The Student Room Group

Queen Mary, Kings College, Southampton Or Exeter?

Poll

Best reputation & more prestigious

Hi all,

I have offers from: QM, Kings College, Southampton and Exeter.

Course = Computer Science And Mathematics

Which universities are known for computer science and mathematics?
Also which university is more prestigious and has a better overall reputation?

Thanks
Kings would be more prestigious, but that's really not the only or even primary concern when choosing a uni. It has to be the right fit for you, and it has to feel right. Go to an open day and find out.

I went to QM for Maths and I loved it. It was the right mix of academic and friendly - as opposed to places like Imperial that are 99% academic 1% social or other unis that are 1% academic 99% social. The lecturers are really good, funny, approachable and helpful,a nd actually that's quite rare at university level. Southampton is a great university with the right mix too, though I can't speak for the teaching, I'm sure it's similar. King's a little more academic, and it's central London, so more expensive; socially it's a very different type of person.

Pick a university based on atmosphere and fit for you; don't go on league table ratings, it certainly won't make you happy.
Reply 2
Kings and Exeter
Kings is more prestigious, and as it's in London you can expect everything to be more expensive. Can't speak for the teaching but I hear it's a tough uni, but if that's your thing then go for it.

Exeter is in the middle of nowhere, which would put me off. If you're from Devon or something there are a lot of scholarships available. I've HEARD that it's for the ''Oxbridge rejects'' but how true that is I'm not sure. Good uni though, always towards the top of the tables but not a lot of societies when compared to other unis, but you're right next to a beach so that's something!

My cousin went to Southampton and loved it. I can speak mostly about this uni, as he graduated a few weeks ago. Plenty of approachable tutors, societies and great nightlife- I think the fact he's an average student but got a first speaks for itself! He made plenty of friends and really matured there. Although he didn't need it, support was there from the start. The way he raves about it, I wouldn't be surprised if he went back there to do his masters.

Good luck in whatever you do- remember to find a uni that suits you, though :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by coefficient
Kings would be more prestigious, but that's really not the only or even primary concern when choosing a uni. It has to be the right fit for you, and it has to feel right. Go to an open day and find out.

I went to QM for Maths and I loved it. It was the right mix of academic and friendly - as opposed to places like Imperial that are 99% academic 1% social or other unis that are 1% academic 99% social. The lecturers are really good, funny, approachable and helpful,a nd actually that's quite rare at university level. Southampton is a great university with the right mix too, though I can't speak for the teaching, I'm sure it's similar. King's a little more academic, and it's central London, so more expensive; socially it's a very different type of person.

Pick a university based on atmosphere and fit for you; don't go on league table ratings, it certainly won't make you happy.

agree
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest