The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Robinson College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Well. there isnt a thread in the Colleges section. so im starting one... any Robinsonites around? hopefuls or current students

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, I'm a third year music student. Happy to answer any of your questions.

MB
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Me too.
Reply 3
Jim Arnold
Yes. The college that's consistently bottom of the tables, nicknamed the car park, banned from having a drinking society, allegedly miles away (it's actually got nothing on Churchill, Homerton or Fitz) and is constantly on the verge of bankrupcy. That's us. At least the food is supposedly good. In reality the food follows the standard formula of "chewy meat + generic cheese".

I take it you don't like Robinson then? Providing I meet my offer I will hopefully being joining you at Robinson in October!
Jim Arnold
I go there, so of course I love it. It's ace. All the things I listed I'm proud of. Except the food. But I guess the cooks are stuck with what they're given.

We are not bottom of the table, we are slightly above the middle I think; for engineering last year we were 3rd out of them all. I've also never heard us be referred to as the car park...

Ah, Robinson Rentals. lol. Having a drinking society banned for (allegedly) trying to sink punts full of children is definately something to be proud of. Apparently one of the stash shops in town still sells the ties.

As far as food goes, I think it's generally quite good. But that's because my mum can't cook so I don't know what proper food tastes like. I have spoken to people from supposedly "better" colleges such as John's, who have been envious of things we have such as a make-your-own-baguette counter in our cafeteria.

Anyway current students on here - Big Y is a first year mathmo, Jim there is a first year lawyer, mrcheese is a first year architect, Toxic Kitten and Rogery first year bionatscis... plus me of course. And Supermerp, third year physics. Perhaps stick a nice table in the first post?
Reply 5
Jim Arnold
I go there, so of course I love it. It's ace. All the things I listed I'm proud of. Except the food. But I guess the cooks are stuck with what they're given.

They do make a devilishly good Lemon and Meringue Pie, although this could have been bought rather than made in college.
Reply 6
Nichrome
Hey guys, I hold an offer for Robinson college for Phys Natsci! musicbloke I think you were in the JCR while I was waiting for my interview, asking a physicist why you can spin a book on your finger....at least I think that was you! Ah well :wink:
Was he asking one of the people who took candidates to their supervisions? Did he get the right answer?
Nichrome
Hey guys, I hold an offer for Robinson college for Phys Natsci! musicbloke I think you were in the JCR while I was waiting for my interview, asking a physicist why you can spin a book on your finger....at least I think that was you! Ah well :wink:

It was likely to be him, he is the only person I know who sits in the JCR spinning books on his finger whilst talking to interviewees.

Hey, I might have been there too! I might have met you! Except a lot of interviewees thought I was also an interviewee, probably because I'm short and young looking.
yeah, it was me spinning the books.

MB
Reply 9
Grades permitting I hope i'll be joining you guys at Robinson.
Doesnt sound half as bad as the other colleges and i've tasted the food. Not bad considering sidney's food.
Reply 10
Well done and happy new year peeps. Btw I think the foods ****ing great what are you ****heads on about..
Reply 11
The rent at binson is a ****ing bitch though
Jim Arnold
Well good luck - not that you need it if you've got an offer. It's a great atmosphere, nice rooms, despite my critique it's a good place to be. I'm there NOW! Is awesome.

Ah there for fecking boatie week, ya fecking boatie. Oh well maybe you can help me move in on Saturday, I do live pretty much directly above you :wink:

Hmm the rent is high because they're fixing it for 3 years meaning that hopefully in our third year we'll be paying less than people at other colleges. And they include KFC and all that strange stuff.

It's true though, don't expect your student loan to go very far once you've paid your rent... but to be honest Cambridge in general is damn expensive.
Reply 13
Jim Arnold
Well good luck - not that you need it if you've got an offer. It's a great atmosphere, nice rooms, despite my critique it's a good place to be. I'm there NOW! Is awesome.

How's rowing week going? But of interest, how many from our boat came for it?
Jim Arnold
So far? 1 (me). There are 5 in total from Michaelmas' novices.

See, you talk about rowing and it totally kills the thread :p:

Back on Saturday! woooo!
Reply 15
I'm robinson, but I'm not in here as much as I used to be.
Reply 16
what is the (dreadful) stereotype given to Robinson college? (...if there is one and it might not be dreadful:smile:)
ambiguous
what is the (dreadful) stereotype given to Robinson college? (...if there is one and it might not be dreadful:smile:)

There's the one that says our college looks like a multi storey car park. But it really doesn't... and I've only heard it once in real life from one guy who was trying to piss me off.

Oh and about the students, we're apathetic as hell, apparently.
Reply 18
thefish_uk
There's the one that says our college looks like a multi storey car park. But it really doesn't... and I've only heard it once in real life from one guy who was trying to piss me off.

Oh and about the students, we're apathetic as hell, apparently.

People generally haven't heard of Robinson either. Even some of those who are studying at Cambridge.
We're also supposed to be a really relaxed college (probably comes from the apathetic rumours).
Big Y
People generally haven't heard of Robinson either. Even some of those who are studying at Cambridge.
We're also supposed to be a really relaxed college (probably comes from the apathetic rumours).

Yes... I was speaking to a guy from Christ's the other day and he said that when he arrived there, many other people were like "what!? go out!? must do work!!"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending