The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP! Student finance...

I am so incredibly confused and would really, really appreciate some help or guidance.

I am currently holding a conditional offer for a £9,000 a year 4 year undergraduate degree in England beginning in September 2015.

I am turning 18 in July, I was born in Scotland and lived there for the entire first 16 years of my life however two years ago I moved to The Netherlands where I go to international school. I am very unsure of which student finance to apply to, I live in The Netherlands full time but we rent out our home in Scotland so still pay tax there. To make matters more complicated I am 90% sure I will defer my offer to September 2016 as we will be moving again before the end of the year - almost certainly to a country outwith the UK and EU altogether... Will I be able to get both a tuition loan and a maintenance loan or just a tuition loan, and if so how?

Thank you so much in advance!
Reply 1
Unfortunately, there's no definitive answer. With your background, it's going to be a matter of whether Student Finance thinks you have maintained the UK as your "ordinary residence" for three full years before your course starts. The fact that your family owns a home in Scotland and pays tax there is a plus. However, the fact that they rent the property out might be viewed as meaning that neither they - nor you - can be classed as ordinarily resident.

There is no single or legal definition of "ordinary residence", so it really is up to SF.

Do beware that if they view you as not having been ordinarily resident in the UK, a move outside the EU would mean that you were classed as an International student. This in turn would mean that you had no entitlement to SF at all and were subject to very high uni fees. You might want to consider not following your family, and at least maintain a permanent base in the Netherlands.

If SF classes you as ordinarily resident in the UK, then you will be assessed for the full SF package for Scottish students. If they decide that you are an EU student, then you will only get the Tuition Fee Loan and no help with living costs. If you are an International student, you will get no SF at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending