The Student Room Group

How rare is it to get 4 A's as AS level?

Is getting 4 A's seen as something difficult which is a great achievement or is it a result which quite a lot of people get?
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

last year at my school 4 people got it, so I guess it depends on the subjects they do.

Imo its a great achievement.
It's both in my opinion - it is a very good achievement and definitely worth the challenge since it can be an important factor in getting someone into a better university. Despite that, it's definitely not uncommon and many people who find 4 subjects they like will get 4 As.
I know a quite a few people that have done it, but it is very hard work.
The thing is, everyone gets lazy when they start college, they love the new found freedom and teachers not caring if they spend 2 hours a day revising from day one. That's why most people don't get 4 A's. If everyone studied for 30 minutes or 1 hour a day, i'd say like 20% would get 4 A's.
Original post by DRR Lumberjack
The thing is, everyone gets lazy when they start college, they love the new found freedom and teachers not caring if they spend 2 hours a day revising from day one. That's why most people don't get 4 A's. If everyone studied for 30 minutes or 1 hour a day, i'd say like 20% would get 4 A's.

Ha. Doubt it.
Original post by simbasdragon
is getting 4 a's seen as something difficult which is a great achievement or is it a result which quite a lot of people get?
Thanks.

it's not rare in many grammar schools.. But in some non grammar schools a's are very rare
Original post by Adeel Ali
Ha. Doubt it.

I was just spitting out spur of the moment numbers, could be completely wrong.
Original post by DRR Lumberjack
I was just spitting out spur of the moment numbers, could be completely wrong.

You are. If it was that easy, lot's of people would be getting them.
Original post by simbasdragon
Is getting 4 A's seen as something difficult which is a great achievement or is it a result which quite a lot of people get?
Thanks.

Entirely dependent on the school. At my school almost everyone achieves that, at other schools 4B's may be revered as amazing. It is all dependent on the situation. Considering Cambridge for example wont even give you an interview if you average under 92 UMS (they say 90 but in reality its higher) you need to go beyond just 4A's for Cambridge (this does not apply to any other unis apart from maybe UCL but to a lesser degree). So again, it is all dependent, in regards to the national cohort it is a great achievement but in regards to the top universities it is expected of you.
Reply 10
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Entirely dependent on the school. At my school almost everyone achieves that, at other schools 4B's may be revered as amazing. It is all dependent on the situation. Considering Cambridge for example wont even give you an interview if you average under 92 UMS (they say 90 but in reality its higher) you need to go beyond just 4A's for Cambridge (this does not apply to any other unis apart from maybe UCL but to a lesser degree). So again, it is all dependent, in regards to the national cohort it is a great achievement but in regards to the top universities it is expected of you.

UCL check UMS????!!??!
Original post by j5994
UCL check UMS????!!??!

Yes
Considering Cambridge for example wont even give you an interview if you average under 92 UMS (they say 90 but in reality its higher) you need to go beyond just 4A's for Cambridge

Sorry this is absolute BS, many people get offers with 85% UMS
Reply 13
Original post by Gaiaphage
Yes

to what extent, say for medicine if you got borderline A's, but A's nonetheless is that not good enough?
My cousin got 5As and then a B but that was only general studies at AS
Original post by Gaiaphage
Sorry this is absolute BS, many people get offers with 85% UMS

Not really, they care a lot about UMS, they average the ums in your best 3 AS levels. If that is 85 UMS average over their best 3 A levels then they either have some outstanding references and other amazing EC's or come from a very impoverished background.
my sister had 3 a* not 4 but im still proud of her :smile::biggrin:
My parents think 4B's is amazing. I'm only aiming for AABB, as next year, my course only requires AAB.
Original post by j5994
to what extent, say for medicine if you got borderline A's, but A's nonetheless is that not good enough?

You'd need a fairly decent BMAT but it's definitely possible
Not really, they care a lot about UMS, they average the ums in your best 3 AS levels. If that is 85 UMS average over their best 3 A levels then they either have some outstanding references and other amazing EC's or come from a very impoverished background.

There are lots of myths about Cambridge admissions but the vast majority aren't true... At the open days they regularly say you will have a chance as long as you get 80%+ average (ie. 4 As at AS) but to be in with a real chance you need 85+. A good interview and admissions test will easily make up for them despite having no extenuating circumstances (speaking from experience)

Quick Reply

Latest