The Student Room Group

Persuasive writing formally

I know how to write a persuasive letter informally but how can i write a proffessional and formal persuasive letter with DAFOREST? please help
Reply 1
Original post by Alibeatz
I know how to write a persuasive letter informally but how can i write a proffessional and formal persuasive letter with DAFOREST? please help

You have always got to start with planning before you start writing:
F: form of text e.g letter text for leaflet, articles for magazine
L: language techniques e.g. Daforest, second person pronoun, explain reasons, metaphors
A: audience e.g. General public, headteacher, parents, teenagers
P: purpose e.g. Persuade, argue, explain, describe

Once you have done this quickly do a mind map of possible points you could include in your answer.
It would've helped if you told me what your task is but since I don't know I'm doing formal writing in general.

Writing a persuasive formal letter is easy. You need to make sure you do the following:
Write in standard English
Include your address on the top right hand side and the adress of the person you are writing to on the left top corner one or two centimetres below your
Don't include slang or colloquial language
Directly adress the reader e.g. How would you feel.... Let's all work together to solve this problem
Use a range of punctuation and sentence forms e.g. Short sentences for effect- this will gain you the higher marks
Different structure ideas e.g. Discourse markers to organise your writing
Include conclusion/ final sentence e.g. I am sure you will agree with me... Thank you for taking your time to read this
Make sure your letter is convincing
If you don't know the person you are writing to personally then end with yours sincerely/ faithfully.

This is coming from a year 11 student so I'm not professional so I hope what I wrote is somewhat helpful and useful to you and good luck on your english exam.:smile:
Reply 2
Thank you, this information was really useful
Reply 3
Original post by Alibeatz
Thank you, this information was really useful

You're most welcome! I'm glad to have helped :u:
Reply 4
Original post by Minty16
You're most welcome! I'm glad to have helped :u:

Can you please help me with presentation devices and how to compare them. I don't get them at all! I understand its about pictures fonts colours and not texts. Please help me understand presentational devices and how they engage the reader.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending