The Student Room Group

Should Cambridge stop publicly displaying exam results?

"Students at the University of Cambridge have started a petition against the university’s tradition of publicly displaying their end-of-year exam results."

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/may/20/cambridge-students-petition-against-public-exam-results?CMP=fb_gu

Oxford stopped this practice in 2009

Scroll to see replies

No. It's a very long-standing tradition. If you're actually at risk of serious consequences, you can get an exemption. Otherwise, you can suck it up. I hope the University stays the course and actually holds out against the jazz hands brigade for once.
Most universities do this nowadays and even if it's not in peron it's online. If people are concerned about data protection, they could use a new way of displaying them like their candidate numbers for example. However, I think it's a bit silly to stop it if only a small amount of people get pissed off imo
No. Oxford are stupid for stopping it.

I would have loved to have my name displayed under the Class I heading for everyone to see.
On the one hand I don't really see the point of the public display, apart from tradition for traditions' sake.

On the other hand I do wonder how those who can't cope with their performance being displayed publically plan to cope with life and its rather more punishing vagaries after graduation. I don't think universities should be places that strive to maximise mollycoddling their student's 'feelings', because that doesn't prepare them at all for a transition into a competitive world outside the bubble.
Reply 5
Original post by ClickItBack
On the one hand I don't really see the point of the public display, apart from tradition for traditions' sake.

On the other hand I do wonder how those who can't cope with their performance being displayed publically plan to cope with life and its rather more punishing vagaries after graduation. I don't think universities should be places that strive to maximise mollycoddling their student's 'feelings', because that doesn't prepare them at all for a transition into a competitive world outside the bubble.

Perhaps, but, outside the bubble, companies don't put up a list of their employees annual appraisal results.

My view is an anonymised version (student id) would be better - at least you can see your own result and the overall gathered field.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
No. It's a very long-standing tradition. If you're actually at risk of serious consequences, you can get an exemption. Otherwise, you can suck it up. I hope the University stays the course and actually holds out against the jazz hands brigade for once.

That can be as much an argument for changing something as for keeping it.

In and of itself, 'tradition' is a very weak defence of a practice. If legitimate reasons arise to change it, then the fact it's long-standing is really no answer.
Original post by TurboCretin
That can be as much an argument for changing something as for keeping it.

In and of itself, 'tradition' is a very weak defence of a practice. If legitimate reasons arise to change it, then the fact it's long-standing is really no answer.

I basically disagree. One of the nicest things about Cambridge is its traditions and I for one don't want to see them progressively torn apart except where it is strictly necessary. Here it isn't.
No. It's a very long-standing tradition.

Argument for slavery...this is nothing more than sentimentality. There's nothing rational about wanting to preserve something because it's been preserved by those that have come before.
I basically disagree. One of the nicest things about Cambridge is its traditions and I for one don't want to see them progressively torn apart except where it is strictly necessary. Here it isn't.

Well now you're talking about the substantive issue, and I don't really have a position on that. All that I'm saying is that if some of the 700-odd people who disagree with you can provide a legitimate justification for wanting all posting of results to end, then saying "it's tradition and I like it" doesn't get you far.
Original post by Birkenhead
.this is nothing more than sentimentality.

I personally think the sense of identity that comes with continuity is worth something. I don't see why my positive sentimentality about the tradition is any less valid than the negative sentimentality from the occasional person who gets a bit upset because other people can see their grades.

I generally enjoy your posts, so I hope you'll forgive me for saying that I'm disappointed to see you buying into this leftist pseudo-intellectualism that disregards all matters of tradition, culture, and identity as worthless.
(edited 8 years ago)
I personally think the sense of identity that comes with continuity is worth something. I don't see why my positive sentimentality about the tradition is any less valid than the negative sentimentality from the occasional person who gets a bit upset because other people can see their grades.

I generally enjoy your posts, so I hope you'll forgive me for saying that I'm disappointed to see you buying into this leftist pseudo-intellectualism that disregards all matters of tradition, culture, and identity as worthless.

That is not at all my position. My view is that wanting to preserve something for tradition's sake should only ever be an auxillary reason after the institution/practice's positive impact has been established. I am certainly not party to disregarding tradition, as the first given supporting reason in the description of the Monarchist society I founded makes clear. I am not taking a position on this particular issue because I don't know anything about it, but the point I was making was that wanting to preserve something solely because it is a tradition is brainless sentimentality.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Adipoptosis
No. Oxford are stupid for stopping it.

I would have loved to have my name displayed under the Class I heading for everyone to see.

Ah so you were one of the three under that heading when I went to see my results at London Met.
Original post by jneill
Perhaps, but, outside the bubble, companies don't put up a list of their employees annual appraisal results.

My view is an anonymised version (student id) would be better - at least you can see your own result and the overall gathered field.

I really meant to argue that minimising students' anxieties shouldn't really be what universities are about, but on balance I agree that there's not much benefit or purpose to forcing students to reveal their grades publicly and that Cambridge does rather a fine job in other, more relevant ways of getting students used to being under pressure etc.
Original post by ClickItBack

All three cantabs who happened to be living in my house atm seem to agree with you. They're wondering how those people are coping in supervisions if this kind of display is too hurtful to bear, :tongue:
Original post by Birkenhead
That is not at all my position. My view is that wanting to preserve something for tradition's sake should only ever be an auxillary reason after the institution/practice's positive impact has been established. I am certainly not party to disregarding tradition, as the first given supporting reason in the description of the Monarchist society I founded makes clear. I am not taking a position on this particular issue because I don't know anything about it, but the point I was making was that wanting to preserve something solely because it is a tradition is brainless sentimentality.

But typically tradition is in itself evidence of positive impact. Practices have to be useful in some way to continue to be used, or the people doing it would not waste their time. It seems probable, then, that there is some substantial value to this method just because it is a tradition.
Reply 16
Original post by tomfailinghelp
But typically tradition is in itself evidence of positive impact. Practices have to be useful in some way to continue to be used, or the people doing it would not waste their time. It seems probable, then, that there is some substantial value to this method just because it is a tradition.

And maybe now is the time to change because the substantial value (the practice enables a quick communication of results to all students) has changed (because email/online makes it easier, and keeps results confidential).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
People who think this have come to the wrong university.
Its one of the kindest ways for everybody to find out the results. Nobody who gets a first could ask anybody what they got, for fear of appearing to show off and if it was unexpected everybody will assume that's because they got a third!

So much easier to look up on the board and congratulate where appropriate or be sympathetic and sensitive where not.

Life sometimes has tough or embarrassing moments and is conducted in public. Your colleagues know if you get a promotion and your work is on full display to all your team every day.
Reply 19

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending