The Student Room Group

AQA Government and Politics, Unit 01 - People, Politics and Participation - June 1st

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _moriartea
do people have any really easy to remember examples? anything for any unit 1 topic except pressure groups? I have some but I can't always remember them all!! Does anyone have any good ways of remembering some of these examples? :flower2:

Write essays using the spec or a past paper. It'll help
guys help here ,... how do pressure groups undermine democracy .. or pose a threat???:s-smilie:
thank youu
Reply 82
Heelp please?
'Explain why the FPTP system has rarely resulted in coalition government in westminister?'
Reply 83
Original post by sidrah97
guys help here ,... how do pressure groups undermine democracy .. or pose a threat???:s-smilie:
thank youu

You could say that pressure groups undermine democracy as:

1)They can slow down the political system/ process by preventing the government from essentially performing their role shown by Hurd calling them 'Strangling serpents'.
2) They can cause unrest in areas such as education or industry for example strikes which can cause havoc for not only the government but also for the public.
3) Criminal behaviour breaks the law for example Save The Newchurch Guinea Pigs as they exhumed a body in protest.
4) Despite pressure groups providing another avenue for representation, some will be better representatives than others as of the resources they have for example money and membership. This means it is not a level playing field for groups which could be argued to be undemocratic.

I'm sure there are more reasons but that is all I can think of at the moment :smile:

Hope this helped :smile:
does anyone have a list of theorists quotes for voting behavior and electoral systems
Original post by _sara
Heelp please?
'Explain why the FPTP system has rarely resulted in coalition government in westminister?'

Winners bonus - FPTP tends to exaggerate the party with the mosts seats which can create landslides as seen in 2001.
People are more likely to vote for labour or cons because of their strong standings within the party system. Those who support smaller parties may have acknowledged that their vote will not count (in most cases) and therefore will choose a more mainstream party to vote for.

Hope this helped, there's plenty of other points you could say as well :smile:
Original post by Vraj Patel
does anyone have a list of theorists quotes for voting behavior and electoral systems

Pulzer 'class is the basis of british party politics'
n Elections are …“the cogs which keepthe wheels of democracy turning” (D.Farrell)
Original post by Granty18
You could say that pressure groups undermine democracy as:

1)They can slow down the political system/ process by preventing the government from essentially performing their role shown by Hurd calling them 'Strangling serpents'.
2) They can cause unrest in areas such as education or industry for example strikes which can cause havoc for not only the government but also for the public.
3) Criminal behaviour breaks the law for example Save The Newchurch Guinea Pigs as they exhumed a body in protest.
4) Despite pressure groups providing another avenue for representation, some will be better representatives than others as of the resources they have for example money and membership. This means it is not a level playing field for groups which could be argued to be undemocratic.

I'm sure there are more reasons but that is all I can think of at the moment :smile:

Hope this helped :smile:

thank you so much .. this helps alott :h::h:
Reply 88
Original post by Hassanthebawse
Winners bonus - FPTP tends to exaggerate the party with the mosts seats which can create landslides as seen in 2001.
People are more likely to vote for labour or cons because of their strong standings within the party system. Those who support smaller parties may have acknowledged that their vote will not count (in most cases) and therefore will choose a more mainstream party to vote for.

Hope this helped, there's plenty of other points you could say as well :smile:

thank you!!
Reply 89
Original post by Vraj Patel
what do you think will come up on the voting behavior and electoral system side?

They can ask for and against FPTP which would be a wonderful question. They can ask a question in general which voting system works best which means for and against every single voting system-can just pick a few that you have lots to write about. Voting behaviour I don't really remember but they can ask why turnout is so low? not sure but look at the past papers available. :smile:
So, what's everyone's dream questions for tomorrow? I'm gunning for a question about the election, or something broad about voting trends.
Original post by arfah
They can ask for and against FPTP which would be a wonderful question. They can ask a question in general which voting system works best which means for and against every single voting system-can just pick a few that you have lots to write about. Voting behaviour I don't really remember but they can ask why turnout is so low? not sure but look at the past papers available. :smile:

With voting behaviour it could be very open question eg Long term vs short term factors, it could be closed as they've done in some of the previous papers where they compare one or two short term factors with one or two long term factors. Also, they could ask you to discuss which short term or which long term factor is significant. Look at the specification, it'll give you an indication of what the questions could be based around
Original post by lappy482
So, what's everyone's dream questions for tomorrow? I'm gunning for a question about the election, or something broad about voting trends.

im hoping that the part question is like how has any of the parties abandoned their traditional roots ... and for pressure groups something about their power
Original post by sidrah97
im hoping that the part question is like how has any of the parties abandoned their traditional roots ... and for pressure groups something about their power

how would you answer a question on parties abandoning their traditional roots?
Reply 94
Original post by Hassanthebawse
With voting behaviour it could be very open question eg Long term vs short term factors, it could be closed as they've done in some of the previous papers where they compare one or two short term factors with one or two long term factors. Also, they could ask you to discuss which short term or which long term factor is significant. Look at the specification, it'll give you an indication of what the questions could be based around

I did this exam last year:tongue:
How likely is it that the constitution will come up
Original post by _moriartea
For unit 1 I find electoral systems easiest (and this election has provided a lot of good material), then probably political parties (especially if the focus is around internal Labour party workngs because i know an awful lot more about it!) - but i love voting behaviour too, so it will depend on the questions!
For unit 2 Parliament is my favourite by a long way(I would kill for a question on representation of social groups within the chamber!), and then I'll probably do Core exec :flower2:

How likely is it that the constitution will come up..
Original post by queenaabb
how would you answer a question on parties abandoning their traditional roots?

you talk about the changes .. like traditional labour are very pro EU but blairs labours wasnt , as he limited the role of EU because he believed that it was important to protect peoples rights.

also for conservatives traditional conservatives believe in 1 nation torrism but thatchers government believed in individualism ,, also to some extent cameron believes that ,but you can argue that in his 2010 manifest he came up with the idea of big society- which is abit like 1 nation torrism.. however he hasnt made any changes or plans to implement that policy.

hope this helps
Original post by Revision12
How likely is it that the constitution will come up

In unit 1? I'd hope not very...haha
haha.

Good luck everyone
Ah I'm going to die, good luck everyone! I don't think I will make it out alive, the end is near...:redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending