The Student Room Group

too scared to do an access course

Hello

That might be a silly question but I have to ask.
Well, I am doing IGCSEs as a private candidate this year. I have been living in the UK for nearly 3 years.
I've been thinking of sitting A-levels or Pre-Us as a private candidate but I know that doing an Access course would be much better and (maybe) cheaper. The thing is that I'm completely frightened to study in a group of people. I am ashamed of speaking English and I'm afraid that they will laugh at me. Everytime I think about it, I cry haha :biggrin:
Have you ever been in such a stupid situation like that? What did you do? Any advice?
Thank you :smile:
When I did my access course, about a third of people on the course were non-native English speakers. Nobody will laugh at you if your English isn't perfect, and it is the perfect opportunity to improve. Think of it as a practice-run for university. You will have the chance to find out if you can cope in that kind of environment without the big financial commitment.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
When I did my access course, about a third of people on the course were non-native English speakers. Nobody will laugh at you if your English isn't perfect, and it is the perfect opportunity to improve. Think of it as a practice-run for university. You will have the chance to find out if you can cope in that kind of environment without the big financial commitment.

Thank you for your reply.
I know you're right. I just can't think about my fears and try. Life is sooo hard haha :biggrin:
Reply 3
I'm just coming to the end of my access course and I had 3 non-native English speakers in my class and I had a lot of respect for them and I know others in my class did too! It is a real achievement, I know its something I could never do in a foreign language. Go for it - Don't let your fears hold you back! :smile:
Original post by nlsmith
I'm just coming to the end of my access course and I had 3 non-native English speakers in my class and I had a lot of respect for them and I know others in my class did too! It is a real achievement, I know its something I could never do in a foreign language. Go for it - Don't let your fears hold you back! :smile:

Well, that sounds cool :biggrin: Did they have many problems with the language during the course?
Reply 5
Not really, occasionally with some words but it wasn't a problem at all and I think you'll find people will be more helpful than you think :smile: Also you might find there will be support available, such as help with looking over essays making sure the spelling/grammar is correct and things like that. So if that is a concern you should ask about what support is available for where you are looking to apply - good luck!
Are you also worried about not being able to write well on the course? You can access academic support from study skills departments at most FE colleges.

I wouldn't worry at all if your only fear is not being able to pronounce certain words correctly.

There have been a good few native English speakers on my course who'd never heard of plenty of more ‘academic’ words (and theories) and consequently mispronounced those words quite often. Also, I really think most people are more than willing to help if you ask them.

I guess you just have to decide whether you're going to let fear hold you back from pursuing something you're interested in.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by CarolineAntonina
Hello

That might be a silly question but I have to ask.
Well, I am doing IGCSEs as a private candidate this year. I have been living in the UK for nearly 3 years.
I've been thinking of sitting A-levels or Pre-Us as a private candidate but I know that doing an Access course would be much better and (maybe) cheaper. The thing is that I'm completely frightened to study in a group of people. I am ashamed of speaking English and I'm afraid that they will laugh at me. Everytime I think about it, I cry haha :biggrin:
Have you ever been in such a stupid situation like that? What did you do? Any advice?
Thank you :smile:

Everybody will be feeling the same way as you about a certain aspect of themselves so you arent alone in this. Yes support will be available so please just embrace this as a natural querk to your personality and hey at least you will make an impact! Even better if you like some on my current course bring in some snacks and cakes from your culture to share with everyone! Exploring new worlds is wonderful.
Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate your help. I hope it will help me to fight my shyness and fears one day.
I am doing my Access Diploma through distancelearningcentre.com and therefore don't have to speak to my fellow students only my tutor who I speak to via Skype, on the phone and by e-mail. Perhaps you should have a go at doing Access this way if you find it hard to be part of a group. However, on the other hand you will be in the same position when you go to university you will have to be part of a group so it may be better going to college and biting the bullet now, so you are ready for it now rather than putting everything off until later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending