The Student Room Group

Wolverhampton Pharmacy 2015

Hello everyone,

I've made this thread to find and meet people who have applied to Wolverhampton, to do pharmacy MPharm this year, ideally so its not so awkward when we start in October and so that a few of us can get to know each other before hand, I myself am from Birmingham anyway so if anyone needs to ask anything about the area, etc, i can help them out. Also if anyone who is doing pharmacy at Wolverhampton this year could let us know what the course is like, e.g. if their are any units/ modules we need to watch out for or if their are any teachers we need to watch out for :P it would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Reply 1
I've accepted the offer to study this year also and shall be moving to Wolves at the start of October. Will you be working part time during the course?
Original post by Tatt1
I've accepted the offer to study this year also and shall be moving to Wolves at the start of October. Will you be working part time during the course?
Hi "Tatt1" im Gurmit, where about are you from mate? and yeah ill just carry on with my part time job which i have at the moment.
Reply 3
Original post by GurmitJanagil
Hi "Tatt1" im Gurmit, where about are you from mate? and yeah ill just carry on with my part time job which i have at the moment.

Currently live in Glasgow so im moving into the student halls. Will hopefully get a job transfer with Boots to Wolverhampton or Birmingham or else I will be total skint lol. What made you choose pharmacy?
Original post by Tatt1
Currently live in Glasgow so im moving into the student halls. Will hopefully get a job transfer with Boots to Wolverhampton or Birmingham or else I will be total skint lol. What made you choose pharmacy?
So your coming from quite a distance then yeah, n most likely Wolverhampton in regards to a transfer, in Birmingham boots is very saturated, n saying that, when the student loan drops money wont be a problem :P. N ive wanted to do it since school days, but i started ChemEng n i dont like it to be honest so Mpharm it is!
Reply 5
Yeah its very exciting. Will be a considerable workload but shall be worth it in the end. Im also excited about being within an hours drive to Alton Towers haha.
Original post by GurmitJanagil
Hello everyone,

I've made this thread to find and meet people who have applied to Wolverhampton, to do pharmacy MPharm this year, ideally so its not so awkward when we start in October and so that a few of us can get to know each other before hand, I myself am from Birmingham anyway so if anyone needs to ask anything about the area, etc, i can help them out. Also if anyone who is doing pharmacy at Wolverhampton this year could let us know what the course is like, e.g. if their are any units/ modules we need to watch out for or if their are any teachers we need to watch out for :P it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hey I'm in my first year of A-levels and I'm a little panicked to say the least. I'm floating between 3 different possible job occupations: chemical engineering (most desired), HR and finally pharmacy (ideally what my parents want me to become). I did ring Wolverhampton Uni regarding pharmacy but I had to leave a voicemail since they were closed. I just wanted to know what is the difference between MPharm and BA(hons), if I were to apply for a pharmaceutical job is MPharm the degree that they are after?
Original post by Tatt1
Yeah its very exciting. Will be a considerable workload but shall be worth it in the end. Im also excited about being within an hours drive to Alton Towers haha.
Hopefully it is mate, and drayton manor is only down the road from wolverhampton, so is dudley zoo lol
Original post by kandykissesxox
Hey I'm in my first year of A-levels and I'm a little panicked to say the least. I'm floating between 3 different possible job occupations: chemical engineering (most desired), HR and finally pharmacy (ideally what my parents want me to become). I did ring Wolverhampton Uni regarding pharmacy but I had to leave a voicemail since they were closed. I just wanted to know what is the difference between MPharm and BA(hons), if I were to apply for a pharmaceutical job is MPharm the degree that they are after?

Hi,
in your situation i wouldn't panic just yet, you've got a lot of time to think about what you want to do yet. Now in regards to your first question i can answer two parts as HR i don't have much experience with. Chemical engineering in relation to pharmacy is much broader in terms of its application and the jobs available, with pharmacy your mainly working in a hospital or community pharmacy like lloyds, i mean they do say some people work in research but that's a small percentage. Instead of a lab you'l be working in a store environment. If you basically want to organise and sort out peoples medicine pharmacy is for you, if your the type of person that wants to work in a shop and interact with customers etc then pharmacy will suit you.

The thing with chemical engineering is that, their is a lot more jobs available because it is such a broad subject. Your not just limited like with pharmacy, with chem eng you can work in food, pharmaceuticals, oil and gas etc. The only thing with chemical engineering is that firstly, its a much harder course in comparison to pharmacy, and although its called chemical engineering, it has a lot of maths and only covers a few aspects of chemistry such as analytic techniques and thermodynamics etc. This came as a big shock to a lot of my friends who must have misunderstood the word engineering which is attached to the name lo .and thought it would be mainly chem. With chem Eng the higher paying jobs are no where near birmingham, and you have to go far or even international to get these good paying jobs, so theirs a lot of work and a lot of job prospects but you might have to travel.

Pharmacy is getting competitive as well but that's inevitable, Birmingham is a densely populated area and with so many pharmacy schools open theirs going to be competition, but don't let that put you off pharmacy, with any job you might have to go far to work.

For example ive got 2 cousins, ones a pharmacist and ones a chemical engineer. The pharmacist locums (agency work) with pharmacies around Birmingham and surrounding areas but has to go as far as Nottingham sometimes he earns an average of about £36,000 a year, but then my other cousin whose a chemical engineer works for eni, an oil company, he works on an oil rig in kazakstan (pardon any borat jokes :P) and as i said with chemical engineering you might have to got far but he makes about £65,000 a year.

Long story short, if you want to work relatively local pharmacy better, if you want to see the world or work far chem Eng is better.

Now with your next question, Mpharm is a masters in pharmacy and it is required to become a pharmacist, with a bacheloers you have an undergraduate degree but you need atleast a masters and the Pre reg (training year) to actually become a full pharmacist. Before, and im talking years ago, you could do a bachelors (lower degree) and do a pre reg and become a pharmacist, but now they've made it mandatory that you do a masters (higher degree) and then do a pre-reg (training year) in order to become a pharmacist.

Now if you want to work in a customer/ patient based environment dealing with medicines then pharmacy is for you. If you want to go into designing the actual pharmaceuticals or work in a lab then a pharmacueutical degree would suit you. And if you want to design the process in which these pharmaceuticals are made or you want to work on an oil rig lol then ChemEng is for you.

My advice is, your only in AS yet, you've got a year to make your mind up of what you want to do. Do some work experience, talk to a few pharmacists, chemical engineers, people in HR, even someone in a completely different job. I mean you never know you could see something a month before results day and want to do that. I know people who wanted to do medicine since secondary school and ended up going into finance,and lol dont do something just because your parents want you to do it, find something you like that has a good future outlook in terms of the course and job prospects and just do it. i mean well, your futures up to you really, just make it count.

I hope that helped

- Gurmit :smile:
[QUOTE=GurmitJanagil;56312895]Hi,
in your situation i wouldn't panic just yet, you've got a lot of time to think about what you want to do yet. Now in regards to your first question i can answer two parts as HR i don't have much experience with. Chemical engineering in relation to pharmacy is much broader in terms of its application and the jobs available, with pharmacy your mainly working in a hospital or community pharmacy like lloyds, i mean they do say some people work in research but that's a small percentage. Instead of a lab you'l be working in a store environment. If you basically want to organise and sort out peoples medicine pharmacy is for you, if your the type of person that wants to work in a shop and interact with customers etc then pharmacy will suit you.

The thing with chemical engineering is that, their is a lot more jobs available because it is such a broad subject. Your not just limited like with pharmacy, with chem eng you can work in food, pharmaceuticals, oil and gas etc. The only thing with chemical engineering is that firstly, its a much harder course in comparison to pharmacy, and although its called chemical engineering, it has a lot of maths and only covers a few aspects of chemistry such as analytic techniques and thermodynamics etc. This came as a big shock to a lot of my friends who must have misunderstood the word engineering which is attached to the name lo .and thought it would be mainly chem. With chem Eng the higher paying jobs are no where near birmingham, and you have to go far or even international to get these good paying jobs, so theirs a lot of work and a lot of job prospects but you might have to travel.

Pharmacy is getting competitive as well but that's inevitable, Birmingham is a densely populated area and with so many pharmacy schools open theirs going to be competition, but don't let that put you off pharmacy, with any job you might have to go far to work.

For example ive got 2 cousins, ones a pharmacist and ones a chemical engineer. The pharmacist locums (agency work) with pharmacies around Birmingham and surrounding areas but has to go as far as Nottingham sometimes he earns an average of about £36,000 a year, but then my other cousin whose a chemical engineer works for eni, an oil company, he works on an oil rig in kazakstan (pardon any borat jokes :P) and as i said with chemical engineering you might have to got far but he makes about £65,000 a year.

Long story short, if you want to work relatively local pharmacy better, if you want to see the world or work far chem Eng is better.

Now with your next question, Mpharm is a masters in pharmacy and it is required to become a pharmacist, with a bacheloers you have an undergraduate degree but you need atleast a masters and the Pre reg (training year) to actually become a full pharmacist. Before, and im talking years ago, you could do a bachelors (lower degree) and do a pre reg and become a pharmacist, but now they've made it mandatory that you do a masters (higher degree) and then do a pre-reg (training year) in order to become a pharmacist.

Now if you want to work in a customer/ patient based environment dealing with medicines then pharmacy is for you. If you want to go into designing the actual pharmaceuticals or work in a lab then a pharmacueutical degree would suit you. And if you want to design the process in which these pharmaceuticals are made or you want to work on an oil rig lol then ChemEng is for you.

My advice is, your only in AS yet, you've got a year to make your mind up of what you want to do. Do some work experience, talk to a few pharmacists, chemical engineers, people in HR, even someone in a completely different job. I mean you never know you could see something a month before results day and want to do that. I know people who wanted to do medicine since secondary school and ended up going into finance,and lol dont do something just because your parents want you to do it, find something you like that has a good future outlook in terms of the course and job prospects and just do it. i mean well, your futures up to you really, just make it count.

I hope that helped

- Gurmit :smile:

Thank you so much for explaining, this was really helpful to read. (borat😂😂😂) Anyway, I have done work experience at my local pharmacy and I enjoyed it actually because it was really interactive and I tried out dispensing (popped a few old people pills behind the counter). I don't really think I want to do Chem eng as much now that I realise just how far I would have to travel, I think HR /pharmacy may possibly be a good option for me. Just as long as you have a masters in pharmacy do your a level grades really matter when applying for the job?
Hi, I'm currently in AS level of college however, I've been wanting to do pharmacy at Wolverhampton for a really long time now, I know that that's what I want to do when I leave college but I'm slightly worried that I won't be good enough to get into the course. I'm doing a BTEC diploma in applied science and I am currently getting distinctions in all the assignments (website says I need to get DM at the end of two years which is achievable, pretty sure I'm going to do better than that) I am also doing AS-level English language (which isn't really relevant) and AS-level mathematics, I really thought that I would get a B in maths by the end of this academic year however I feel like I really messed up on one of the exams (the website said I need at least a B at the end of the A level), I know that I still have a year and a bit to go but I need to start to apply to unis in a few months and I'm freaking out, Is it really difficult to get in to Wolverhampton? Do you need to get the exact grades? What happens if you don't meet the criteria?? Thanks in advance ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Olivia98hey
Hi, I'm currently in AS level of college however, I've been wanting to do pharmacy at Wolverhampton for a really long time now, I know that that's what I want to do when I leave college but I'm slightly worried that I won't be good enough to get into the course. I'm doing a BTEC diploma in applied science and I am currently getting distinctions in all the assignments (website says I need to get DM at the end of two years which is achievable, pretty sure I'm going to do better than that) I am also doing AS-level English language (which isn't really relevant) and AS-level mathematics, I really thought that I would get a B in maths by the end of this academic year however I feel like I really messed up on one of the exams (the website said I need at least a B at the end of the A level), I know that I still have a year and a bit to go but I need to start to apply to unis in a few months and I'm freaking out, Is it really difficult to get in to Wolverhampton? Do you need to get the exact grades? What happens if you don't meet the criteria?? Thanks in advance ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should be OK. I think they accepted 260 UCAS points last year.
Oh gosh, that's good news, I hope they keep it that low for the people applying later on this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the GCSE certificates are fine that's like the most sufficient evidence that we've got of our GCSE grades but I'd call up the uni just to be on the safe side though 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
My names Gurmit, i started the thread, i got the exact same email, what i did was email them photocopies of my GCSE certificates, thats the only thing you can do really, have you had your DBS letter come through?
Reply 15
Do u guys think they'll let me in if I get something like BBC with the C in chemistry? I've put them as insurance. Just concerned about chemistry this year
Hi gurmit, will be starting pharmacy this year at wolves. Any advice on preparing for the course during these summer hols? Or any advice on the course at all would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 17
Yes Gambo, how are the cells treating you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending