Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

St Catherine's College (St Catz) (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyT)
    Talking to some of them is like trying to catch an elephant with a mouse trap.
    Ouch.

Are there lots of internationals in St. Catz?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celeritas)
    Ouch.

Are there lots of internationals in St. Catz?
    there are a few. There's lots of american visiting students.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    there are a few. There's lots of american visiting students.
    I'm freaking out! :eek: Only a few!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celeritas)
    I'm freaking out! :eek: Only a few!
    I'm not sure what exactly you're expecting from your uni experience. Oxford is a uni based in the UK so it will take on many UK students as opposed to foreign students.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh I was expecting ~ 20% of them international. So more than few, lol!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When do we usually get information packs?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mauve)
    When do we usually get information packs?
    UK students usually get theirs around July/August. I don't know about international students.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do any of u know any students doing Arabic at Catz I begin in Oct 2007 and still dont know if I am the only one!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abs)
    Do any of u know any students doing Arabic at Catz I begin in Oct 2007 and still dont know if I am the only one!!
    Wah... I wonder how it'd work out if you were the only one! Is it an undergraduate course or post grad?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abs)
    There's usually only one person in the year that does Arabic. You're just spread out amongst the other colleges.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How does the printing system work?

Do we get so much printing credit per term, can we ask for more?

What about photocopying how much is that?

Merci
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madtaz)
    How does the printing system work?

Do we get so much printing credit per term, can we ask for more?

What about photocopying how much is that?

Merci
    You can print from any of the college computers in the library and in the dedicated computer room. There's a printing terminal in the JCR email room as well. You can print from your own computer to the college printers if you get a some client software.
    I think it costs 4p a page for black and white and 50p for colour. (you have to set the library printer to grayscale or else you get charged for colour printing). These are put on your battels.
    Photocopying is 6p a page whether A4 or A3.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can print from any of the college computers in the library and in the dedicated computer room. There's a printing terminal in the JCR email room as well. You can print from your own computer to the college printers if you get a some client software.
    I think it costs 4p a page for black and white and 50p for colour. (you have to set the library printer to grayscale or else you get charged for colour printing). These are put on your battels.
    Photocopying is 6p a page whether A4 or A3.
    That's a rip off!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can you explain how the battels system works, when do we have to pay it off?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi this is on behalf of a friend who might come to st catharines - is the JCR smoking or non? Or is it like you can smoke in the bar but not in the actual jcr? thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You get batteled twice a term, once just after the beginning of each term and once just before the end of each term. You can pay if off by credit or debit card, cheque or direct debit or you can send it home to your parents for them to send a cheque directly to the college. I think some people get their battels sent straight home to their parents to pay. I'm not sure when you have to pay them off by because I get mine paid by direct debit so the college sets the date as two weeks after I get the invoice.

Re: smoking. The JCR has just voted for the JCR to be a non smoking area. But it'll be non smoking anyway when the new law comes in. You can smoke in your own room though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its and undergrad course. I did meet other orientalists at the interviews but none 4 Arabic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Helloo... back to all the chatting about rooms etc... when do we find out what type of room we'll be getting out of the 4 MikeyT mentioned? Is it on the day we arrive? Sorry if that sounds like a daft question its just that, in other uni's, they obviously know in advance as they've applied for certain halls or what have you...

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cou_rage)
    Helloo... back to all the chatting about rooms etc... when do we find out what type of room we'll be getting out of the 4 MikeyT mentioned? Is it on the day we arrive? Sorry if that sounds like a daft question its just that, in other uni's, they obviously know in advance as they've applied for certain halls or what have you...

You won't know until the day you get here. The rent for each type of room is the same.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What supermarkets are closest to St Catz?

What about sports facilities, are they near to the college and is membership at a reasonable price?

Thanks.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 13, 2014
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.