The Student Room Group

Big Four questions

Hi, I've now finished my degree and am shifting my focus to the job I'm starting in September at a Big Four firm (assuming I get a 2:1 which is very likely). I was wondering:

1. Should I do some preparatory studying this summer before I start? My 'buddy' told me not to, but I'm not sure whether to listen to him.

2. Is there a busy season in Public Sector Audit? Or is it just in private sector? (I know that during TC public sector auditors will do some private as well as public)

3. Can I date someone / get married during training contract? Or will I not have the time?

4. What % of people really get kicked out due to exam failure typically at Big Four firms? I have heard massively different things about this from reliable sources, so I'm not sure what to believe.

5. Apparently playing tennis is a big thing in the business world? I have not played tennis in years and was not very good at it when I did. Also, I have never learnt to properly play golf which I know is also a prominent pastime. Will these things be a problem? Should I at least get some golf lessons during the summer?
You need to chill a little. Enjoy your last summer of freedom!

To answer:

1. Only do it if you want to, most incoming new grads probably won't have done anything.

2. I don't know, sorry!

3. Yes, you can bloody date! You won't be at work 24/7!

4. Do you best, pass your exams and you'll be fine!

5. Man, chill out! Golf lessons? You're going to become an audit, not an athlete.

Seriously, my advice, you'll be fine! You're clearly a worrier, you don't need to. You got the job, so they think you can do it. Worry about what comes next when you start, I doubt you'll be playing golf with clients for at least a few weeks! :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Super Cicero
Hi, I've now finished my degree and am shifting my focus to the job I'm starting in September at a Big Four firm (assuming I get a 2:1 which is very likely). I was wondering:

1. Should I do some preparatory studying this summer before I start? My 'buddy' told me not to, but I'm not sure whether to listen to him.

2. Is there a busy season in Public Sector Audit? Or is it just in private sector? (I know that during TC public sector auditors will do some private as well as public)

3. Can I date someone / get married during training contract? Or will I not have the time?

4. What % of people really get kicked out due to exam failure typically at Big Four firms? I have heard massively different things about this from reliable sources, so I'm not sure what to believe.

5. Apparently playing tennis is a big thing in the business world? I have not played tennis in years and was not very good at it when I did. Also, I have never learnt to properly play golf which I know is also a prominent pastime. Will these things be a problem? Should I at least get some golf lessons during the summer?

1. Nope, completely unnecessary. You learn everything you need on the spot.

2. I've heard that busy season for them is generally starting in April (to coincide with the tax year). Overall however public sector is relatively relaxed as your client doesn't work long hours so neither will you.

3. Seriously? I really laughed at this question. But to answer it: you can do whatever you want. Although it can vary, the hours really aren't that bad.

4. Depends. KPMG has scrapped the exam failure auto fire policy for example. I'd say perhaps 5%-10% might get the boot. Hard to say, it really is a last resort.

5. Again this question made me burst out in laughter. Seriously? Do whatever sport you enjoy because everyone does different things. I do weightlifting for example and there are quite a few City (Big Four/bankers) workers in my gym who I chat to. Other do triathlons, marathons, football, basketball, cricket, rugby, volleyball, tennis, golf.......whatever.
Original post by TheIrrational
You need to chill a little. Enjoy your last summer of freedom!

To answer:

Original post by snakesnake
1. Nope, completely unnecessary. You learn everything you need on the spot.

Hi guys,

Do you work at a Big 4 firm? I have a rather urgent question (nothing big but I need to make a decision) but I would prefer to PM it if you guys work in a Big 4 and could perhaps answer it. This is not a typical question so I can't find any answers on the internet.
Original post by PopABottle
Hi guys,

Do you work at a Big 4 firm? I have a rather urgent question (nothing big but I need to make a decision) but I would prefer to PM it if you guys work in a Big 4 and could perhaps answer it. This is not a typical question so I can't find any answers on the internet.

Yes I do, go ahead.
Reply 5
Original post by Super Cicero

Oh my god, I laughed so much :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending