The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Cowz
Oxbridge is NOT NOT NOT worth taking a year out for. Simple.

That's entirely subjective, especially when you consider the wealth of experience gained during the application process, and better still, if you receive an offer the second time around. It'll make you even more aware of your strengths and weaknesses. I would recommend people to reapply provided they have reasonable and informed expectations.
Reply 21
I think (as Knogle has said) it all boils down to whether you can face being rejected again or not.
Reply 22
heninacoop
I think (as Knogle has said) it all boils down to whether you can face being rejected again or not.

Pretty much, yes. Ask yourself how much you really want to be at Oxford. Ask yourself about your plans for your gap year. Ask if you think you can really submit a substantially better application which will dramatically improve your chances. Ask if you're willing to face the pressure from family and friends who will likely ridicule you for taking a year out just for Oxford. Plenty of factors to consider my friend. :smile:
Cowz
Kathyrn, sorry to be the one that ruins the party, but if you got rejected you got rejected. They are not interested in hiring charity workers etc., they simply want good prospective students. If you failed at interview, it simply is because they don't think you are sharp enough, no amount of work experience is ever going to change their mind. On the off chance they do give you another interview, you would have a significant advantage over first time applicants and would have to do ALOT to convince them to take you on. To be honest, most people who had been through the interview process once and then had A WHOLE YEAR to plan for the next one should 'pass' the interview without hesitation. However, for a second time applicant, an outstanding performace would be required for them to take you on. If you like, an outstanding performace second time round is like a simple pass first time round. Given that you failed your interview, there is no reason to expect you will pass second time round.

On a more personal note, I am sick of people thinking Oxbridge is the be all and end all of everything. If you go to Durham, you are not a flipping failure. You are not suddenly going to be sweeping floors for a living (sorry all you cleaners reading this!) and nor are you going to be surrounded by idiots. Oxbridge graduates are not particually any better or any worse than other graduates. If you get a third from Oxford then you are still going to have to consider a PGDip. If you get a 1st from (say) Oxford Brookes you are still going to have a fantastic career laid out infront of you. Actually, come to think of it, if you Oxford so much, why not apply to Oxford Brookes?

Anyway, are you SERIOUSLY considering putting your life on hold for a year (note:academically you will deteriate alot over that year) just because you want to go to Oxford so much? Most people would consider you desperate and you're going to look REALLY pathetic if you don't get in the second time.

I agree with Cowz. To be brutally honest, they only reject people that they don't think are good enough for Oxbridge. I got rejected from Cambridge last year, and although I got some offers from amazing unis for last year (UCL and Bristol), I decided to take a year out and seriously think about where I wanted to go. I would have never considered reapplying for Oxbridge this year, even though I got 3 As at A2, because I couldnt face being rejected again. I just thought, "oh well, I wasn't good enough, but it was worth a shot". You've got to think that there's a high chance of being rejected again (not because you're bad, other people are amazing), and is that really worth wasting a year in your life for? Durham is an great uni, and in the long run, your job prospects aren't really going to be that different if you go to Oxbridge as opposed to somewhere like Durham/Warwick/UCL.
By all means, if you really, really think that you've got a good shot of getting in next year, then go for it. But make sure you weigh up the pros/cons. Oh and btw, what are your GCSE/AS grades like?

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Reply 24
:ditto:
I really wouldn't advise reapplying unless you have no offers. You have an offer from Durham which many would give their right arm for :smile:
I think that one of the main reasons that a lot of people feel this bad upon an Oxbridge rejection (and thus consider reapplying) is because Oxford and Cambridge are the only universities where, if you get offered an interview, you will be spending 2-4 days in the city concerned. In that time you start to feel more comfortable with the place and with the uni than you do with those that you don't know as thoroughly. Consequently if you do get rejected you can feel worse. Would you feel so bad if you'd gone for an hour's interview and then come home again? I doubt it.
I applied for English at Pembroke last year, had a bit of a rubbish interview experience and got rejected. I accepted Bristol for English and then decided to withdraw on results day, take an unplanned gap year and reapply for Law, and thankfully, I got in :smile: However, I really wish I'd applied for Law first time round, but I chose English because I wasn't sure if I was going to be suited to Law or not, which was stupid of me, I'll admit. Although I'm so thankful (and relieved!) that I got into Oxford this time, at a really really lovely college, I still am hating every minute of my gap year....it's being like stuck in limbo, waiting for June to come around so I can go travelling with my boyfriend (who's currently at Oxford.) I feel quite lonely a lot of the time, because most of my friends are at uni/in Thailand etc and I miss my boyfriend all the time *sniff *sniff - okay, self pity over now :wink: However, I understand that this is a sacrifice I had to make to get where I wanted to be in the long run. Durham's a great place, and I think that you should only take a gap year if you thought that you were hard done by during the interviews, and truly want to go to Oxford over any other unis - otherwise a gap year is a bit of a pain in the arse, to be frank :smile:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do...xxx
Reply 26
Ok to try and answers all the questions...
My GCSE grades were 8 A* and 4 A, I got 4 A and 1 B at AS and have continued with my 4 A and am predicted all A grades at A2.
I don't know yet what I would do on my Gap Year - its still really early for me in my thought process... probably continue learning my languages - I am learning French in school and German out of school - get some work expereince... do some courses... Idon't know yet... trust me I wont just be sitting on my ass doing nothing!! maybe even work a bit but only if I can get a job that will actually help my mental wellbeing or whatever rather than just being boring and help me earn.
Ok, this is the other thing I need to consider - should I go for Law this time round rather than PPE... because I chose PPE after considering Law, but maybe I should go back to Law? maybe PPE isnt the course for me otherwise I would have been more keen to take my Durham offer... I know that Durham is a good uni but I just have no motivatin to go there at all... I know my parents are really worried that I am going to underachieve at the moment because I just dont care about doing PPE at Durham at all... and if I really loved PPE shouldn't I be happy to study it anywhere?
My head is a mess - I wish I knew what to do...
Thanks for all the wishes of good luck!!
All advice already given and hopefully still to come is deeply appreciated!
my friend's bro got rejected the first time, reapplied the next year and got in.
Let's compare this whole thing to "Deal or no Deal".

There are two boxes left, £250,000 (Oxford) and 1p (Getting rejected from good unis next year and having nowhere to go). The banker calls you up and offers you £200,000 (Durham).

You'd have to be an idiot, or an insanely brave person to go for the gamble., which is similar to the year out just for the sake of of a uni that's a bit better. Tbh, a 2:1 from Durham will never ever hold you back, and Durham is top of many applicants' lists; indeed it is an aspiration for many.

If you can suddenly 'grow' amazing academic potential (which is what they look for at interview) within the next year, then go for it. But seriously, unless you significantly underachieved this year (i.e. AS levels of BBCC and predictions of AAAA), take Durham.

I reapplied myself, having achieved AABCC at AS, and having predictions of AAAB. I got offers from a few mid-level unis for Law, but after achieving AAAA and the top AEA mark at our school, I decided that it was very much worthwhile reapplying. As it is, whereas before I was going to Kent, I am now headed for Durham, which last year was the Times University of the Year, and the third best for Law after Oxbridge. I didn't get into Cambridge, but tbh, am not really that bothered as Durham was always a bit of a dream for me, and now I've achieved it I'm over the moon.

The reason most people reapply is that they are not happy with any of their offers and places, and they feel that it would really make a difference. My year out has made a huge difference for me and my career, having got into a significantly better uni than before. By all means, if Oxford is SO much better than Durham for PPE, then go for it. But to say "Oxford is the only place for me" might be seen as a tad naive. People do brilliantly at other unis, especially ones like Durham with an amazing reputation, and they usually have just as good a time. I have a friend who turned down a place (AAA) at Oxford's Balliol College Oxford for Durham (AAA also) after visiting it; he loved it so much. If you're good, you'll succeed. He just scored 89% in his end-of-term exams, which was top of his year (only 10 kids out of 150 got over 70%!). Clearly, Durham will not him back.

Oxbridge has its ups, but remember, it has its downs as well, i.e. the huge workload, short terms etc. Also, there is always the possibility that you'll get six rejections. It's unlikely, but possible. The fear really hit me a few weeks ago after my first reply was a rejection. To risk the £200,000, getting the 1p and going to a much worse uni, just for a difficult shot at the £250,000, is your choice to make.

If you could genuinely say that, if next year was terrible, and you only got into a mid-level uni that you weren't particularly happy with, you were satisfied with everything, knowing you'd risked it all for that shot, and could say "It was all worth it", then drop out and reapply. If you couldn't take losing both the £200k and the £250k, and going home with 1p, then don't reapply.

Sorry for the long post people, I'm on my lunch break and very bored! :redface:
Having read your other post, if you're not happy with PPE, drop out lol! I think that counts as not being happy with any of your offers :s-smilie: !

Law should be fine for you to get into with those grades, look at my offers lol! And my grades are way worse than yours! Plus, I only have two 'real' A levels; History and English; the other two are Drama+Theatre Studies and General Studies lol!

Good luck whatever you do!
ravenous_soup_dragon
I still am hating every minute of my gap year....it's being like stuck in limbo. I feel quite lonely a lot of the time, because most of my friends are at uni/in Thailand etc. However, I understand that this is a sacrifice I had to make to get where I wanted to be in the long run. Durham's a great place, and I think that you should only take a gap year if you thought that you were hard done by during the interviews, and truly want to go to Oxford over any other unis - otherwise a gap year is a bit of a pain in the arse, to be frank :smile:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do...xxx

+1!!! Unplanned gap years are boring as hell!
Cowz
Oxbridge graduates are not particually any better or any worse than other graduates. If you get a third from Oxford then you are still going to have to consider a PGDip. If you get a 1st from (say) Oxford Brookes you are still going to have a fantastic career laid out infront of you. Actually, come to think of it, if you Oxford so much, why not apply to Oxford Brookes?

What a load of rubbish.
Angelil

I think that one of the main reasons that a lot of people feel this bad upon an Oxbridge rejection (and thus consider reapplying) is because Oxford and Cambridge are the only universities where, if you get offered an interview, you will be spending 2-4 days in the city concerned. In that time you start to feel more comfortable with the place and with the uni than you do with those that you don't know as thoroughly. Consequently if you do get rejected you can feel worse. Would you feel so bad if you'd gone for an hour's interview and then come home again? I doubt it.

Absolutely; going and staying overnight, even for one night at Cambridge, makes it seem all too real, too achievable. You can picture the next three years, and they're fantastic. Then you get rejected from that lovely college you spent the night in, and instead are faced with a load of names on pieces of paper that mean little more to you.
Ultimately you could end up in the same situation next year as everyone has said, having done an "unplanned" gap year. Only you can make that decision. Even if it was the interview that caused your downfall and you perform better at interview next year, there may be people next year who perform even better than the new improved you and you could still lose out.

I know you have your heart set on Oxford and if you've had this goal for a long time it's going to be difficult to envisage yourself being happy or successful anywhere else. However, the simple fact is that Oxford didn't want you. You can either put your life on hold and hope for next year or realise it wasn't right for you in the first place and give Durham a chance.
Reply 34
Can you not go to Durham for this year and reapply to Oxford again anyway? In case you get accepeted to Oxford you can switch university then, and if you get rejected again you didn't lose a whole year?
Reply 35
Tawy
Can you not go to Durham for this year and reapply to Oxford again anyway? In case you get accepeted to Oxford you can switch university then, and if you get rejected again you didn't lose a whole year?

If you're going to reapply, you need to withdraw your entire first application.
Reply 36
i know, i wanted to do that with Durham and Oxford at the same time... I guess it makes sense that they don't allow it but I still wish they would!!
To be honest I am just going to take some time at the moment I think... try to figure out what I want... It is only January, I have a lot of time... I need to decide where my heart lies... and until then just going to work towards getting my 4 A grades so that if I decide to reapply I will be in the best position possible!! =]
Angelil
:ditto:

Lol, says you.

The nerve of some people.
kathryn
i know, i wanted to do that with Durham and Oxford at the same time... I guess it makes sense that they don't allow it but I still wish they would!!
To be honest I am just going to take some time at the moment I think... try to figure out what I want... It is only January, I have a lot of time... I need to decide where my heart lies... and until then just going to work towards getting my 4 A grades so that if I decide to reapply I will be in the best position possible!! =]

It seems like you want to go to Oxford, for the sake of going to Oxford. While I can empathise, is it really worth it in case you get rejected again?
Reply 39
Pretty Boy Floyd
It seems like you want to go to Oxford, for the sake of going to Oxford. While I can empathise, is it really worth it in case you get rejected again?

i dont know. thats part of my problem. thats why i am going to give it some time.
i think it might be. i am not sure yet. i have never wanted anything like this. this is the only thing i have ever dreamed of. the only thing i ever really worked and worked for. since i was tiny i have wanted to go to oxford...
so yea
basically i dont know.
im not much use there am i?

Latest

Trending

Trending