers and see what happens!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachaelbtf
I studied only chemistry over the Easter break then left it while I did the rest of my exams. honestly I'm not very good at chemistry so I don't really know much (I can do physics unlike you). So I'm just going to completely work through all my notes and then do some more past papers and see what happens!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I've not looked at chemistry for a while, and coming back to learn it is so depressing- is it just me or there's so much? To be quite honest, the chemistry papers don't require much knowledge except from the open ended questions, but more of problem solving skills :frown:
Yeah, I've not looked at chemistry for a while, and coming back to learn it is so depressing- is it just me or there's so much? To be quite honest, the chemistry papers don't require much knowledge except from the open ended questions, but more of problem solving skills :frown:

I don't remember a thing from s3 and it's stressing me out but of course the rest of my family have a bank holiday so they keep dragging me to do stuff so I'm getting pretty worried. open ended are so confusing I don't think I'm even going to bother with them to be fair

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, I had such a crappy chemistry teacher these last 2 years! I need help, (I'm not sure of he finished teaching us the course) we got up to half life's and radiation, and we have done radio isotopes and learned about beta alpha gamma ect, also equations but nothing more.

So am I missing anything important, I just don't trust my teacher, suprissed he hasn't got the sack.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AmaanAkram
Hi guys, I had such a crappy chemistry teacher these last 2 years! I need help, (I'm not sure of he finished teaching us the course) we got up to half life's and radiation, and we have done radio isotopes and learned about beta alpha gamma ect, also equations but nothing more.

So am I missing anything important, I just don't trust my teacher, suprissed he hasn't got the sack.

Have you done fertilisers and the Haber process and Ostwald process?
And chemical analysis?
National 5 Chemistry Course:
UNIT 1: Rates of Reactions, Covalent Bonding, Ionic Bonding, Acids and Bases etc.
UNIT 2: Homologous Series(alkanes,alkenes,cycloalkanes), and Alcohols, Carboxylic Acids, and Esters, and Fuels etc.
UNIT 3: Metals incl metallic bonding, Oxidation/Reduction, Fertilizers, Radioisotopes (t 1/2 , nuclear equations etc.) and Chemical Analysis
Hope this helped! Let me know ASAP if you haven't been taught any of these.

Quick Reply

Latest