The Student Room Group

University Air Squadron Questions

Hi all,

Having been interested in a career in the air force since the age of 5, I am now getting to the point where I will be able to apply. I am going to finish A levels (obviously) and probably go to Uni (Birmingham, Bristol or Manchester) as my A levels demand it. I am interested in the pilot branch, preferably fast jet- with this in mind I would like to ask a few questions about University Air Squadrons:

- How would shadowing an officer in the pilot branch work?

- On the UAS website it says I can possibly fly during summer attachment- Is there anything I can do to prepare if I strike lucky and get a Typhoon Flight?

- How much would it interfere with a Biological Sciences Degree?

- Does it affect what aircraft type I get streamed into?

- What is the selection process for UAS like? Should I just pretend I'm going straight into the AFCO/OASC interview?

- What do other students and RAF personnel seem to think of it?

Much Appreciated!
Reply 1
Read the very very big UAS sticky thread at the top of this forum.

Original post by doggygowoofwoof
You turn up at the station, they show you the day to day operations and activities they do. You might, maybe, possibly, get a flight. But don't count on it.

- On the UAS website it says I can possibly fly during summer attachment- Is there anything I can do to prepare if I strike lucky and get a Typhoon Flight?
Other than not have a head cold at the time, no, not really.

As much or as little as you let it. It's up to you too manage your time properly. You're an adult and you're at university to get a degree, you have to take that responsibility on.

Not even slightly.

- What is the selection process for UAS like? Should I just pretend I'm going straight into the AFCO/OASC interview?
Read the many many many many other threads on the subject, this has been done to death. You can find that out very easily if you've got half a brain.

Students who are on it generally love it. RAF officers who used to be on one love them. Some RAF officers who weren't on them aren't too keen.
Much Appreciated!
Flying wise, if you're good (and take the flying seriously) it isn't going to be a hindrance to future streaming - EFT isn't a long course and depending on how much flying you can do on the UAS, you can enter a streaming board with 50-100% more flying experience than your non UAS peers.

On the flip side, a UAS graduate who completes the core syllabus on the UAS within a certain time of starting EFT will do a syllabus which is 10hrs shorter!

Interview wise - treat it as you would an AFCO filter/OASC interview and give a competent performance and, in my experience, you'll be ahead of at least 75% of the other candidates!
Original post by doggygowoofwoof
Hi all,

Having been interested in a career in the air force since the age of 5, I am now getting to the point where I will be able to apply. I am going to finish A levels (obviously) and probably go to Uni (Birmingham, Bristol or Manchester) as my A levels demand it. I am interested in the pilot branch, preferably fast jet- with this in mind I would like to ask a few questions about University Air Squadrons:

Much Appreciated!

I hope this helps. In order:

If you shadowed a pilot on an SVA you would visit the RAF station the pilot is based at. During the working week you would be shown around the station by the pilot. Because most pilots are either instructors or students you will often find yourself with other officers because the pilot you shadow will have other commitments as part of their working week.

I assume you mean 'what can I do to increase my chances of flying in a Typhoon jet on a Summer Vacation Attachment (SVA)?'- there isn't really any way to increase your chances other than to be medically fit for the flight.

Being a member of a UAS involves compulsory and voluntary efforts. As a student myself undertaking a physical sciences degree at a Russell Group university, I believe you wouldn't find your degree result affected by taking part in the compulsory elements of UAS membership.

Being on a UAS doesn't directly affect how you are streamed once you have completed Elementary Flying Training (EFT), however you may find that the extra experience of flying a light aircraft on the UAS may improve your EFT score allowing you to warrant those streams which require higher EFT scores, such as the fast jet stream, if you select them as your preference.

The selection for each UAS varies, however all follow a selection procedure similar to that at OASC.

Some RAF personnel, and most university students, are unaware that the UAS exists.

Quick Reply

Latest