The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Robinson College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
hii!
i think ive decided to apply to robinson for medicine....how is it?! any robinson medics on here?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 81
Im going to be in room j1 ne one on here going to ne my neighbour?
Reply 82
scott07780
Im going to be in room j1 ne one on here going to ne my neighbour?

I'm in I14 which isnt that far (i think). What subject you doing?
Reply 83
Im doing sps how about you?
Reply 84
A just seen where it says law :smile:
Reply 85
scott07780
A just seen where it says law :smile:

:biggrin: What time are you getting to Robinson?
Reply 86
Nichrome
Is there a laundrette in Robinson? I can't find anything in the freshers pack about washing your clothes! :redface:

:biggrin: There is. You'll need to buy your own powder though. £1.30 for 1 wash cycle and 30p for 1 tumble-dry cycle. You can borrow an iron from the Plodge if you decide that ironing is for you.
yusufu
:biggrin: There is. You'll need to buy your own powder though. £1.30 for 1 wash cycle and 30p for 1 tumble-dry cycle. You can borrow an iron from the Plodge if you decide that ironing is for you.

Or you can borrow it from Yusuf, the metrosexual second year mathmo. :wink:

You have to get a payment card from the p'lodge and put it into a machine that eats £10 notes and makes nasty crunching noises. While you're there ask them what the code for the laundry door is. When you actually get down there, I recommend the 40 degree "Minimum iron" wash, hasn't ruined any of my clothes yet... oh, and also add about 5 minutes to the time that the tumble drier is supposed to take if you don't want to be sitting there watching it go round and round (although the first time I ever used it I did, I really don't know how I managed to entertain myself for so long in there).
Reply 88
thefish_uk
Or you can borrow it from Yusuf, the metrosexual second year mathmo. :wink:

You have to get a payment card from the p'lodge and put it into a machine that eats £10 notes and makes nasty crunching noises. While you're there ask them what the code for the laundry door is. When you actually get down there, I recommend the 40 degree "Minimum iron" wash, hasn't ruined any of my clothes yet... oh, and also add about 5 minutes to the time that the tumble drier is supposed to take if you don't want to be sitting there watching it go round and round (although the first time I ever used it I did, I really don't know how I managed to entertain myself for so long in there).

I prefer the 60 degree Uni-clothes cycle. That with Sainsbury's blue box washing powder leads to properly washed clothes.
Reply 89
cheers fish! info and help is much appreciated!
Reply 90
hsitin
:biggrin: What time are you getting to Robinson?

I think im getting there in the morning how about u?
Reply 91
scott07780
I think im getting there in the morning how about u?

Ah ok...i was thinking about 1pm ish
Would advise that you get there as early as you can. Parking is a complete nightmare on Freshers' Saturday. Took my parents half hour to find a space last year at (arrived about 11.30am) , was alright for me though they dropped me off at the front entrance of college to go sign my residence agreement and pick up my key and sit in my new room waiting for them :smile:

9am arrival (that means on the road for 7am) for me this time.

Also prepare for one of the most exhausting days of your life as you inevitably don't get enough sleep beforehand, move in, say bye to parents and spend all evening meeting new people and partying till 1am (and that's just the "official" party, I understood some people last year then went off to each other's rooms).
Reply 93
thefish_uk
Would advise that you get there as early as you can. Parking is a complete nightmare on Freshers' Saturday. Took my parents half hour to find a space last year at (arrived about 11.30am) , was alright for me though they dropped me off at the front entrance of college to go sign my residence agreement and pick up my key and sit in my new room waiting for them :smile:

9am arrival (that means on the road for 7am) for me this time.

Also prepare for one of the most exhausting days of your life as you inevitably don't get enough sleep beforehand, move in, say bye to parents and spend all evening meeting new people and partying till 1am (and that's just the "official" party, I understood some people last year then went off to each other's rooms).

I remember last year I was too shattered to go to the bop on the Saturday night. Was asleep by 10pm I think!
Herschel Road side entrance for me this year though so I won't mind being parked halfway down the road.
I'm thinking about Robinson... :smile:

Pros and Cons anyone? :smile:
Reply 95
city_chic
I'm thinking about Robinson... :smile:

Pros and Cons anyone? :smile:

Pros. It's an awesome college. accommodation is very good. food is also amazing (especially the desserts!). Off the tourist track.

Cons. Only one that I can think of: it's a little way from the centre. 10 mins walk. keeps you healthy though.

what subject are you thinking of?
Jim Arnold
Pro: reputed as something of a party college. Isn't really.

Compared to, say, Christ's we are... however the tutorial office are slightly strict when it comes to letting people organise ents. ie. we have one full-sized ent (as opposed to cheesy bop) per year plus a may ball.

Pro: quality may ball, also the cheapest, reputation for being the best value for money.

Con: ate too many desserts last year. got fat.
any vegans at robinson? i'm thinkin of applyin 2008..
Reply 98
thefish_uk
Would advise that you get there as early as you can. Parking is a complete nightmare on Freshers' Saturday.
In my first term I arrived sometime in the afternoon and didn't have too much trouble finding a space. Ever since then it's been horrible at the beginning of every term though, especially since the amount of stuff I have has steadily increased. Except when I was in Romsey.

A big Robinson pro, in my opinion, is its closeness to the West Cambridge site (where the Physics and Compsci departments are). It's not amazingly useful in the 1st and 2nd years but it's great in the 3rd and 4th years.
Reply 99
These new chairs are so ****ty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending