The Student Room Group

Why do most poor people vote conservative?

During the time of the election, I noticed a lot of poor unemployed people voting for the conservative party. Why did these people shoot themselves in the foot by making their life (and their children's life) so much more difficult? Do people like to sacrifice themselves for the greater good of the country? Are people really so far up their own bottoms? I wonder if this is some kind of altruistic gesture. It does seem like it to me...

It would be interesting to be some statistics on this.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Maybe because they wanted an EU referendum?
Reply 2
Original post by william walker

Then they should have voted for the working man's party, UKIP, no?
Original post by Michael P
Then they should have voted for the working man's party, UKIP, no?

UKIP wasn't likely to win. The Conservative were. People maybe poor, but they aren't dumb.
Reply 4
UKIP wasn't likely to win. The Conservative were. People maybe poor, but they aren't dumb.

Well, maybe some wanted an EU referendum, but I expect most people didn't.
Reply 5
Perhaps they are optimistic about the Conservative economic plan, and how continuing our fast-paced recovery may lead them to being able to find a job & thus provide for their family

A lot of people vote Conservative because they think it is best for the country, not just themselves you may be surprised to know. However I also somewhat agree with you - if I was unemployed or of low income background I certainly wouldn't vote conservative
Reply 6
Original post by Michael P
During the time of the election, I noticed a lot of poor unemployed people voting for the conservative party. Why did these people shoot themselves in the foot by making their life (and their children's life) so much more difficult? Do people like to sacrifice themselves for the greater good of the country? Are people really so far up their own bottoms? I wonder if this is some kind of altruistic gesture. It does seem like it to me...

It would be interesting to be some statistics on this.

Were you too scared of catching their diseases to ask them?
Because the way the labour party works is to keep people on benefits, thus keeping them reliant on the state. People, when they want to get off of benefits, cannot nder labour because that defeats the purpose of the labour party. Therefore, people will vote conservatives becasue long term it is better for them and their children, because it reduces the number of people on benefits and, as other people have said, are better for the economic helath of this country
Original post by anonlad
Perhaps they are optimistic about the Conservative economic plan, and how continuing our fast-paced recovery may lead them to being able to find a job & thus provide for their family

A lot of people vote Conservative because they think it is best for the country, not just themselves you may be surprised to know. However I also somewhat agree with you - if I was unemployed or of low income background I certainly wouldn't vote conservative

Fast paced recovery? This recovery has been one of the slowest ever recorded, and some economic indicators are still below pre-crisis levels (e.g. GDP per capita). The Conservative government have missed a lot of their own targets with things like the deficit, debt and maintaining our AAA credit rating (which failed, as it was downgraded), and has presided over quite a big decline in wages.
Poor and vote Labour 5 years on you would still be a poor pauper.
Poor and vote Conservative 5 years on you would be getting somewhere in life.

Good things about a Conservative government is its endless opportunities in business that opens up that means new jobs, new levels of prosperity and good governance that means more money in your pocket.

Prove on how good it is? Well don't have to look too far, just yesterday it was announced UK has the lowest rate of inflation in the western world. That means your cost of living especially all you lacking in financial means ones will get a financial break.
Show me these people, i have never met someone from a poor background who admitted to voting conservative :tongue:
Original post by RFowler
Fast paced recovery? This recovery has been one of the slowest ever recorded, and some economic indicators are still below pre-crisis levels (e.g. GDP per capita). The Conservative government have missed a lot of their own targets with things like the deficit, debt and maintaining our AAA credit rating (which failed, as it was downgraded), and has presided over quite a big decline in wages.

How has life been in the last few weeks of living under a Tory Majority? I hope it has been a living hell for you :colone:
Poor < £10,000 salary.

Labour: 20% tax on £3,525 - take home £9,295.

Conservative: take home all of it.
Because they're not all spiteful idiots who can be won over by 'we'll really stick it to the rich!' type policies.
Original post by The two eds
How has life been in the last few weeks of living under a Tory Majority? I hope it has been a living hell for you :colone:

I have major issues with all the parties, so it's not like I'm a disappointed diehard Labour supporter angry at the Tories. I'd be just as mistrustful of Labour if they got in.

I will watch and wait to see what the Conservatives do. Particularly on the environment, an area they've performed very poorly over the last 5 years.
Original post by TheIrrational
Poor < £10,000 salary.

Labour: 20% tax on £3,525 - take home £9,295.

Conservative: take home all of it.

Labour raise minimum wage so the tax is less than the increase in wages.
Because they placed faith in the Conservatives being the party of the ladder - offering them a chance to get on and create a better future for themselves and their family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Because they're not all spiteful idiots who can be won over by 'we'll really stick it to the rich!' type policies.

Because all Ed Millibands policies were so left wing...
The mainstream "left" has completely failed to engage with these people. what is refereed to as left nowadays is more about feminism, gay rights etc. This doesn't actually appeal to poorer people who are just trying to trying to make ends meet. To makes matters worse the left just sits on its high horse and calls these people racist or xenophobic for complaining about migration, well you can't blame them, the only people talking about the problems they face and giving solutions is the populist right. Lots of poor people in America support the Tea Party movement for for similar reasons. Simlary lots of people who would normally vote for labour in England have turned to UKIP.

Here's Chomsky talking about it :innocent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF3fHwlyYik

Labour only lost votes by not giving one. They should have adopted the stance the Greens have. We acknowledge that there are problems with the EU but on the whole we should stay in. But since we are democrats we will give a referednam and then campaign to stay in. Instead they did the typical arrogant thing of parading Blair saying we shouldn't let the public have any sway over such important decisions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alfissti
Poor and vote Labour 5 years on you would still be a poor pauper.
Poor and vote Conservative 5 years on you would be getting somewhere in life.

Good things about a Conservative government is its endless opportunities in business that opens up that means new jobs, new levels of prosperity and good governance that means more money in your pocket.

Prove on how good it is? Well don't have to look too far, just yesterday it was announced UK has the lowest rate of inflation in the western world. That means your cost of living especially all you lacking in financial means ones will get a financial break.

Lowest rate of inflation wont be something good when it becomes deflation.

Latest