The Student Room Group

Finding Housemates

The second term at my uni is about to start and already people are starting to sort out who they're going to live with next year. It's all moving a bit too fast for me as I'm quite slow to make close friends and I don't feel like I know my new friends well enough to just ask them outright if they would mind me living with them. I'm a bit scared that everyone will have formed house groups and I'll end up getting left out... what would I do?? Anyone had similar experiences? Thanks.
Reply 1
I had a problem with this, as all my friends from my course were local and still lived with their parents, and most of the people in my first year halls were Erasmus students or final years, so they weren't coming back. I applied for halls again the 2nd year and got put with random people, or else you can look for a shared house with random people (I did this last year). It can be good to meet new people and have a different home life and uni life - I think some of my uni friends might drive me mad if I lived with them.
It's prolly not as hard as you think. Instead of just going for the whole either 'living with best mates' or 'living with strangers' strategy, why not opt for acquaintences?

This is what I've done, I live with a girl in my biology course, and two other people who I didn't really know before, but do now. This means no disputes and the egg-shell thing if awkward situations arise, and they're not exactly strangers either as we all go to the same uni :biggrin:

We do have to move out in March though which is worrying... But I'll think about that later :p:

Good luck with your move x

EDIT: Also what Izzy Wizzy said :biggrin:
You're not staying in St Andrews, are you? I need to sort out where I'm going to live next year, and it's insane...

I like the idea of sharing with acquantances. Also, I would be slightly wary of sharing with a whole load of people who are on the same course as you - I'm pretty certain that I don't want to spend all day going to lectures with the same people I have to live with.
Reply 4
try asking aquaintances/friends who theyre planning to live with next year? It's just out of interest when i ask but quite a good strategy I think.

Personally, i'm just going to live with some of my current flatmates next yr. In a way i'm envious of you because you're not "tied down".

Maybe find someone in the same situation as you and see if you can find another housemate? It must be hard to try and live with people who are already good friends, but if they like you, they might appreciate a new person. I think i'd quite like if someone nice and friendly wanted to live with us next year.

and you should bite the bullet and suggest living with your friends at uni. good luck.
Reply 5
ask people on your subject

Latest

Trending

Trending