The Student Room Group

maths uni choice (help needed)

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone can give me some advice.

To give you a quick picture. I went to Loughborough uni in September 2014 and studied Mathematics for 2 weeks until I decided it was too difficult. I then changed to Mathematics and Accounting and Financial Management. But I really struggled with this (I'm dyslexic) and never really caught up from the first two weeks I missed. I stick with the course until March but then just decided I was far too behind. So I withdrew.

I then applied to Nottingham Trent (through UCAS) to study Mathematics and received an unconditional offer for there.

Now my issue is, I have always lived in Nottingham and feel like I've also lived in a bit of a box my whole life. I would really like to go further afield. But I have no idea where. Or if it is even still possible to change??

My A levels are A* in mathematic, B in further mathematics and a B in business studies.

I really want to go to a good uni, but I've always had to be one of these people that have had to work really hard to get results. I don't know if it was the modules at Loughborough or just that I went to a too high uni. So Im very stuck on what uni I should be looking at.

Any suggestions on uni's would be much appreciated

Many thanks in Advance!
Reply 1
So you withdrew from Loughborough because maths was too hard but now you've applied for maths again? Although you did well in your maths a-levels, perhaps maths isn't for you and maybe you should do business management instead and pick mathematic modules. Is it the exams that cause you to fall behind? If so then perhaps pick a uni with more course work modules. You could apply through extra if you haven't already firmed your unconditional offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I found maths too hard because I just don't think I was fully focused or particularly happy at the uni.

I know I can do maths when I fully put my head to it.

I really don't want to do a business subject because I absolutely hated it the first time! I really struggle with the pretending and did very poorly in those modules in both coursework and the exam.

I've already firmed NTU unfortunately.
Reply 3
Original post by firsedge96
I found maths too hard because I just don't think I was fully focused or particularly happy at the uni.

I really don't want to do a business subject because I absolutely hated it the first time! I really struggle with the pretending and did very poorly in those modules in both coursework and the exam.

Oh alright. Well if the uni was the problem and not the subject then perhaps you'll do better this time round. It might be good for you to be closer to home aswell :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I really want to look at going further away from home though. Just don't really know what other unis are out there .
Reply 5
I really want to look at going further away from home though. Just don't really know what other unis are out there .

Well an unconditional offer is harder to get out of than a conditional offer. Perhaps just do some travelling to different cities while your off during terms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't want to go to Nottingham Trent, then you don't have to go.

I'm not sure though if you can apply to a different university for 2015 entry. (I'm going to quote in someone who's an expert on TSR about UCAS)

Hope you don't mind I've quoted you, but you always offer good advice!

Although you're UF with NTU that doesn't mean you have to go there - it just means you need their cooperation to go elsewhere.

As UF and because of the stage we're at in the cycle you would probably best finding a place via Clearing - but that doesn't mean "in a rush all in one day in August".

Clearing opens for applicants holding results on July 6th (although it is possible that some universities will have additional vacancies in August once they know A level results).

Soooooo - start doing some research. If you're interested in Maths then use http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-mathematics and http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/mathematics-degree-courses-united-kingdom/0/m/united+kingdom/united+kingdom/25/0/0/rb./entd/0/1/0/uc/a_level/1a*-0a-2b-0c-0d-0e/page.html to start to narrow down your choices a bit.

Don't rule anywhere out just because you don't know anything about them...pop to your local library or order prospectuses....have a look around their websites and see if you can visit (open days usually kick off in late June/July).

Anywhere that looks like you could be happy and the course seems to suit you - get in touch with them and find out if they are likely to have vacancies and if you'd be considered with your grades. As with all clearing stuff DO NOT STOP AT YOUR FIRST OFFER. Keep calling and researching different universities until you have a shortlist of 2-5 universities that are likely to give you a place that you'd like to go to. Ask about accommodation and any bursaries and scholarships they will have available (and check out the price and types of accommodation on offer).

Once you've got your shortlist get in touch with NTU and explain that your circumstances have changed and that you can no longer stay in Nottingham. Let them know that you'd like to look for a place via Clearing and they'll arrange for you to be straight into Clearing when it goes live in early July. You can visit your shortlisted unis and then pick your favourite - once they approve it via Track then you'll have a new UF place and you're all set (you might need to let SFE know about the change so they can send your load to the right place).
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Although you're UF with NTU that doesn't mean you have to go there - it just means you need their cooperation to go elsewhere.

As UF and because of the stage we're at in the cycle you would probably best finding a place via Clearing - but that doesn't mean "in a rush all in one day in August".

Clearing opens for applicants holding results on July 6th (although it is possible that some universities will have additional vacancies in August once they know A level results).

Soooooo - start doing some research. If you're interested in Maths then use http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-mathematics and http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/mathematics-degree-courses-united-kingdom/0/m/united+kingdom/united+kingdom/25/0/0/rb./entd/0/1/0/uc/a_level/1a*-0a-2b-0c-0d-0e/page.html to start to narrow down your choices a bit.

Don't rule anywhere out just because you don't know anything about them...pop to your local library or order prospectuses....have a look around their websites and see if you can visit (open days usually kick off in late June/July).

Anywhere that looks like you could be happy and the course seems to suit you - get in touch with them and find out if they are likely to have vacancies and if you'd be considered with your grades. As with all clearing stuff DO NOT STOP AT YOUR FIRST OFFER. Keep calling and researching different universities until you have a shortlist of 2-5 universities that are likely to give you a place that you'd like to go to. Ask about accommodation and any bursaries and scholarships they will have available (and check out the price and types of accommodation on offer).

Once you've got your shortlist get in touch with NTU and explain that your circumstances have changed and that you can no longer stay in Nottingham. Let them know that you'd like to look for a place via Clearing and they'll arrange for you to be straight into Clearing when it goes live in early July. You can visit your shortlisted unis and then pick your favourite - once they approve it via Track then you'll have a new UF place and you're all set (you might need to let SFE know about the change so they can send your load to the right place).

Thank you that's really helpful! I spoke to UCAS last night and they have said because NTU was my only choice then I can apply through extra.
Really like the look of university of Leeds; any opinions?

Quick Reply

Latest