The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Robinson College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Where do second and third year students live? Does the college have any other accommodation apart from the halls and Romsey Terrace?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
There's the college building itself, there's some houses on Adams Rd and Sylvester Rd around the back... and there's Romsey Terrace which is the other side of town. Basically they can accomodate everyone in something owned by college.
Reply 22
but u don't want romsey... 30 of the 2nd year have to go there, and it's a loong way
Reply 23
simon whyre u still on here so much?
Rogery
simon whyre u still on here so much?

Highly effective procrastination.
Reply 25
thefish_uk
Highly effective procrastination.

It's all about YouTube and alluc.org.
I'm so happy that I got a decent room for next year. Now all I have to do is make sure I'm still here then.
Reply 26
Hey guys....just saw some sort of accomodation guide in another post for Homerton...any chance there's one for Robinson?

Any help much appreciated
Reply 27
Freshers get randomly allocated a room and then get charged ****ing extortion for it.
Jim Arnold
There's some very brief info in the alternative prospectus (http://www-stud.robinson.cam.ac.uk/rcsa/prospective/alternative%20prospectus.pdf) but Roger pretty much covered it.

You'll get allocated either an ensuite ('standard plus') or bathroom shared between 2 ('standard'). All freshers are accomodated in the main college building. We get charged about £1000 per term for shared rooms, about £1200 (I think) for ensuites. Judging by the previous rent hikes, 2007 admissions will probably be paying £1200/£1500 per term but that's really a guesstimate.

If you can demonstrate geniune hardship I think they'll put you in a cheaper room.

The rooms themselves are okay, you get a bed, desk, drawers, small coffee table, notice board, a couple of lamps, 2 chairs, and a built-in wardrobe. Most rooms also have either balconies (shared between 2) or open directly onto a walkway.

Just for you I've measured my 'standard' room: about 9'6" by 13'6". And a stunning view of the mildly phallic university library.

I have the room above Jim and towards the back of the college... and I have a really nice view of the garden. My room next year: garden facing en-suite. Oh yeah.

The rents are high... their justification is that as well as including KFC they will keep them the same price for all 3 years we are here. Some other colleges are planning on introducing a similar system I think.
Reply 29
The including KFC thing is bad, I think, because it means you can't really negotiate the price of the KFC because you don't know what it is. Some time before I arrived they raised/were planning to raise the KFC by a lot so there was a canteen strike or something like that. You couldn't really do that now.

Roger and Jim forgot to mention that something like 9 fresher rooms share a bathroom between 3 and that one of them is a 'value' room. Wouldn't want anyone to be disappointed by finding they have an extra bathroom buddy. I really liked my value room, though. Mostly because it was dirt cheap.
Supermerp
The including KFC thing is bad, I think, because it means you can't really negotiate the price of the KFC because you don't know what it is. Some time before I arrived they raised/were planning to raise the KFC by a lot so there was a canteen strike or something like that. You couldn't really do that now.

You mean boycott of the canteen? Or are you saying that the canteen workers went on strike because the KFC was going to increase :p:

There's an interesting letter being sent to college by CUSU FAIR and also maybe our JCR asking under the FoIA for details on how they calculated our room rents.
Reply 31
Jim Arnold
There's some very brief info in the alternative prospectus (http://www-stud.robinson.cam.ac.uk/rcsa/prospective/alternative%20prospectus.pdf) but Roger pretty much covered it.

You'll get allocated either an ensuite ('standard plus') or bathroom shared between 2 ('standard'). All freshers are accomodated in the main college building. We get charged about £1000 per term for shared rooms, about £1200 (I think) for ensuites. Judging by the previous rent hikes, 2007 admissions will probably be paying £1200/£1500 per term but that's really a guesstimate.

If you can demonstrate geniune hardship I think they'll put you in a cheaper room.

The rooms themselves are okay, you get a bed, desk, drawers, small coffee table, notice board, a couple of lamps, 2 chairs, and a built-in wardrobe. Most rooms also have either balconies (shared between 2) or open directly onto a walkway.

Just for you I've measured my 'standard' room: about 9'6" by 13'6". And a stunning view of the mildly phallic university library.

Thanks for the reply....helps quite a bit.
Robinson May Ball last night.

Was pretty damn great!
Reply 33
thefish_uk
Robinson May Ball last night.

Was pretty damn great!

:ditto:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Reply 34
Nichrome
Does anybodies status page on the robinson website update that they have recieved things like GCSE certificates and stuff? I sent mine off a few weeks ago but still no update! :confused:

Hmmm, thats a bit wierd because mines have been done (although I sent mines sometime in April) If I were you I would ring the admissions office to be sure. Did you send by recorded post?
Reply 35
Nichrome
Nope, I sent my financial notification and GCSE certs + photos, but neither have materialised on the status summary page. Guess I will give them a ring then.

Hopefully it didnt get lost somewhere. Give them a ring to make sure they didnt just forget to update the information. Hope everythings ok...
hsitin
Hopefully it didnt get lost somewhere. Give them a ring to make sure they didnt just forget to update the information. Hope everythings ok...

Come on new people... show yourselves :p:
Reply 37
New person....showing himself lol
Made my 3A offer, bloody relieved.
Cant wait to start at Robinson.....any other freshers?
Reply 38
Nichrome
Aye, made my offer of four A's! Looking forward to going up on the 29th :biggrin:

What sub are you doing again Nichrome?
Reply 39
Its the lawyers life for me lol

Quick Reply

Latest