The Student Room Group

AS Module Resits Next Year and Uni Applications??

Hey guys,

Having done 4 of my exams already, I'm not confident at all on my chances of getting As this year (based off of unofficial mark schemes and deliberation between others)

I plan on resitting the modules in which I get Bs, next year. However, what does this mean for the university application process?

1) If I don't get the right AS grades, do I still have to apply this year, or can I choose to apply in year 13 instead?

2) If I wait until results day next year to apply to uni (after A2s and AS resits), do I have to take a gap year and wait for the next academic year to hear a reply from unis, or can I go to uni immediately after receiving my A2/AS resits? I assume it'd have to be the former option?

Thanks a lot!
You apply in year 13 anyway. It's between something like September and March when you can send off your application.
Reply 2
Original post by Smug Life
You apply in year 13 anyway. It's between something like September and March when you can send off your application.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in what I meant. Because I want to resit my AS modules, the AS results I'll get this result's day (beginning of year 13) aren't the grades that I want to apply to university with.

Thus, if I were to resit my AS modules whilst doing A2 (year 13), and receive the new AS grades next result's day (not this years'), then would I have to take a gap year after applying after next year's result's day? Can I even do this?

Thanks for your assistance!
Original post by Alzimondo
Sorry if I wasn't clear in what I meant. Because I want to resit my AS modules, the AS results I'll get this result's day (beginning of year 13) aren't the grades that I want to apply to university with.

Thus, if I were to resit my AS modules whilst doing A2 (year 13), and receive the new AS grades next result's day (not this years':wink:, then would I have to take a gap year after applying after next year's result's day? Can I even do this?

Most uni's will still give you an offer if you got slightly lower at AS. If you do better than your offers after retaking AS units you can go through adjustment, or take a year out and reapply.
Reply 4
Original post by Smug Life
Most uni's will still give you an offer if you got slightly lower at AS. If you do better than your offers after retaking AS units you can go through adjustment, or take a year out and reapply.

What does going through adjustment mean?

If I were to apply for medicine this year after getting BBBB at AS for example, and as a result didn't get any offers from any med school, what would I do? If I were to resit AS modules, then get AAAA in my AS resits, and as a result A*AA in my A2 results, what would my position be? Would I have to take a gap year out and reapply, or undergo 'adjustments' in the same year?

Thanks again for your assistance

Thus, if I were to resit my AS modules whilst doing A2 (year 13), and receive the new AS grades next result's day (not this years':wink:, then would I have to take a gap year after applying after next year's result's day? Can I even do this?

Whenever you apply the AS results you get in August will likely be certified - you'll therefore have to declare them on your application.

The only difference with resits is that you either put them down again with a "pending" grade (if your exam centre count the resits towards a new AS as well as a new A level grade) or you make it clear in your pending A level results that you'll be resitting the AS modules again (if like many exam centres your resits will only count towards your A level grade and they wont recertify the AS).

have a read of http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719 and http://ucasonline.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/AS%20Levels

If I were to apply for medicine this year after getting BBBB at AS for example, and as a result didn't get any offers from any med school, what would I do? If I were to resit AS modules, then get AAAA in my AS resits, and as a result A*AA in my A2 results, what would my position be? Would I have to take a gap year out and reapply, or undergo 'adjustments' in the same year?

For medicine there are unlikely to be vacancies via adjustment - if you exceed your predictions/improve on your AS grades significantly then yes you would need to take a year our and reapply.

If you don't get any offers then there are a number of back up methods to get a place at university (extra runs up until the end of June, Clearing and Adjustment run up until the end of September) - these aren't used for medicine.
(edited 8 years ago)

You would be lucky to get any medicine offers. Some med schools also don't accept retakes. Adjustment doesn't have medicine AFAIK. Take a gap year and reapply to see if any uni's will accept you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Whenever you apply the AS results you get in August will likely be certified - you'll therefore have to declare them on your application.

The only difference with resits is that you either put them down again with a "pending" grade (if your exam centre count the resits towards a new AS as well as a new A level grade) or you make it clear in your pending A level results that you'll be resitting the AS modules again (if like many exam centres your resits will only count towards your A level grade and they wont recertify the AS).

have a read of http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719 and http://ucasonline.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/AS%20Levels

Thanks for the reply,
Do you mind answering another question? Am I able to resit AS modules for subjects that are changing spec this year? The AS exams I've already sat are the last of the current spec, as the spec is changing, however do exam boards print off another paper for next year for the current spec for people resitting? Thanks!
Thanks for the reply,
Do you mind answering another question? Am I able to resit AS modules for subjects that are changing spec this year? The AS exams I've already sat are the last of the current spec, as the spec is changing, however do exam boards print off another paper for next year for the current spec for people resitting? Thanks!

I don't know I'm afraid - I know about UCAS/universities not exam specific stuff.

I'd suggest speaking to your exams officer or asking in the A-levels forum (although everything in there is very exams focused at the moment so you might not get a quick answer).
Thanks for the reply,

There will be an AS legacy paper available, so you can resit AS exams on the current spec next year.
I want to resit one module next year because I know I have done really badly in it. If I apply for a university place, with say the grades ABCC in September, but resit one module and get AABC for AS units, will they accept the new grades and give me a place?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chromesilver7
I want to resit one module next year because I know I have done really badly in it. If I apply for a university place, with say the grades ABCC in September, but resit one module and get AABC for AS units, will they accept the new grades and give me a place?

Read the previous replies on this thread

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending