The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Robinson College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I'd say put them in your bed or in the lockable cupboard (if you have one).

Some people have proper solid (expensive!) trunks which I think get left down there all term, even when empty. However stuff gets piled on top of other stuff down there, and also trodden on if it's put in a stupid place such as in the middle of the open end of an aisle. So I'd trust a proper box down there, or even a suitcase that's packed full, but if it's empty you might find it gets damaged.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
donaldduck
I know there is a trunk room for out stuff whenever we go home during the holidays but can you leave luggage in it during term time? As I will by flying over all my clothes will have to go into cases and I obvioulsy don't want to have them taking up space in my room while I am there.......

Try getting yourself into Room 16, 2 Adams Rd. That will solve your problem.

MB
Reply 62
Im starting at robinson in just under a month to read sps, dont know anyone going to my college but im hoping this is very normal:redface: !
scott07780
Im starting at robinson in just under a month to read sps, dont know anyone going to my college but im hoping this is very normal:redface: !

It is very normal indeed.

Don't worry before long you will thanks to the college aunts and uncles system. If you're on Facebook, there's also a "Robinson Freshers' 2007" group which some people have joined.
Reply 64
Nichrome
Aye, I am on that! :biggrin:

As am I !
Nichrome
Has anyone received their freshers packs? I'm sure robinson said they would write to me this week, but I've received nothing since results day.

Apparently some people had to have re-marks so the list of freshers was only finalised about a week ago so everything is running a tiny bit slow. Us current students only found out who our nephews and neices are the start of this week, when last year we'd had our letters from our aunts and uncles by then!

You'll still have plenty of time though. The stuff they send you through the post is lame - wait for the heap of stuff they put on your bed when you get there. Ugh...
Reply 66
Got my freshers pack today....pretty much standard stuff i guess. Doctors forms, freshers timetable etc

Anyone know what room I14 is like?
Yeah, I got a letter with the new college handbook and asking me what day I'm going up next year.

If it's room number 13, 14 or 15 and on staircases G onwards then it's a top (4th) floor room. With the exception of a "Value" room which is number 13 (I THINK it's 13, might be 15) all these rooms are garden facing... this is because the staircases on corners have three value rooms on the top floor rather than two standard plus ones, and as such one isn't garden facing.

If you have a low number on G onwards you have an ensuite on the first floor. If you have a 9, 10, 11, 12 you're sharing a bathroom with one other and on the third floor.

Also staircases H and I are above the auditorium meaning they don't have their own staircase to the ground... you have to go up G or J and along one of the walkways to get to H or I.

If you're on K or Q congratulations you're on a staircase with a lift. Any other staircase you can take these lifts up to the 2nd floor walkway and walk across.

As for A through F it's all different as there are ground floor rooms and basement rooms at garden level.

Phew. Good luck making sense of that!
Reply 68
Wow thats a lot to take in lol
Thanks for the info though

Looks like I have a garden facing room...not too shabby :smile:
thefish_uk

If it's room number 13, 14 or 15 and on staircases G onwards then it's a top (4th) floor room. With the exception of a "Value" room which is number 13 (I THINK it's 13, might be 15) all these rooms are garden facing... this is because the staircases on corners have three value rooms on the top floor rather than two standard plus ones, and as such one isn't garden facing.

Hang on, this is wrong. The only Value rooms on the top floor are in F, J, or S staircase. Otherwise, there are four rooms on each floor and everything is either standard or standard plus. Ok, so working out what your room's gonna be like:

Staircases A:

Has a lot of random rooms which I don't think in general get allocated to first years. Those rooms that are allocated will be the more normal rooms on this staircase.

Staircases B-E

Rooms 1+2 are on basement floor/garden level, and aren't available to first years.

Rooms 3-6 are on the first floor, with 4 and 5 being garden facing and 3 and 6 having slightly dodgy views of Herschel Court. For first years, a lot of people allocated these rooms will have students who need pianos (music students and organ scholars).

Rooms 7 and 10 (8+9 are for second and third years) face inward and are on the first walkway. They have a bit of a **** view, but are generally nice rooms, with ensuite.

Rooms 11-14 are similar to 7-10, and 12+13 are garden facing (and will be taken by older students).

From here on up, the rooms have shared bathrooms, Those which are garden facing are 16, 17, and 19 (I think, although it may be 20).

F Staircase is a bit different, in that it has a bizarre top floor with a tiny room, which is value (it has a very cool balcony, but don't tell college).

Staircases G-I are on front court, and particularly those facing inwards are a bit noisy. Rooms 1-4 are equivalent to rooms 7-10 in staircases B-E, rooms 5-8 are equivalent to room 11-14, 9-12 are like 15-18 in B-E, and 13+14 are like 19+20 in B-E.

J Staircase has some weird rooms in it. If you get J8 then you're just expected to have lots of parties. There's also a small room at the top (J15, I think, which is inward-facing and value.

Staircases K-P are on Long court and are very similar to those on main court. This bit of college is good to be in cos it's near the bar. Rooms go up to 14 on each staircase, and I can't remember if the kitchens are just at the top, so I can't remember which are garden facing.

Staircases Q+R are on high court, and have some nice rooms, although Q has a lift, which apparently can be annoying but is good for moving in if you have a room near the top. S staircase again has nice rooms, but also has the weird deformed bit at the top with a value room (which is S11).

Q also has the College nurse's office, although I'm not convinced she actually exists.

Hope this helps.

MB
Reply 70
musicbloke

Hope this helps.

MB

Yeh wicked, thanks alot.
Reply 71
musicbloke
There's also a small room at the top (J15, I think, which is inward-facing and value.
It's J13.

Now I can feel like I've contributed something.
Nichrome
Hey guys, who do you make the cheque for the room deposit payable to? Just Robinson College? It doesn't actually say on the letter....:p:

That should do it.
Reply 73
Hey. Just checking.. my room number is L7, does that mean I've got ensuite? Thanks. x
Weird, I didn't think that L7 was a fresher room.

MB
Jim Arnold
It wasn't, last year. I s'pose nobody wanted it.

That doesn't sound right. It's a very desirable room - long court garden facing ensuite. They're like the ones that get snapped up first by third years. Maybe someone failed, or I'm being dense or something.

MB
Reply 76
hello, wondering if there were any robinson college engineers on this board. im applying this year and would love to know more about engineering at robinson/cambridge
andyhk
hello, wondering if there were any robinson college engineers on this board. im applying this year and would love to know more about engineering at robinson/cambridge

Hi :biggrin:

What would you like to know? Just some general info specific to 'Binson:

Robinson aims to admit 12 engineers each year... one or two of these become traitors after their first year and go off and join Chemical Engineering. I think in general Robinson has done well compared to other colleges in Engineering in recent years, though this all depends on the students of course.

We are about 10 minutes cycle ride from the department, so you can leave your room at 8.45 and get there in time for 9am lectures. Or about 25-30 minutes walk if you go at a decent pace.
Reply 78
cheers mate. all sounds pretty good.

how are the fellows over in robinson? what are their fields of expertise etc?

cheers in advance
andyhk
cheers mate. all sounds pretty good.

how are the fellows over in robinson? what are their fields of expertise etc?

cheers in advance

You can find a list of the DoSes here. There's also a link to see all the other fellows - you can tell if they're engineering by if they have "eng.cam.ac.uk" in their web address.

The main guy is into Tribology (friction) and as far as I know is one of the top Mechanical Engineering professors in the department. He supervises for Mechanical Engineering but isn't really teaching-orientated in general. The first year DoS is quite young, big into thermodynamics and in the middle of designing some fantastic new heat engine. I don't know much about the other DoS (I think I have him this directing my studies this coming year though) but I think that he and the other engineering fellows are into thermodynamics or other mechanical things.

There's also a materials scientist and a physicist (though really an electrical engineer at heart) who supervise in materials and electrical respectively and are really good. Structures is a bit of an odd one though as we've had two completely random people from outside college for that, as there's currently no college fellow who's into it. In general supervisors are good though.

The good thing about the collegiate system is you can take your DoS and supervisors out for a meal and get them pissed at the end of term!

That's for the first year anyway... don't know about second year onwards!

Quick Reply