The Student Room Group

AS Music Level EDEXCEL: 02/June/2015 (DURATION: 2HOURS)

Musicians! How are you revising? What set works do you think will come up for Section A and B? Feel Free to Discuss anything about Music :biggrin:. Notes would be helpful too!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by RoxieRofl
Musicians! How are you revising? What set works do you think will come up for Section A and B? Feel Free to Discuss anything about Music :biggrin:. Notes would be helpful too!

I think it is so hard to predict what will come up just because you can't look at past papers becase the set works change each year!

I have been revising by making little flashcards of each feature, and I have also printed out blank copies of the scores and annotated them!

I am very unsure about the stylistic features question....if anyone could give me some points for stylistic features for each set work I would be very grateful!
Hey guys, a bit odd me asking but whats involved in this exam? And the course in general? I'm hoping to do music AS next year and the college I want to go to does edexcel
Reply 4
Original post by manningA15
Hey guys, a bit odd me asking but whats involved in this exam? And the course in general? I'm hoping to do music AS next year and the college I want to go to does edexcel

40% = exam
30% = performance
30% = Composition (including sleeve note)

For the exam you have two listening parts which are pieces which you've studied before followed by a 'chords and lines' exercise (equivalent to about grade five) and then a simple four part harmony question.
Reply 5
Original post by eddso
I think it is so hard to predict what will come up just because you can't look at past papers becase the set works change each year!

I have been revising by making little flashcards of each feature, and I have also printed out blank copies of the scores and annotated them!

I am very unsure about the stylistic features question....if anyone could give me some points for stylistic features for each set work I would be very grateful!

http://musicbcs.weebly.com/set-works.html This has everything that you need.
Original post by Amanysky
40% = exam
30% = performance
30% = Composition (including sleeve note)

For the exam you have two listening parts which are pieces which you've studied before followed by a 'chords and lines' exercise (equivalent to about grade five) and then a simple four part harmony question.

Reply 7
Original post by eddso

I think for that, I'm just saying that you should definitely revise the time periods of all the pieces and what techniques and features prove that it's the specific period style. Like, what features prove Poulenc is neoclassical and 20th century. You get what I mean, hopefully. Hehe.
Reply 8
Original post by sandy5621
I think for that, I'm just saying that you should definitely revise the time periods of all the pieces and what techniques and features prove that it's the specific period style. Like, what features prove Poulenc is neoclassical and 20th century. You get what I mean, hopefully. Hehe.

Yeah I get you :smile: I literally love Poulenc - I'm pro with that one haha

What style do you think Shostakovich is?
Reply 9
The Shostakovich is also a 20th century autobiographical piece. Remember the qoatations from his 1st and 5th symphony. The use of Arch form (ABCBA) is also a 20th century feature. The use of chromatisism.

Also for the Mozart, remember the Edexcel notes do the stylistic feature for why Mozart is a classical piece.
Original post by eddso
Yeah I get you :smile: I literally love Poulenc - I'm pro with that one haha

What style do you think Shostakovich is?

20th century as well I think. I don't think Shostakovich will come as a 10 mark to be honest. I mean, don't know what you can say about it...
Now is that the piano sonata by Mozart will not be on the listening part as it came out before,
but the rest haven't D:
I have one question though, what you guys will choose to answer section B? instrumental or vocal ? I don't know which one though, but is it like you decide one before the exams and only concentrated on the chosen one, eg: you decide instrumental and only prepared for the 4 pieces' features ? is it better for the preparation?
I am kind of loss that don't know which one.., and also Section A i am really not good at it.., my teacher hasn't really started to make me practices a lot on this which makes me so nervous.. any suggestion for self practicing ??
How is everyone coping with the harmony section of it?
Original post by misainoue96
I have one question though, what you guys will choose to answer section B? instrumental or vocal ? I don't know which one though, but is it like you decide one before the exams and only concentrated on the chosen one, eg: you decide instrumental and only prepared for the 4 pieces' features ? is it better for the preparation?
I am kind of loss that don't know which one.., and also Section A i am really not good at it.., my teacher hasn't really started to make me practices a lot on this which makes me so nervous.. any suggestion for self practicing ??

For section B I'm focusing on instrumental because there's fewer to learn in detail and there are many points write about so it's easier. Section A, learn the keywords, like appogiatura and stuff that are linked to that specific piece and you'll be tested on that.nwill need to learn your theory as well, but learn the keywords linked to the piece especially, it will help.
Original post by sandy5621
For section B I'm focusing on instrumental because there's fewer to learn in detail and there are many points write about so it's easier. Section A, learn the keywords, like appogiatura and stuff that are linked to that specific piece and you'll be tested on that.nwill need to learn your theory as well, but learn the keywords linked to the piece especially, it will help.

thanks a lot :h:
Reply 16
Original post by misainoue96

I thin you should revise them all equally; even if you know you are going to do instrumental in Section B, if you know all the pieces really well it will also really help you for the section A; i.e. sometimes you may not hear the suspension but if you've revised that there is a suspension in this section you would know the answer still
Reply 17
As I started In January and as I am the only one in the class, to save time we are just focussing on vocals and doing every combination of vocal questions that could come up. Logically, instrumental would make more sense but as I don't feel as confident with either the Mozart or Shostakovich it seems the better choice.
I swear I am feeling like giving up, there is too much to do in so little time and I've been really ill like i couldn't even sit up in bed ill and only today am I feeling a little bit alright. Shall we all just flop the exam so the grade boundaries are lowered. ok ok not a good idea.
Original post by amyjanegard97
I swear I am feeling like giving up, there is too much to do in so little time and I've been really ill like i couldn't even sit up in bed ill and only today am I feeling a little bit alright. Shall we all just flop the exam so the grade boundaries are lowered. ok ok not a good idea.

hope you feel better soon :frown:
I am so freak out too ..:bawling:

I kind of looked through all the past papers from 2009 and I've organised what we really have to remember for section B , (I am focusing on instrumental), there are less we have to really remember,

[10 marks ] -Poulenc's has come out so can get rid of that.
Mozart's
Bach's
Shostakvoich's

[ 18 marks ] all four pieces came out before and are both STRUCTURE&TONALITY
so all I have to know are TEXTURE, HARMONY, MELODY, and RHYTHM&METRE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for section A,

[ INSTRUMENTAL ] - no Mozart's, so

Poulenc's ,
Bach's ,
Shostakovich's

[ VOCAL ] - no Waterloo Sunset and Ohime tanto.., so

The Lamb,
Apres Un Reve,
Tupelo Honey,
Se Quema la chumbamba,

I think just listen through the pieces over again and again, and I believe the examiners tent to maximise your grades, if you remember the location like bar numbers it may increase some points too.

good luck everyone!!
Hope we all do well and we will :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest